10/22/11 Parley!! Will this get me on the ship any faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to drop by for a quick hello:wave: We (me, DH, DD3 and DD11 months) will be joining you guys in 8 weeks :goodvibes This is our first DCL cruise, so we are super excited! I did post some first-time cruiser questions on the general page and would appreciate input if anyone here has any. Can't wait to meet everyone!

Feel free to re-post your questions here. I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice! This will be our 7th Disney cruise - 6th on the Magic. There are lots of other experienced cruisers here, too.

Ask away!

Aww, thanks for the welcome guys. We are just starting to let DD3 in on where we are going. She knows we are going on a "family vacation" after my birthday. We'll probably let her know more just to get her prepared, but will keep some things a surprise.

I do have a few questions, so please bear with me...

1) Where should we stay pre-cruise? We will be arriving at CMO at 5:30pm the night before. Original plan was to book the Wingate by the airport with their hotel/shuttle deal (total $240). However, the shuttle does not leave the hotel until 11am. Second option is to book our own transportation and stay by the port. I am thinking the Radisson or the Country Inn. Is there any store nearby so we can buy beverages to take on the cruise that does not require a car? DH does not want to rent a car.

2) Does it make a huge difference when you get to port? If we get there at noon, would it be really crowded? I may want to try to change our dining time and Palo reservation. Would it be possible if we arrive at port at noon? Also, will we miss Mickey and friends if we arrive later?

3) We have late seating for dinner and are on the waiting list. Has anyone experienced late seating with young children? We are from the West Coast and were thinking of keeping the kids on our time zone, so 8:30pm would be around our normal dinner time.

4) Any recommended Disney excursions with very young children? I don't think we'll be adventurous this time around to get a taxi on our own, especially with the kids. Anything to do by the ports?

5) What are the chances we'll be able to book the Palo brunch on board?

Thank you in advance!

1) Where should we stay pre-cruise? We will be arriving at CMO at 5:30pm the night before. Original plan was to book the Wingate by the airport with their hotel/shuttle deal (total $240). However, the shuttle does not leave the hotel until 11am. Second option is to book our own transportation and stay by the port. I am thinking the Radisson or the Country Inn. Is there any store nearby so we can buy beverages to take on the cruise that does not require a car? DH does not want to rent a car.Not renting a car and wanting to go to the store maybe an issue unless you book a limo services that does a 30 min store stop on the way to your hotel. You can either take DCL transports or a limo from there as well. As for the 11AM shuttle, realize you have to book your arrival time now and I know the 11 -12 bookings are closed according to DCL website. There are a few cruisers here that are staying at the Radisson. We've stayed there before and it is a really nice hotel

2) Does it make a huge difference when you get to port? If we get there at noon, would it be really crowded? I may want to try to change our dining time and Palo reservation. Would it be possible if we arrive at port at noon? Also, will we miss Mickey and friends if we arrive later? Like I stated above you have to choose an arrival time. You can checkin on line at disneycruise.com and do that.

5) What are the chances we'll be able to book the Palo brunch on board? never say never but with your possible arrival time make sure you ask where you go to sign up for this when you get on the boat and head there.

Thanks for your response. I guess I should add that we have 12-12:30 arrival time. Is there any benefit in arriving earlier?

1) Where should we stay pre-cruise? We will be arriving at CMO at 5:30pm the night before. Original plan was to book the Wingate by the airport with their hotel/shuttle deal (total $240). However, the shuttle does not leave the hotel until 11am. Second option is to book our own transportation and stay by the port. I am thinking the Radisson or the Country Inn. Is there any store nearby so we can buy beverages to take on the cruise that does not require a car? DH does not want to rent a car.Not renting a car and wanting to go to the store maybe an issue unless you book a limo services that does a 30 min store stop on the way to your hotel. You can either take DCL transports or a limo from there as well. As for the 11AM shuttle, realize you have to book your arrival time now and I know the 11 -12 bookings are closed according to DCL website. There are a few cruisers here that are staying at the Radisson. We've stayed there before and it is a really nice hotel

2) Does it make a huge difference when you get to port? If we get there at noon, would it be really crowded? I may want to try to change our dining time and Palo reservation. Would it be possible if we arrive at port at noon? Also, will we miss Mickey and friends if we arrive later? Like I stated above you have to choose an arrival time. You can checkin on line at disneycruise.com and do that.

5) What are the chances we'll be able to book the Palo brunch on board? never say never but with your possible arrival time make sure you ask where you go to sign up for this when you get on the boat and head there.

Aww, thanks for the welcome guys. We are just starting to let DD3 in on where we are going. She knows we are going on a "family vacation" after my birthday. We'll probably let her know more just to get her prepared, but will keep some things a surprise.

I do have a few questions, so please bear with me...

1) Where should we stay pre-cruise? We will be arriving at CMO at 5:30pm the night before. Original plan was to book the Wingate by the airport with their hotel/shuttle deal (total $240). However, the shuttle does not leave the hotel until 11am. Second option is to book our own transportation and stay by the port. I am thinking the Radisson or the Country Inn. Is there any store nearby so we can buy beverages to take on the cruise that does not require a car? DH does not want to rent a car.

We live in northeastern Orlando, so we just drive to the port in the morning. However, I know a lot of people like to stay at the Radisson pre-cruise. There are a couple of restaurants within a half mile but I'm not aware of any stores to buy beverages. They do have a shuttle service to the ship that I have heard good things about. Country Inns and Suites is nearby as is Residence Inn, which also has a Hertz local edition where you could drop off a one-way rental but you mentioned that your DH doesn't want to do that.
As mentioned by minnieandmickey, you have to sign up for an arrival time at the port. At this point, I believe everything prior to noon is already booked, so taking the 1100 shuttle from the Wingate probably won't delay your boarding time.
Since shuttles charge per person and are only point-to-point, you may want to reconsider a one-way rental car so that you can go to the store and probably save some money in the process.

2) Does it make a huge difference when you get to port? If we get there at noon, would it be really crowded? I may want to try to change our dining time and Palo reservation. Would it be possible if we arrive at port at noon? Also, will we miss Mickey and friends if we arrive later?

Disney is trying to reduce the crowds by assigning arrival times to spread things out. They will have characters and entertainment in the check-in lobby for most of the afternoon. As soon as you get on board, you should go to Rockin' Bar D. That's where they will have cast members to help with both dining and Palo reservations. As I recall, they will be there from noon until 3:30.

3) We have late seating for dinner and are on the waiting list. Has anyone experienced late seating with young children? We are from the West Coast and were thinking of keeping the kids on our time zone, so 8:30pm would be around our normal dinner time.

We ALWAYS reserve late dining (we tend to follow the European tradition). We took two of our girls on our first cruise when they were 6 & 9. There were not a lot of other small children in the dining room; it seemed that most were at the earlier dining.

4) Any recommended Disney excursions with very young children? I don't think we'll be adventurous this time around to get a taxi on our own, especially with the kids. Anything to do by the ports?

Considering the ages of your children, I can't think of any excursions on St. Maarten or St. Thomas that they would really appreciate (although you and your DH certainly would!). You may want to just consider a day at the beach and/or time in the Magic pools when there won't be any crowds. On St. Maarten, you can take the water taxi to the downtown pier, which your 3 yo will probably enjoy, and then just walk down the beach a short distance and rent a couple of lounge chairs and an umbrella for $10-20 for the day, depending on who you talk to. Don't worry about finding someone to ask - they'll find you!!! On St. Thomas, you could take the excursion to Magen's Bay, an absolutely beautiful crescent-shaped beach on the north side of the island. Alternatively, you could simply take a taxi; there will be plenty available when we get off the ship. DW and I are going on a sail and snorkle excursion but, as I said, I think your children are too young to appreciate something like that. Word of caution: if you take a taxi or book a private excursion (not a Disney excursion) you are "on your own." If you are late getting back to the ship, it will sail without you (there are videos on YouTube of people running down the dock as the ship is sailing away). If you book your excursion through Disney, they WILL get you back on board. I have booked many independent tours over the years and never had a problem but I always give myself plenty of leeway.

5) What are the chances we'll be able to book the Palo brunch on board?

Palo brunch will be served on the 3 Sea Days. While there are no advance reservations remaining on the DCL web site, they always hold some for booking on board. Also, some people inevitably cancel while on board, so more open up. As with everything Disney, "there are no guarantees," but you have a pretty good chance of booking one.
Thank you in advance!

Hope this helps!

They are adorable! We own several rescues... :cat::cat::cat::cat::cat:

Or maybe I should say they 'own' us... :rotfl2:

Thanks! :hug:

They are incredibly un-catlike - they are much more like dogs. Very affectionate, personable and they actually come when you call them. I am very blessed to have these adorable creatures in my life.

Hats off to you for your rescues! :worship:

Just wanted to drop by for a quick hello:wave: We (me, DH, DD3 and DD11 months) will be joining you guys in 8 weeks :goodvibes This is our first DCL cruise, so we are super excited! I did post some first-time cruiser questions on the general page and would appreciate input if anyone here has any. Can't wait to meet everyone!

Welcome Aboard. My hubby Jeff & I are taking our first cruise. I am looking forward to putting faces and names together.

Thanks for all your help. We decided to stay closer to port. I booked CI&S through priceline bidding last night, $80 total. I placed the bid at $65 and got accepted. My first bid of $53 was rejected though. Just want to let people know in case they still need to book their hotel.

Since you are going to the Castle, it would be great if you could stay somewhere along the monorail. I think the Polynesian is the prettiest resort at WDW, "princessy" in a tropical way. Of course, a lot of big princesses think the Grand Floridian is the place to be. And the Animal Kingdom Lodge is spectacular. If you're looking for a moderate, I think Port Orleans French Quarter is charming.

Let us know what you decide.

I did some research this weekend and ouch! Disney hotels are expensive!! I haven't seen any discounts available for the weekend we are going so we will stay off site unless we see some type of discount pop up - can't pay that much for a place to sleep every night...

One day we will stay on Disney property that is more than just the campground :)

And Halloween costumes...

DD has just stated that she wants to be Lemon Meringue for Halloween from the Strawberry Shortcake gang. Here is the kicker... she would love for me to be Strawberry Shortcake :rotfl2:

I was Strawberry Shortcake for Halloween in 2nd grade - looks like I might be doing it again. No laughing at me if you see me on the ship dressed up for Halloween festivities :lmao:

A little late on the welcome but sending it anyway.

This is our first Disney cruise too (me, DH and DD5) :)

I did some research this weekend and ouch! Disney hotels are expensive!! I haven't seen any discounts available for the weekend we are going so we will stay off site unless we see some type of discount pop up - can't pay that much for a place to sleep every night...

One day we will stay on Disney property that is more than just the campground :)

It took winning a radio station Trip to Orlando contest for me to finally get to stay on the grounds too. But once we did, there was no looking back. :yay:

DD has just stated that she wants to be Lemon Meringue for Halloween from the Strawberry Shortcake gang. Here is the kicker... she would love for me to be Strawberry Shortcake :rotfl2:

I was Strawberry Shortcake for Halloween in 2nd grade - looks like I might be doing it again. No laughing at me if you see me on the ship dressed up for Halloween festivities :lmao:

Awwwww, you'll look so cute Melissa. I won't laugh but I'll probably stop you to take a picture. :cutie:

Thanks for all your help. We decided to stay closer to port. I booked CI&S through priceline bidding last night, $80 total. I placed the bid at $65 and got accepted. My first bid of $53 was rejected though. Just want to let people know in case they still need to book their hotel.

Darly, (I hope that's your name..:)) I believe that's where we stayed before our 2009 cruise and we loved it. You even get breakfast in the morning! :thumbsup2

We are also staying there, but did not get that good of a deal. We are paying $100 total with tax. We are renting a car from Budget from MCO to PC for the day before. We plan on making a beverage run at some point that evening, so if you need us to pick up something, we can meet up. We arrive in Orlando around 4:00 pm on 10/21.

We are also staying there, but did not get that good of a deal. We are paying $100 total with tax. We are renting a car from Budget from MCO to PC for the day before. We plan on making a beverage run at some point that evening, so if you need us to pick up something, we can meet up. We arrive in Orlando around 4:00 pm on 10/21.

It looks like we are coming in close to the same time! We should definitely meet up! We'll get in at 5:30 pm. Hoping to get to the hotel by 7pm and then eat dinner. Is that too ambitious? We are still deciding on car vs shuttle. Not sure what is a better route since we'll have more things than we can carry. I think it might be easier with a car since it would be more flexible and less walking the little ones. Where are you planning to pick up your drinks? I hear there is a Walmart or Publix, but not sure how far it is.

Darly, (I hope that's your name..:)) I believe that's where we stayed before our 2009 cruise and we loved it. You even get breakfast in the morning! :thumbsup2

Hi, that's great to know. I just added my name to my siggy (I think?). It's actually Daryl :) Are you staying there again?

welcome!

Underdog aka Mike here and i'll be cruising with my lovely bride of 36 years Tart Annihilator aka Robin.:hug:

well Hello Melissa..(or should i say Miss Shortcake)..:laughing: my names Mike..but you can call me Underdog:cool2:

Welcome Aboard. My hubby Jeff & I are taking our first cruise. I am looking forward to putting faces and names together.

i think we really needed a 'who's going " page to match names to faces...some of you have an unfair advantage in that you already know what we look like....(although i'm sure many of you would like to forget what i look like.:scared1::eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter