1 Bedroom at Boardwalk or Animal Kingdom?

Meemoo

DIS Veteran
1st trip to WDW in the planning stages...We are planning a partial stay of half our trip in a studio villa at the Grand Floridian and half in a 1 bedroom villa at either Boardwalk Villas or Animal Kingdom. I noticed the Boardwalk has newly updated villas which is what initially attracted me into staying there but I read parking is limited and we'd like to rent a car to visit off site as we are coming from Australia. Is it really so difficult? We'd be traveling mid Jan - not this year...

Animal Kingdom looks lovely. We really enjoyed the atmosphere at Aulani & the Grand Cal, this looks a little similar. Which do you recommend or prefer?

I wouldn't worry about the parking at BWV. It's not necessarily close but it's available. I'd say that AKV will be a bigger difference compared to VGF vs staying at BWV but both are great resorts that we often stay at.

I would think about if you want to be able to walk or take a boat to two parks. It's literally a 10 to 15 min walk to both Epcot and HS. I really love the boardwalk. Haven't stayed in a remodeled room yet, our October stay we got one that wasn't remodeled yet.

AK is a neat resort, never stayed just visited. Not as convenient since you only have buses or your car.

I wouldn't worry about parking. We have never had problems parking at BWV. Remodel will be done by then, and they won't have all the construction stuff in parking lot.

Also,a 1 bedroom at AKV Kidani will have two bathrooms, if that is important to you.

I may all just come down to what is available at the 7 month booking window.

I prefer bwv over akl, but we didn't have a car. Being able to walk right out of your hotel to 2 parks, plus lots of food and entertainment options made our stay at bwv more enjoyable.

Since you have a car, it's just as easy to drive to AKL and visit. Akl is more isolated.

You may not get to use the pool in January. It's in the 60s and 70s in Orlando right now. Thus, the exclusive pool at akl may be moot next year.

When they were younger (under 12), our kids really loved the AKL savannah, the Boardwalk themes didn't appeal to them until they were a little older. They preferred the AKL pool as well. But either way you can't go wrong...

I love both of those resorts. I think I prefer Animal Kingdom (I love Wilderness Lodge and Grand Californian - Animal Kingdom is the same architect so has the themeing I prefer). Since you have your car and plan to be offsite for several days, you can park much closer to the room at Animal Kingdom.

Though Boardwalk is a great choice too. I wouldn't let the parking issue at BWV dissuade you from going there, as people said, it is available. And even if you have to walk a little further to your car, it's not that much further. The best thing about the Boardwalk is the Boardwalk area at night and the proximity to the International Gateway at EPCOT.

So I guess I'm saying do either one this trip, and pick the other on your next trip.

This thread pulled me in because we just returned from a family vacation where we did a split stay - 4 nights in Boardwalk Studio and 4 nights in AKV Kidani 1-Bedroom.

They are both great. The location of Boardwalk gives it the edge for me. The ability to walk to HS or EP is awesome. Especially if you have a Park Hopper - you can do whatever park you want during the morning, and then in the evening we would always walk over to Epcot, and once to HS as well for Star Wars Fireworks.

With your split stay at GF, you could spend extra time at MK during that portion of the trip, and then when you move over to Boardwalk focus on Epcot and HS.

Don't get me wrong, AKL is an amazing resort. Beautiful. We loved it. But, location wins out for Boardwalk.

Also, don't know who is in your travel party but my 8 and 5 year old kids much preferred the Boardwalk pool over both at AKL. The slide was longer and better.

Thank you all for your helpful insights. We are traveling as a family of 4, my husband and I and 2 children, will be 9 & 11 then. I don't think we'll be back there for a while, since we will be coming from Australia. Its just exciting our first trip to WDW, suddenly there are so many options for places to stay with our DVC membership, where as before we have just gone as far as Aulani and DL, there isn't any choice. We will have a cruise in between the 2 stays. The new rooms at the BWV's look lovely but I have heard people mention its really noisy at night there and I'm a light sleeper, although I'm almost certain all the energy used at the parks wouldn't make it a real issue!! But then, the Lion King themed animal kingdom rooms are very tempting to myself being a child who grew up in the 90s with the Lion King!! I still have plenty of time to ponder. How long would you say the drive from Animal Kingdom is to the furthermost park?

Thank you all for your helpful insights. We are traveling as a family of 4, my husband and I and 2 children, will be 9 & 11 then. I don't think we'll be back there for a while, since we will be coming from Australia. Its just exciting our first trip to WDW, suddenly there are so many options for places to stay with our DVC membership, where as before we have just gone as far as Aulani and DL, there isn't any choice. We will have a cruise in between the 2 stays. The new rooms at the BWV's look lovely but I have heard people mention its really noisy at night there and I'm a light sleeper, although I'm almost certain all the energy used at the parks wouldn't make it a real issue!! But then, the Lion King themed animal kingdom rooms are very tempting to myself being a child who grew up in the 90s with the Lion King!! I still have plenty of time to ponder. How long would you say the drive from Animal Kingdom is to the furthermost park?
I don't believe Animal Kingdom has any lion king themed rooms-were you perhaps thinking of the family suites at Art of Animation (that's a regular hotel resort not DVC)?
I haven't stayed at AKL yet but MK is the furthest park. I think I read it is 15-20 min there by bus-here are the actual distances.

DISTANCE FROM ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE:
Magic Kingdom: 12 miles
Epcot: 8 miles
Hollywood Studios: 6 miles
Animal Kingdom: 2 miles

Since you have never been to WDW before just keep in mind that taking a car to MK vs Disney transportation will take longer than other parks due to monorail/ferry transport time (and waiting to board)-Disney resort buses drop you off right by the entrance so while the drive to MK in a car might be 15-20 min it will take probably double that time with parking, tram ride/walk to TTC, then monorail or ferry to the entrance.

PP mentions the benefit of park hopper when staying at BWV and mentions walking to HS, EP and then Magic Kingdom, you will have to bus or monorail to MK you will not be able to walk. We normally stay at our home resort BWV however do AKV about ever other year because it is such an amazing place. When my DD was younger (teens and below) she enjoyed the BWV but not nearly as much as AKV. For us with all girls it was also really nice having the extra bathroom.

. How long would you say the drive from Animal Kingdom is to the furthermost park?

Driving to all the parks you would want to will take approx 10 minutes max although then you have the parking and waiting for a tram or walking to the front gate. The one park you don't want to drive to is MK because parking there is away from the park and then you need to get a tram to the Ticket and Transportation center and then boat or monorail to MK. The buses drop off at the front of the park. The travel time will be in the 20-25 minute range. If you drove you'd likely be at 30-35 minutes at best.

I don't believe Animal Kingdom has any lion king themed rooms-were you perhaps thinking of the family suites at Art of Animation (that's a regular hotel resort not DVC)?

AKV has a Lion King theme incorporated into it in the tile work and furniture.

p153296614-6.jpg

DSC03183.jpg

p157470211-4.jpg

Driving to all the parks you would want to will take approx 10 minutes max although then you have the parking and waiting for a tram or walking to the front gate. The one park you don't want to drive to is MK because parking there is away from the park and then you need to get a tram to the Ticket and Transportation center and then boat or monorail to MK. The buses drop off at the front of the park. The travel time will be in the 20-25 minute range. If you drove you'd likely be at 30-35 minutes at best.

p153296614-6.jpg

DSC03183.jpg

p157470211-4.jpg
Thanks I hadn't heard that/seen those pictures before

p153296614-6.jpg

DSC03183.jpg

p157470211-4.jpg
Thank you for sharing your photos, I'm thinking I love this place already!

DISTANCE FROM ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE:
Magic Kingdom: 12 miles
Epcot: 8 miles
Hollywood Studios: 6 miles
Animal Kingdom: 2 miles
These times are very misleading because of parking, walking, ferries, etc.

Here's what I would estimate as the time from your resort door to park gate:

DRIVING/WALKING FROM BOARDWALK:
HS - 13 min walk
EP - 10 min
MK - 35 via bus, 40 via car
AK - 20 via car

DRIVING FROM AKL
HS - 30 min
EP - 30 min
MK - 45 via bus, 45 via car
AK - 15 via car

That includes walking to your car, driving, parking, getting to the front tapstiles.

Again, the awesomeness of walking into Epcot and HS so easily from Boardwalk can't be understated.

If you don't own at VGF, it will be very difficult to get a studio there.

Travel times to any park are never certain. I can assure you on a hot day I can very easily on the bus get to Epcot and HS faster and more comfortably riding the bus from AKL than walking from BW. If you are a very fast walker then yes you might get their faster. But never did it take us 30 mins by AKL bus to get to HS or Epcot.

It definitely takes longer to take your own car due to having to park then travel to the park entrance. We never use our car to go to a park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter