£2.500

needtogomore

Mouseketeer
Just got the time off to go on last minute trip to Disney, went on the Virgin atlantic sight, for economy for next week price was either £2.500 or the cheaper price of £2.100 this is both ECONOMY. no trip now, not paying that price.

Have you looked at Thomsons/Thomas Cook or indirect? VA has been asking silly prices for August since the beginning of the year. I would love to pretend to be shocked, but this is the way it has been going this year. :mad:

wow i only paid 650 euros and i have to fly in from amsterdam on ba and i will return via manchester and then on klm to amsterdam

wow i only paid 650 euros and i have to fly in from amsterdam on ba and i will return via manchester and then on klm to amsterdam

You can't compare prices that way. Apples to oranges, and perhaps some peaches and strawberries. Oh and for good old Dutch sayings; pears also. Each destination has it's own "value" from each different airport. First up, flights from AMS have typically been (a lot) less than flights from the UK. Or prices a lot of other European cousins run into.

Another thing that comes into the matter is that you're on a connecting flight. Those tend to be less desired and thus less expensive. Combine that with the fact that you're flying on at least a BA-partner and there you have it; prices for that combo will tend to be lower than it will be for that second direct flight bookings for the locals themselves. Called PR for your airline in countries other than it's origine. Same thing as KLM and Martinair are doing for flights from DUS through AMS to MCO compared to AMS-MCO direct on MP. Not that this will matter for many more days now that MP has yet again -can you say Heintje Davids? :rolleyes1:rolleyes: - made announcements that very likely will yet again result in MP removing their AMS-MCO direct schedule.

Who are you flying with? Is that KLM and Marinair?

Neither. MP only flies onto MCO from AMS. KLM does not fly onto MCO at all, pure protection of the Delta market and to a lesser extend; AirFrance. KLM will do some flights to the states from AMS, but that's about it.

From Manchester it'll probably be Virgin, pretty sure of that one. Probably comes down to VS offering incentives for foreigners to fly VS on a nondirect flight, where as they know they've got enough of the UK-market covered with the direct flight and their roots into the UK.

Neither. MP only flies onto MCO from AMS. KLM does not fly onto MCO at all, pure protection of the Delta market and to a lesser extend; AirFrance. KLM will do some flights to the states from AMS, but that's about it.

From Manchester it'll probably be Virgin, pretty sure of that one. Probably comes down to VS offering incentives for foreigners to fly VS on a nondirect flight, where as they know they've got enough of the UK-market covered with the direct flight and their roots into the UK.

I didn't know that. I do know that KLM goes from the UK to AMS and they you can connect from AMS to MCO with Martinair (well it's one option for certain months of the year from Scotland). I paid attention when I was looking for tickets because for many years KLM was my first choice of airline. I haven't flown with them for about 4 years now and not sure what they are like now, but if I have to kick about an airport for several hours, Schiphol is my first choice. :thumbsup2 I don't know why but I love that airport. Must be availability of Dubble Zout Licorice :worship::worship::worship:

:lmao:

I didn't know that. I do know that KLM goes from the UK to AMS and they you can connect from AMS to MCO with Martinair (well it's one option for certain months of the year from Scotland). I paid attention when I was looking for tickets because for many years KLM was my first choice of airline. I haven't flown with them for about 4 years now and not sure what they are like now, but if I have to kick about an airport for several hours, Schiphol is my first choice. :thumbsup2 I don't know why but I love that airport. Must be availability of Dubble Zout Licorice :worship::worship::worship:

:lmao:

You can get proper licorice without doing Schiphol! :rotfl2: If you want to see some Rembrandt etc. and are short on time, that's what Schiphol is for! Great museum down there. :thumbsup2

I'ld personally stay clear from MP. They've been doing too much "we don't care about our passenger"-schemes. Like cancelling their schedule half through the season, rebooking lots of passengers, causing them to miss days etc. Happens almost each season. Combine that with very very few planes -read high chance of long delays-, charter service etc. It was just announced MP will stop doing any passenger flights, that's taken over by KLM. They don't have a landing right at MCO, but I'ld expect them to not want that as to protect their Delta-partner and overall benefits for both.

KLM? Mwah. It still has it's rep from back in the 80's and 90's but isn't worth that anymore. It's a shame to say of my own national airline, but I wouldn't fly them given the option. Let's just say service isn't high on their list anymore -nicely illustrated by the way they're trying to get away with 'handling' the costs passengers made during the vulcano eruption- IMHO and the planes aren't in the top10 of much seatpitch.

Hmm, one month and one week; so that means checking in on the 22nd? Where are you staying, onsite? If you're desperate enough, I could bring along some licorice for you. As you know, I've got enough baggage allowance anyway. :rotfl2:

KLM? Mwah. It still has it's rep from back in the 80's and 90's but isn't worth that anymore. It's a shame to say of my own national airline, but I wouldn't fly them given the option. Let's just say service isn't high on their list anymore -nicely illustrated by the way they're trying to get away with 'handling' the costs passengers made during the vulcano eruption- IMHO and the planes aren't in the top10 of much seatpitch.

Hmm, one month and one week; so that means checking in on the 22nd? Where are you staying, onsite? If you're desperate enough, I could bring along some licorice for you. As you know, I've got enough baggage allowance anyway. :rotfl2:

We're staying onsite at POFQ this year from the 2nd to 16th October. I know I could just order some online. It's not like it is going to cost an arm and a leg. I think it is one of those comfort things that I do at certain airports. It also reminds me of my school days. I would just suck on a piece of it or leave it to dissolve over half an hour in my mouth so I regularly had numb cheeks and gums on the side. :rotfl: It was very sweet of you to offer though. :goodvibes BTW, on the luggage story, I just bought my wheeled holdall this afternoon. :cool1:

Congrats on the bag!

But really, DZ licorice? And sucking on them for hours? Don't take it personal, but you're nuts! :rotfl: There are so many other much nicer sorts of licorices available that you can suck on for hours without injury. Better taste, better mouth-experience, you name it. DZ is nice for one or two, but beyond that there is so much more mouthwatering types. Which reminds me, need to order myself some for the flight over. :idea:

Where are you flying from, for how long, how many and does it have to be Virgin.

There are cheaper flights out there than £2500 (or is that for many of you combined).

no with virgin i leave on the 11.15 am flight on tuesday out of gatwick

That's a good deal then for this year. I am assuming you booked early. We haven't seen prices like that on VA for this year's holidays, save for the initial seat releases at the end of last year. Well done!

Tig, hun, do yourself a favor; do not compare. It's like comparing WDTC UK prices to WDTC USA prices to DVC prices. No comparing possible. Flying out of a different originating airport is a totally different animal.

For AMS a price of €650,- isn't that cheap this time of year. I've seen worse, but seen enough better also. Prices from AMS to MCO do not compare to prices from the UK to MCO. While our prices for 2011 have rissen considerably, still no way comparable to the 2011 prices we see on here for the UK.

Also PR comes into place, demand, seasons (high season in one ountry could be low season in the other, resulting in very different price schedules for the same date), class you are flying, there are so many many factors.

In the end all you have to go buy are the UK prices. That, or making it an 'interesting' trip by going to mainland EU first by boat, train or flight. A lot of work. ;)

I could tell you all about the dirt cheap -for us, don't know how they hold up to UK prices- UC offer VS recently had for my dates, but what good is that gonna do you guys in the UK? Nothing, if you ask me.

As far as the orginial 2500,- pounds go; not that shocking if you know how airfares work.

A flight only has a few deeply discounted eco fares. Than come the very discounted eco, discounted eco, normal eco, and up it goes. later on in the game, changes are realistic the discounted fares will have been gone, used up by tourists etc. The higher fares offer better options for changing dates, flights etc. but do come with a higher price tag. Not worth it for most tourists. So those are most likely available longer. Et voilà; when you ask for a quote for a flight that leaves within a relatively short time; the price will be a lot higher.

Actually, it's not uncommon for the highest fares of eco to be more expensive than the deepest discounted fares for business class. Which results in a nice financial lesson; always check all classes when the deepest discounted eco have been sold out.

Want to know how an airline names it's deepest discounted rates so you can see what you are quoted on their website? Google airlinename + farebuckets. That will give you a nice look over. For instance Continentals most discounted fares for eco are; W,E,S,T,N etc. They're mos expensive ones are amongst others; B, Y, M etc. Although, a B-fare with elite status can result in a direct upgrade to business on flights within the US if the R-bucket has availability. R stands for reward bookings with Continental, so the miles+money upgrade, uprgradable fares etc. Most discounted business/first fares for CO is Z.

To illustrate; I recently upgraded my CO eco ticket to CO BF. At that point out, hardly any seat was sold, so I got myself the Z fare for the Atlantic flights. BF tends to be sold mostly last minute, bought by folks travelling for work. As soon as I bought that Z-fare, that fare was sold out, and the BF price moved up to the first available fare. Of the 35 BF seats, only 2 or 3 were taken at that time. The price went up with a proper 30%. Haven't quoted it since then, but know it's higher up by now since the cabin is about half booked up.

Same thing will have applied to that 2500 pound quote. Cheapest fares were sold out, and thus quoted the "least expensive" still available fare in eco.

For the original poster how many are going and does it have to be direct.There are indirect around £450 per adult and you havent said if its just for flights What is your budget for the whole trip?

Sorry guys this thread confused me.There was a few conversations going on at the same time:confused3

That's a good deal then for this year. I am assuming you booked early. We haven't seen prices like that on VA for this year's holidays, save for the initial seat releases at the end of last year. Well done!

yes i booked in december

If you let us know the details (dates, number of people travelling, which uk airport) and whether you'd be willing to go indirect im sure someone on here can find you a much better deal.

Also look at Virgin Holidays fly drive prices!

A friend booked this weekend to go on Friday and got it for £720 per adult :)

We have booked for October for 5 of us from Edinburgh indirect we were £2200, my daughter just booked for October as well and paid £491 again indirect, if we were having to pay £2500 we would never be see Mickey again:sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter