1-Bedroom villa at BLT vs Riviera for 5 adults

peacefrogdog

DIS Veteran
I realize a 1-bedroom is not ideal for 5 adults but that's the situation we are looking at.
Both BLT lakeview 1 BR and Riviera 1 BR standard view are available for our travel dates for similar amount of points. Both seem to be similar size (803 vs 813 sq feet).

BLT 1-BR :
Advantage of two bathrooms/toilets
monorail access to MK, Epcot and loop restaurants
Older so perhaps a bit dated
3 adults would need to sleep in pull out sofa and sleeper chari

Riviera 1-BR
Two sink areas but only one toilet
Skyliner access to Epcot and DHS
Newer
3 adults would need to sleep on the two murphy style beds

Overall, both seem decent enough (realizing it may be a bit tight), and would likely base decision on which parks we are most interested in visiting during our short stay (which comes down to MK vs DHS). Interested in hearing opinions/experiences/observations of those who have stayed in either 1-BR that may influence our decision

Thanks in advance

I do not have experience in either 1BR. How important is the full kitchen and laundry to you? With 5 adults I’d be more likely to book 2 studios. The 1BR 5th sleeper works best with a smaller/younger adult. 2 studios gives more comfortable bed options for all and 2 bathrooms no matter resort (plus DVC has free laundry rooms, some more convenient than others).

Full kitchen is important for us. my daughter has celiac disease so we will likely due a fair amount of our own food prep.
When you refer to the sleeper, are you referring to the sleeper chair? Or the full down murphy bed under each TV? Or both?

If BLT is done with its refurb by the time you go, I'd say hands down BLT.
Even if not, I might suggest BLT anyway. We travel usually 2 adults 2 kids.

If you're talking about un-refurbished BLT, I think it still tips to BLT. I think the tradeoff is going to be (for 5 adults):

BLT:
+ extra bathroom: 2 showers, 2 toilets
- uncomfortable pull out and sleeper chair

RIV
+ very comfortable murphy beds
- one shower and one toilet *in the same space*

My dad stayed with us in a VGF 1br one year - the bathroom layout was awkward because if using the shower or toilet, you had to close and lock (because 2 kids) both doors and then remember to open both to signal you were done. If my dad wanted to brush his teeth but my husband was showering, he couldn't go in and grab his toothbrush, etc. There just ended up being a lot of moving back and forth.

Full kitchen is important for us. my daughter has celiac disease so we will likely due a fair amount of our own food prep.
When you refer to the sleeper, are you referring to the sleeper chair? Or the full down murphy bed under each TV? Or both?
Both. We have experience with both the sleeper chair and pulldown. It was fine for the younger 150lb adult multiple trips. I tried them and would not want to sleep there personally. I’m slightly larger but middle aged. I think a young large adult wouldn’t be comfortable the whole trip, or any/most older adults.

ETA - My one sister can sleep anywhere, doesn’t bother her. So if you have somebody like that it could work.

Last edited:

I have celiac and have stayed at both resorts multiple times. In general, there is plenty of GF QS food available at Disney-owned restaurants. You can check in the app to see the offerings from home (go to mobile order, select view menu, click on allergy offerings). In dozens of trips I've only been glutened once. TS restaurant menus are also available in the app with allergy menus if they are disney owned.

I personally prefer the GF offerings near Riviera. Primo PIatto and Bar Riva have several items and are very nice about it. Caribbean Beach's Centertown Market is only a 10 minute walk away and they, too, have several items on the menu that are GF. And you're only a skyliner ride away from Boardwalk area restaurants with their own offerings. I find the selections on the monorail loop much more limited except for maybe VGF.

The BLT room will feel bigger, and having two bathrooms is great. RR's room is much nicer/newer and better appointed, and the murphy bed feels like a real bed compared with the older pull out sofa at BLT (pull down bed under TV at RR will sleep a not-too-pooh-sized person up to about 5'10" comfortably).

Nothing beats walking to MK from BLT if that's your main park, but as a comparison ... I find it more annoying to get to HS from BLT than to get to MK from RR, if that makes sense. BLT shares a bus with Wilderness lodge and it can be a long ride. RR is also much closer to DS and doesn't share a bus with any other resort.

I prefer RR but I like both, and the one time we traveled with another family we opted for BLT for the extra bathroom. My 20-something boys prefer RR because it's easier to get everywhere. DD likes BLT because she likes to spend evenings at MK and walk back. Check for GF offerings in both areas to see what would work best for you.

Side note: We've had great GF meals in Raglan Road, La Hacienda (outside restaurant), Sebastian's (almost all GF), Nomad Lounge, Geyser Point, Ohana, and Space 220 (surprisingly good). Epcot festival offerings are hit or miss except for Mexico, the cheese bread in Brazil, and a couple of things here and there (some years better than others). HTH

Last edited:
Besides the second bathroom favoring BLT, there is a distinct difference between the sleeping item for the fifth in the 1BR. At Riviera it is the Murphy bed that pulls out of a cabinet. It is smaller than twin size and not very wide. BLT has a large chair that pulls out to almost twin size bed giving the occupant significantly more space. If you choose BLT lake view, make a request for high floor -- most high floor rooms are lake view and such a request has a high chance of being granted and high floors provide the best views. The BLT living room is large and has almost wall-to wall, floor-to-ceiling windows for viewing. The Contemporary has its own character meal restaurant and has one the best restaurants at WDW on the top floor, California Grill.

Last edited:
BLT and get an air mattress. Maybe you can put it in the kitchen area, if you really need that extra sleeping space.

Or have the single chair in the master bedroom moved out and put an air mattress there. Or a cot. I'd rent a cot

We recently returned from a stay in a 1-bedroom RR unit. We loved it, but would probably have found it a bit crowded for 5 people (we had 3). The unit is large and well-designed and the kitchen/dining area is open (no island), which is nice. The washer/dryer is tucked into a closet near the bathroom (convenient for certain, but we found it to be a bit noisy).

BLT would be a better choice IMO due to the second full bathroom. It saves a lot of time, not to mention providing a bit more privacy. The sleep chair is more comfortable than I would have expected, although the Murphy bed setup is a better one. I much prefer the RR design, but the 2nd bathroom would make this an easy decision for me when traveling with a larger group.

After being in both and have 5 grown people, definitely Bay Lake Towers. 2 bathrooms, more room on the beds. The pulldown single bed is not that big.

I realize a 1-bedroom is not ideal for 5 adults but that's the situation we are looking at.
Both BLT lakeview 1 BR and Riviera 1 BR standard view are available for our travel dates for similar amount of points. Both seem to be similar size (803 vs 813 sq feet).

BLT 1-BR :
Advantage of two bathrooms/toilets
monorail access to MK, Epcot and loop restaurants
Older so perhaps a bit dated
3 adults would need to sleep in pull out sofa and sleeper chari

Riviera 1-BR
Two sink areas but only one toilet
Skyliner access to Epcot and DHS
Newer
3 adults would need to sleep on the two murphy style beds

Overall, both seem decent enough (realizing it may be a bit tight), and would likely base decision on which parks we are most interested in visiting during our short stay (which comes down to MK vs DHS). Interested in hearing opinions/experiences/observations of those who have stayed in either 1-BR that may influence our decision

Thanks in advance
I thought the Riviera 1 bedroom also has a twin fold out bed (which is a regular bed - big enough for adults), and therefore, 3 would not have to sleep on the Murphy bed.

Another vote for BLT because of the bathrooms. We had 10 people sharing 3 bathrooms at our house recently and there were still times each one was occupied. Also, if you are on the outside of the C at BLT, the living room is really a nice size. When they finish the refurbishment, hopefully with murphy beds, it'll be a great space.

I thought the Riviera 1 bedroom also has a twin fold out bed (which is a regular bed - big enough for adults), and therefore, 3 would not have to sleep on the Murphy bed.
The twin foldout bed is also considered a Murphy bed (because it folds down from a cabinet), so one adult would sleep on the twin Murphy and two would sleep on the double Murphy.

Kidani Village 1 bedroom also has two full bathrooms. We have stayed at both Kidani and Bay Lake in their 1 bedrooms. I'm a big guy and the sleeper chair is fairly comfortable (in both), but I bring a self inflating camping mattress with me. I haven't stayed at Riviera, but I'm guessing the pull down beds there will be more comfortable. Just my opinion, but I think it's comfort or convenience. BLT like you mentioned has the other monorail resorts for dining and shopping which is fantastic. Also you can be in the Magic Kingdom in 6 or 7 minutes by the walking path, and it's a quick monorail to Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter