“Easiest” driving route from Universal Orlando to FLL

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
Considering driving from Universal Orlando to FLL airport on a weekday am, departing approx 9 am. Rental car rate is reasonable vs airfare that would cost $90 pp

Have a sunpass, appears the turnpike the quickest; seeing a little over 3 hours Drive time.

not a fan of I-95 in general, indicates more like 3.5 hours

Have never driven that route. Will say driving to TPA has been a bit of an adventure, especially as we’ve encountered multiple accidents along the route the last few times.

Not sure where the rental car return is @ FLL, would need to catch hotel shuttle there after returning car (or uber to hotel)

The turnpike is pretty straightforward if boring. There will be left exits to rest areas/gas stations along the way.

ETA: an accident will be more problematic than on I-95 where more exits allow people to find alternate routes. There are a couple of stretches on the Turnpike with about 40 miles between exits.

Considering driving from Universal Orlando to FLL airport on a weekday am, departing approx 9 am. Rental car rate is reasonable vs airfare that would cost $90 pp

Have a sunpass, appears the turnpike the quickest; seeing a little over 3 hours Drive time.

not a fan of I-95 in general, indicates more like 3.5 hours

Have never driven that route. Will say driving to TPA has been a bit of an adventure, especially as we’ve encountered multiple accidents along the route the last few times.

Not sure where the rental car return is @ FLL, would need to catch hotel shuttle there after returning car (or uber to hotel)
We are local to Orlando and have driven to south Florida a few times. We prefer the turnpike. It feels a little less chaotic than the free for all on I-95. It has always been a fairly smooth drive, however, we haven’t encountered any accidents. Access ramps on/off the turnpike are farther apart than on I-95 (at least until you get close to south Florida) so if there is a bad accident you could end up sitting in traffic longer. The risk of that is low though, and it’s certainly not enough to make us choose 95 over the turnpike. It’s just something to be aware of. Perhaps carry a bottle of water or two for each person, just in case.

Driving I-4 back and forth to Tampa is not for the fainthearted. It’s one of the worst drives I could think of taking. When we would go visit relatives in that area, we would actually drive out of our way to avoid I-4.

Driving I-4 back and forth to Tampa is not for the fainthearted. It’s one of the worst drives I could think of taking. When we would go visit relatives in that area, we would actually drive out of our way to avoid I-4.
I don’t feel like such a wimp hearing a local
State this lol.

Thanks for the posts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter