1-Night Solo Trip...What would you do? All day in the parks or resort day?

buffalobasingal

Mouseketeer
If you were able to stay at the Grand Californian for 1-night in mid July, would you go for a non-park leisurely stay at the resort, or an all day marathon in Disneyland and pack it in from rope drop to fireworks? I am going on a work trip and was able to book one night at the Grand Californian at the end of the trip. I'll be about 1-1/2 hours away and will be driving in that day of check-in and then need to fly home the next day after lunch. So, there is only one day that I could make a full park day work. I'm a maximizer when it comes to the Disney Parks and usually like to do as much as possible like an Energizer bunny. But, I've heard people recommend that a resort day without going in the parks can be amazing and since I will be solo, I am wondering if it would be more enjoyable to spend the time enjoying all that the resort has to offer.

Option 1: All-Day Disneyland Spree
This would be an all-day adventure in the Disneyland Park from rope drop to fireworks and possibly even shutting the park down! I'll be driving in the morning of check-in, so to take advantage of early morning magic it would be a very early morning for me leaving the hotel between 3:30 to 5:00am. Early entry starting at 7:30am and riding a few rides in Fantasy Land for the first hour. Then going on the Disneyland Railroad Guided tour and Walt's Main Street Story tour. Then maybe off to Tenaya Spa to avoid the mid-day crowds and hot part of the day. Then check into the room and have dinner at the Grand Californian. After that, head back to Disneyland Park to see the Pixar fireworks show and Fantasmic! If I'm still feeling up to it then riding a few rides before the park closes. The next morning its up early again for early morning hour at California Adventure for Guardians of the Galaxy and a few more rides before its time to checkout and fly back home.

Option 2: Relaxing Resort Staycation
This would be a much more leisurely stay at the resort without going to either of the parks at all. I would leave the hotel I was staying at around 10:00am to arrive at the Grand Californian around noon in time for lunch. Then off to the spa until check-in time and head up to the room to relax some more. Maybe some dinner in the room or grab a bite at the Craftsman Grill or Hearthstone Lounge. Then maybe watch a movie outside and then World of Color from the resort deck. Then its off to bed and sleeping in the next morning until its time to checkout and head to the airport.

If you had the choice, which would you do? The all-day Disneyland Spree or the Relaxing Resort Staycation?

*Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Is the work part of your trip going to be exhausting? If so relax at GCH, but if not down that coffee and go crazy at Disneyland is my vote.
I'm not sure since this is my first trip for this kind of work. It won't be physically exhausting, but might be mentally exhausting with a 6-hour meeting the day before. I was thinking that maybe I should wait to buy park tickets until the day before and if there are no park reservations available then the choice is made for me. ☺️

And, we agree...Gotta Love Pluto! He's my daughter's favorite, too!

I will only spend a lot of money on a hotel stay if I actually plan to spend time at the hotel.

If I am out for the majority of the time, all I want is a clean room with a bed and a shower.

I will disagree slightly and say Option 1! To me, a huge part of the appeal of GCH is the close proximity to the parks. If you're the Energizer Bunny type (I'm the same way with the parks lol), I think you'd get bored just relaxing at the resort, especially knowing the parks are right there. We've only ever stayed at GCH for 1 night at a time, but we still found it worthwhile even though we didn't spend that much time in the room. (Although I will say we spend more time at DCA than Disneyland, and the hotel entrance is a huge help if you get too wet on Grizzly River Run or walking back from World of Color - we were in bed within 5 MINUTES of the show ending! Not sure it's as significant of a benefit when your main day is at Disneyland!)

I will only spend a lot of money on a hotel stay if I actually plan to spend time at the hotel.

If I am out for the majority of the time, all I want is a clean room with a bed and a shower.
I hear you. That's a big reason why I was thinking of just hanging out at the resort was to make the most out of it. The good news is I was able to get the room with my DVC points, so that won't cost me anything additional out of pocket for this trip.

I will disagree slightly and say Option 1! To me, a huge part of the appeal of GCH is the close proximity to the parks. If you're the Energizer Bunny type (I'm the same way with the parks lol), I think you'd get bored just relaxing at the resort, especially knowing the parks are right there. We've only ever stayed at GCH for 1 night at a time, but we still found it worthwhile even though we didn't spend that much time in the room. (Although I will say we spend more time at DCA than Disneyland, and the hotel entrance is a huge help if you get too wet on Grizzly River Run or walking back from World of Color - we were in bed within 5 MINUTES of the show ending! Not sure it's as significant of a benefit when your main day is at Disneyland!)
That is a really good point! My first instinct is to go with Option 1 and resist the Energizer bunny. But, I think you are right that I'll just be sitting in the room wishing I was in the parks!

I agree that GCH having such close proximity to the parks is such a huge comfort. Our first family trip we stayed there for a week and it was so amazing to have that private entrance in the morning and quick walk back to the room at night. Sounds like you have made the most of it while you were there, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter