“Accidentally” missing your DME to MCO ?

We are getting our own luggage - flying in to MCO about 9:15 PM - could we ask for a DME ride to POFQ about 10:15 PM ? this was we can get our own luggage and get to the other side on MCO - We are flying Jet Blue
Does DME decide you bus time ?
Can you not request your own DME bus time ?

You do not have a scheduled bus to be on heading to your resort. You just show up and get on the next bus to your resort.

She had left her passport on the kitchen counter...
So yes you can forget something critical.

I almost leave my passport on every trip. Yes, it is critical... but I mean more like the canes, wheel chairs, prosthetic legs, thick-*** glasses someone would be blind without, and other items you’d think would be critical to just getting to the bus.

I know I am making light of someone’s medical situation. I suppose I am more curious when items like that are unclaimed. Again, just from watching those odd news stories that pop up from time to time.

I didn't see anyone else saying this but this is rude to others that were on your schedule ME. I am not sure how long they wait but I suspect its longer than if you were sitting there and just boarded.

This is unlike the bus from MCO since those leave regardless of who is on them from what I understand.

We are getting our own luggage - flying in to MCO about 9:15 PM - could we ask for a DME ride to POFQ about 10:15 PM ? this was we can get our own luggage and get to the other side on MCO - We are flying Jet Blue
Does DME decide you bus time ?
Can you not request your own DME bus time ?

The op was talking about the outbound DME from the resort to MCO.

On the inbound your are not assigned to a specific bus as flights are often delayed canceled etc. You do need to make a reservation after which you will get information in the mail detailing where to go to check in and board the bus.

In short after you land, grab your bags and then follow the signs to the DME check in, a CM will check you in and direct you to the correct bus line and you will board the next bus going to POFQ.

I didn't see anyone else saying this but this is rude to others that were on your schedule ME. I am not sure how long they wait but I suspect its longer than if you were sitting there and just boarded.

This is unlike the bus from MCO since those leave regardless of who is on them from what I understand.

Yup. There have been many times when we were the only ones getting on at our resort. If we decided to "miss" the bus, everyone else on that bus had to make a stop and wait for no reason.

Yup. There have been many times when we were the only ones getting on at our resort. If we decided to "miss" the bus, everyone else on that bus had to make a stop and wait for no reason.

Is there a way to tell them you really have no intention of taking the bus back?

Is there a way to tell them you really have no intention of taking the bus back?

I have called to tell DME I won’t be taking the bus back to the airport. I think there is a number on the DME information sheet you get. Dispatch was surprised and very grateful to get a call.

I rented a car and called them from the road. I had tried to let them know at the resort before I left but all the Cast Members just told me not to worry about it... which I found disappointing.

I almost leave my passport on every trip. Yes, it is critical... but I mean more like the canes, wheel chairs, prosthetic legs, thick-*** glasses someone would be blind without, and other items you’d think would be critical to just getting to the bus.

I know I am making light of someone’s medical situation. I suppose I am more curious when items like that are unclaimed. Again, just from watching those odd news stories that pop up from time to time.

Maybe the wheelchair user could walk onto the bus, then the driver forgot to load the wheelchair into the luggage compartment?

DME
I know there have been posts here asking if you can schedule a later DME bus to the airport. The answer is ‘no’ for a number of good reasons (traffic, unexpected delays, etc).

Having said that, would DME refuse to take you on a later bus if you ‘missed’ your allotted seat?

During my last trip, I was killing time around the lobby waiting for my DME to MCO. An earlier bus was loading guests when a Bell Services Cast Member suggested I get on it. I did and it was no problem.

So, if I can get on an earlier bus, I’d like to assume I can get on a later bus too (space permitting, do so at your own risk, and all that fine print).

Has anyone accidentally or deliberately gotten on a later DME bus? Was it an ordeal?

Horrible idea, particularly if you're staying in one of the smaller resorts. DME schedules pick ups based on guest reservations. A large resort like POP is likely to have DME pick ups scheduled every 30 minutes. A smaller resort. The next pick up after your scheduled pick up might not be for an hour, maybe even 90 minutes. Driver of a later bus will allow you to board IF THERE IS CAPACITY. Some buses are scheduled to be full.

People complaining about an early pick up time are looking at it the wrong way. The relevant question isn't what time you're picked up, the relevant question is what time you get to the airport. DME is scheduled to get you to the airport around 2 hours before your flight. Figure an hour to pick up at other resorts, or a delay in the bus getting to your resort, and travel time to MCO. DME buses go at or below the speed limit. DME might not drop you off at the closest point. DME is every 30 minutes. Depending on your flight time your pick up might be schedule 3 hours 20 minutes before your flight, the +/-15 minutes has been increased. A car service, taxi, uber can get you to the airport in around 30 minutes. You might gain 45 minutes or so of extra time. You'll gain even more time if you want to finish your vacation at a location other then your resort. Using a car service from your final WDW location might give you another hour.

The other question. Do you need to get to MCO 2 hours before your flight. 3 reasons. check luggage, security and airline. Southwest passengers might want to get to the gate at least 30 minutes early to ensure a better boarding position. Passengers on other airlines might want to time their gate arrival to board 10-15 minutes before departure time. Board as the flight crew is closing the door and preparing to push back. (just kidding).

No checked luggage. TSA PRE it's taken me 20 minutes with pre check at MCO. You probably don't need to get to the airport 2 hours before.

Real simple. Call DME the day before and ask for a later pick up. Explain you don't have checked luggage and have TSA PRE. You'll be told you're on your own if you miss your flight. You might be even a pickup 30 minutes later. You'll be told to go your hotels desk and have the DME letter reprinted with the updated pick up time.

I doubt they'll give you a pick up 2 hours before your flight. They'll change a 3 + hour pick up to one that's less then 2 hours, as long as space permits.

Families flying Southwest, without TSA Pre should stick with assigned DME schedule. People who want to minimize their time at MCO need to skip DME. It's that simple.

It is not automatically set up for DME. You will provide a flight # & they will give you your bus time with reserved seat the night before. This doesn't happen just because you bought a ticket. RAC & DME are separate entities but do share info. When you go to RAC on your flight day, update them with current & accurate flight info. I believe they require 3 hours prior for luggage. But I'm usually checking bags in morning & taking DME much later in day. Even if you plan to check bag & board in same window, its still better (for me) to be at RAC 3 hours before flight with DME scheduled for 2.5 hours before flight. The timing works out pretty great. Just remember RAC closes at noon. I usually check bags, leave carry on with bell services, then head to a park for rope drop. Works like a charm.
1) You are a WDW rock star.
2) Not related to your post, I've spent an hour in the line for security before... So one should plan for that possibility.

1) You are a WDW rock star.
2) Not related to your post, I've spent an hour in the line for security before... So one should plan for that possibility.

1) LOL, not really. But, I have learned to tweak a few of the less pleasant aspects of the trip & make them a bit more pleasant. I was having trouble with DME consistently pushing my pick up time to the 3 hours + 25 min then asking me to arrive 15 min before that & I was sitting at my resort 4 hours before my flight. I've found by shaving 15-30 min off my flight time that the pick up times are much more reasonable to the amount of time I need to get to my gate, have a restroom break & get food. Others may want more time & may want to add time to their DME experience. To each their own.

2). I don't have a #2, I just didn't want #1 to be lonely.

1) LOL, not really. But, I have learned to tweak a few of the less pleasant aspects of the trip & make them a bit more pleasant. I was having trouble with DME consistently pushing my pick up time to the 3 hours + 25 min then asking me to arrive 15 min before that & I was sitting at my resort 4 hours before my flight.
A call to DME the day before and you should be able to get a pickup 30 minutes later. No need to fake flights.

A few years ago we stayed at Pop in July. There were six of us. When we arrived to get on the Tragical Express it was actually running late. So, we waited and waited.... once the bus arrived a family group of about 15 people ran up to the bus and tried to get on. They had just then arrived at the pick up area and had missed their bus (which would've been the bus before ours). Want to know more? They were able to get on OUR bus and WE had to wait thirty more minutes for the next bus. In July, outside, after a long Disney day, etc....

... They were able to get on OUR bus and WE had to wait thirty more minutes for the next bus ...
This would expose Disney to having to get you home if you missed your plane, even if weather, traffic, or security lines contributed to the tragedy.

A better option would be to get the concierge to comp you taxi transportation.

Except you would still not get help if you forcibly booked a Magical Express bus closer to flight time then the rules state.

Regarding the ID thing, you can get on a US domestic flight without ID. You will have to go through extra security, but it's not uncommon. Of course, this could present problems on the other side (drinking, renting a car, etc), but if you really don't have time to drive back and get it, it is definitely possible to get on a flight without ID.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter