“Les poissons, les poissons!” A vegetarian and a carnivore EAT! *30/4 COMPLETE!!*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had no idea that you could get Sweet Potato Fries there! I need to check it out because I love them!

Great upadates Libby :goodvibes

So glad you enjoyed Boma, it really is a great spot for veggies

You must try Jiko on your next trip, they have a seperate vegetarian menu that often isn't published and it's a wonderful restaurant, you would love it :thumbsup2

I really want to try a jalepeno pretzel but was worried they would be too hot. Sounds like they are OK though so I might give one a go :)

I am with you on the Zebra Domes. I don't get what all the hype is about. :confused3 Glad I'm not alone on that one. :thumbsup2

Love your towel animal they left for you. So adorable!

Ooh good! Me neither, they really weren't that great!

Thank you, the swans were beautiful :) xxxxx

Loving your reviews...

Thanks! :) xxxx

You can have jalapenos at 9.30am on holiday! :lmao:

Love the rating system!

Haha you sure can!! Love it!! :lmao: xxxx

I had no idea that you could get Sweet Potato Fries there! I need to check it out because I love them!

Oooh yes indeedio, they were so GOOD!! I really wish I had got them! :)

Love the DR but...

What was BOMA's final grade?:goodvibes

BUSTED!! Haha thank you, I've added in the Boma verdict :rotfl:

Great upadates Libby :goodvibes

So glad you enjoyed Boma, it really is a great spot for veggies

You must try Jiko on your next trip, they have a seperate vegetarian menu that often isn't published and it's a wonderful restaurant, you would love it :thumbsup2

I really want to try a jalepeno pretzel but was worried they would be too hot. Sounds like they are OK though so I might give one a go :)

Thank you Linda! I would love to try Jiko, think it will def be on the menu for next time!

Oooh no they really aren't, just a hint of heat and lots of cheesy goodness!! Hope you manage to get one :thumbsup2 xxxx

. But, it was wayyy to early for jalapenos! As soon as I mentioned it to Ben though he was determined that we get them as they were ‘on my list’ so we got in the queue. You can have jalapenos at 9.30am on holiday!

HA! It's never, ever too early for jalapenos or green chile. But then, I spent many years as a New Mexican. ;)

P1010633.jpg

How stunning is that? :) :)

Wonderful! How very sweet.

Glad you're back, Libby! Hope you had a lovely time in Paris, you lucky duck.

I love this review so much, and all I can say is I wish we were friends! You seem so lovely!

And Zebra Domes...I don't get the hype either :(

I'm with you on the Zebra Domes, Libby! They were a big "eh" to me, too! Love your reports!

Glad I'm not the only one then!! :) xxxxxx

HA! It's never, ever too early for jalapenos or green chile. But then, I spent many years as a New Mexican. ;)

Wonderful! How very sweet.

Glad you're back, Libby! Hope you had a lovely time in Paris, you lucky duck.

Thank you so much :) I had a fabulous time thank you, was amazing! Ate some lovely food there too but no where NEAR as amazing as America :lovestruc xxxx

I love this review so much, and all I can say is I wish we were friends! You seem so lovely!

And Zebra Domes...I don't get the hype either :(

Awwwww CUTE I wish we were friends too!! :) Maybe then I could move to America and live the dream....:rotfl:

xxxxxxxxxxx

Late night Earl of Sandwich

We spent the evening in DTD mainly wandering around WoD and buying a few bits. About 9 o clock I suddenly got hit by a wall of exhaustion – felt really really tired and like I just had to take my lenses out and crawl into bed. Guess it was all starting to catch up with me a bit! So we decided to head back to SSR and our lovely big bed.

Now, I’m not entirely sure how this came up in conversation but I guess we were walking back toward the Marketplace entrance and Ben suddenly felt a bit hungry! Earl of Sandwich was right in front of us and it is a mark how tired I must have been as second possibly only to California Grill had I been looking forward to this restaurant!!! I had seriously had dreams about the Caprese many, many times. BUT I was too tired to get one! Normally I would have got one and just popped it in the fridge to eat later but I didn’t even do that!! Soooo weird. Ben got a Caprese, just paid OOP for it as he didn’t want a side and drink. We walked back to the room and cracked into it as soon as we were safely inside.

P1010652.jpg

P1010651.jpg

I had like one bite and it was amazing but I was just too tired to appreciate it :( Benji said it was phenomenal and I vowed I would get one before we left!! (don't worry, I did ;) )

Best sandwich ever.

The Verdict: OBVIOUSLY a

Screenshot2012-01-25at151318.png

50’s Prime Time - Part 1

We started off our full day at Hollywood Studios by hitting the crazy scrum that is the queue for TSM fastpasses.

We started striding over to Pixar Place and Ben was laughing at me because I kept saying “It’s going to be bedlam babe, it’s going to be absolute bedlam at Toy Story Mania” and he reminded me I had said that at each and every park and so far none of the headliners had been anywhere near ‘bedlam’! I had to agree with him, Soarin’ and EE in particular had been dead! So I was starting to think TSM probably wasn’t going to be as bad as I was expecting it to be!

OH BOY did I prove him wrong!! As we got closer to TSM the sheer amount of people milling around was INSANE, I feared for my life!! The amount of people queuing for FPs was actually ridic and we thought the actual queue MUST be shorter so we jogged to the entrance….45 minutes!!! At about 9.10!!!! Don’t understand how that actually happens.

Here is the queue when we first arrived :scared1:

P1010655.jpg

We looked at each other and turned around and ran to get in the FPs queue that was now snaking all around Pixar Place!!! As we stood in the queue panting, Ben was like “okay you were right, this actually is bedlam!!” Bedlam with a capital B I think you’ll find there babe. I couldn’t believe this was all for ONE RIDE. Not like an unlimited FP for all rides. One tiny ride.

A CM was walking through the crowd asking any parties of more than 1 to leave the queue so that only one person for each set of tickets was waiting. I stepped out and went to stand by the entrance to watch the drama unfold.

P1010654.jpg

Here is a little snapshot of what the entrance looked at while Ben was nearly at the front.

P1010653.jpg

Ben eventually got to the front after about a 10 minute wait, during which time the return time had shot up to about 12.15! Eeek. He said when he got to the front of the line a guy took his FP’s and put them through so there wouldn’t be any issues. So it really was all very well organized and I think they do the best they can given the sheer amount of people who flock to this one ride all at once.

Holy Fastpasses

P1010657.jpg

After this craziness we did ToT and RNRC in quick succession, woo!

We were then a bit peckish so decided to investigate some breakfast options. As we were walking toward Starring Rolls (where else would you get breakfast!?) I noticed a little Guest Services stand so we decided to just see if there was any availability for 50’s PT so we could go there for lunch instead of Sci-Fi. I think we just weren’t really feeling Sci-Fi – I wanted something more exciting than a burger that I could get at a CS (which were really good!!) and I knew they did homemade milkshakes at 50’s PT, plus the new veggie option for Benj that I’d seen when we were at the Tune In Lounge (spaghetti and veggie meatballs!) which would mean he wouldn’t have to have a veggie burger.

I told the guy we had an ADR for Sci-Fi at 12.30 and were looking for one for 50’s PT around the same time and as luck would have it, he had a 12.25 available! Boom, we’ll take it!!

We walked toward Starring Rolls, mega excited about our new lunch plans. We decided to have a light breakfast as we wanted to be super hungry and it was about 10.15 already at this point.

Starring Rolls was amazing, everything I thought it would be and more!! Everything looked delicious but obviously being awkward I wanted something savoury as I really do prefer savoury in the mornings so that limited my choices quite a lot! We decided to share a bagel with Philadelphia cream cheese which counted as a snack credit and we got a chocolate nesquik too! Not at all savoury haha! The bagel was MEGA delicious, the phili went all melty and creamy mmmmmm. We briefly rested on a table outside, it was really busy and everyone seemed to be having the huuuge cinnamon buns, how I wish I’d been hungry enough at some point in the holiday to sample the baked goods!!

After breakfast we did Star Tours twice and the Indiana Jones show (awful!!!!) and before we knew it, it was 12.20 and time to check in for our ADR!!

Excitement levels were pretty high.

When we entered the restaurant there were loaaaadsss of people sat and stood around waiting eeek! We hoped we wouldn’t be too late as we were starving!! We went to check-in and then joined the masses waiting. I took some photos of the adorable décor! Loved it so much!! I absolutely love anything 50's/retro/vintage so I was completely in my element.

P1010691.jpg

P1010692.jpg

P1010693.jpg

P1010694.jpg

P1010690.jpg

After about 10 minutes wait we were called! So pretty much exactly on our ADR time. I have to say, I really don’t think we ever waited more than 10 minutes for our ADR’s, they were almost always on time! We didn’t always check-in early either, a lot of time it was about 5 minutes before and we’d go to the bar and get called before our drinks arrived. I was really happy about this but also surprised because I read sooo many times that we’d be waiting ages past our ADR time, especially at places like ‘Ohana and California Grill but that just wasn’t the case at all :) Maybe it was just because we were a two? But well done Disney anyway!

As we were stood waiting a little old guy walked past us and yelled like literally right in my ear, ‘MORGAN KIDS!!!! FOOD’S READY!!!!” which made us burst out laughing haha, how cute!! I tapped the little guy on the shoulder and he laughed and apologized, he was adorable and he absolutely loved us ;) He kept coming round to check on everyone and going to us, “everything okay with your dinner Morgan kids?” hahahha ahhhh.

He led us through the restaurant asking if we’d eaten at Mom’s before etc and we were sat in a room near the back of the restaurant. I was initially disappointed that we weren’t in the main bit and didn’t have a TV but it was cool, we had a TV right along from us and could see the main bit through the shelves next to us :)

P1010702.jpg

P1010703.jpg

P1010704.jpg

P1010707.jpg

I was later glad we weren’t out there as the server was a legit crazy!!

Spying on the crazy through the shelves

P1010700.jpg

P1010701.jpg

The little old guy told us we were ‘going to have a wonderful time kids’ and patted me on the back and left us.

P1010696.jpg

P1010697.jpg

We had to set our own table hehe!!

P1010705.jpg

We didn’t have to wait long for our server to appear, the legendary Uncle Dale. I’m gonna tell you right now that he was the best server we had all holiday, he was just quite literally the best.

He stopped by our table and reeled off this hilarious spiel about Mom’s kitchen, what their specials were, what he recommended etc and then when he said ‘and my favourite milkshake iss….’ all the other people sat in our section went “PB AND J” hahah!! Which I loved as that was one of the main reasons for our dining at the restauant!! So I obviously ordered one, mmmm. Ben went for a Margarita as he didn’t fancy a milkshake (bit weird, I know) and Dale went “I’ll go get the keys to Dads liquor cabinet” hehehhehehe!! We also ordered some onion rings for a starter in a fit of frivolous expenditure.

Mere moments later, Uncle D was back with our drinks, my milkshake was SO HUGE it was incredible and it tasted….wow. The best milkshake I’ve ever had in my life was in DLP in Anettes Diner, PB and chocolate and this one was definitely on a par but I couldn’t possibly choose! Although if it came down to sheer size and amount of shake then the 50’s PT would win!! You get a whole glass plus whatever is left in the shaker and I sadly didn’t realize you could take it with you ‘to go’ so I forced down every drop and made myself very, very sick. A cautionary tale kids.

P1010708.jpg

I was so engrossed in my milkshake that I barely noticed Bens margarita but he said it was very enjoyable!

P1010709.jpg

And then, our onion rings arrived! OH MY LORD these are hands down the best onion rings we’ve ever had. Ever. And we’ve had a lot of onion rings in our lives. The thing is, I’m a bit weird with onion rings and although I love them, I also cannot stand that moment when you bite into it and the slimey onion ring slicks out and into your mouth BLERGH so I actually prefer the cheap ones that have chopped up onion in that sticks to the batter and ensures a nice, even mouthful. So I was taking a big risk with these as I was sure they’d be ‘real’!

But oh my goodness, they exceeded all expectations. Somehow, the batter was so perfectly cooked that it stuck to the onions which were so perfectly cooked that they broke on impact with teeth, meaning you got a perfect bite of batter and ring and no slimey slippery bits falling out!! It was amazing. They came with a tartare sauce which we were initially wary of but this too was perfect and worked so well with the rings. One of the best starters in the history of starters.

P1010710.jpg

(Continued in part 2 due to excessive photos...)

(continued from Part 1!)

After a welcome moments pause following the removal of our empty starter plate, we were served our main courses. I went for A sampling of Mom's favorite recipes - Crispy fried chicken, fork tender pot roast and traditional meatloaf with all the fixins because I am greedy and wanted to sample as much as possible!

P1010711.jpg

Perfect choice! It was incredible, my favourite was the meatloaf and the skin on the chicken was deliiiishhhhh. It was the biggest portion I had seen in quite a few days though and I was sadly defeated by a large portion of it :( I think I ate all the meatloaf, a bit of the chicken and most of the pot roast. The mashed potatoes were lush too. But the veggies had to be left….even though I was fully aware I’d get told off! You know when you physically can’t fit any more in your stomach and you just want to lie down in a dark room and never think about food again? This was the point I had reached in this meal. Remember I had drunk more or less a pint of ice-cream too.

Ben meanwhile was ploughing through his meal with great enthusiasm, he said it was delicious! And it really looked lovely too, I was so pleased for him!! Spaghetti and “Meatballs” Multigrain Spaghetti and Vegetarian Meatballs with Dad’s Marinara Sauce.

P1010712.jpg

We were planning to pay for this meal OOP by the way and costs were quite quickly spiraling out of control what with the onion rings, milkshake and marg and me ordering the most expensive thing on the menu!! Oops! :rotfl:

While we were eating Uncle Dale nipped back in every so often and we engaged in serious banter with him, we were loving it! He was so in character and so hilarious. When a new table was bought in we enthusiastically yelled out ‘PB AND J’ at the appropriate time which was thoroughly enjoyable :goodvibes We also peeked out at the scary lady server who was really laying into all her tables!

Eventually we could eat no more and sat back in defeat. Although I think Ben ate all of his as he sensibly didn’t order a dessert as a beverage. Dale came out to collect the plates and I thought I’d got away with it until Ben blurted out “Uncle Dale she’s hidden her greens under her chicken!” HAHA I did not see that coming, totally busted!! Dale gasped in mock astonishment, produced a fork from his apron and scooped up a forkful of green beans all while making aeroplane noises!! Haha it was hilarious but also very tense as I was quite certain this last forkful could have tipped me over the edge and guaranteed a vomiting episode. Luckily, I kept it down and Uncle Dale and everyone else clapped me hehe :woohoo:

We had had such a great time and thought Dale had been so brilliant that we decided to give him an extra large tip :) We sorted the money and I went to the toilet and when I came back Ben said Dale had seemed really happy and grateful and thanked us both very much and he’d also said he would be sure to tell Mom we could come over again :) Shucks, you can’t ask for more than that can you! We were really pleased that we’d given him a good tip because he really deserved it, he is so funny and in character and made the whole experience brilliant for us. We didn’t think much of the family who sat behind us who were MEGA grumps and ignored all his funny quips and jokes and generally weren’t nice…there are plenty of restaurants in HS where you don’t get the interaction, why would you make an ADR for 50’s PT?

If you do go to 50’s PT and are after some fun, please request Uncle Dale as he is hilarious!! And not TOO into it like the lady in the next section was haha! Perfect if you are a little shy at first or unsure like us :)

GOT TO BE A WEDDING DRESSSSSSSS!!!

Screenshot2012-01-25at151318.png

I was later glad we weren’t out there as the server was a legit crazy!!

Now I'm very curious. What was the crazy server doing?

I went for A sampling of Mom's favorite recipes - Crispy fried chicken, fork tender pot roast and traditional meatloaf with all the fixins because I am greedy and wanted to sample as much as possible!

:lmao: DD's boyfriend ordered this last year, totally cleaned his plate and ended up eating half my chicken, as well! He's not a very big guy but he sure earned his "clean plate club" sticker that day. Then DD got all competitive and almost killed herself trying to clean her plate, too. Our server took pity on her and gave her a sticker. We love the PT. It's always so much fun! I'm glad you had a good time!

That EOS Caprese looks delish! I tried EOS by myself last trip and loved it. I can't wait to take DH there next trip. I think you may have swayed me into trying the Caprese. :thumbsup2

That FP line at TSM is so crazy first thing in the morning! I got pushed and shoved all the way from the front of the park back at rope drop last time, so I think I'll be waiting just a little bit later in the day to get a FP next time. Craziness!

DH and I have always avoided 50s Prime Time since we are both painfully shy and therefore unsure about the interactive aspect of the meal, but the picture of that sampler is making me want to give it a try anyway. :laughing: That looks amazing! I'm a sucker for meatloaf. Add fried chicken in the mix and that's almost too good to pass up!

Great update!

Really enjoying your dining report!

I also cry at strange times...parades, circus...Never at obvious times though!!

Absolutely loving your reviews Libby, you and Ben are a great couple! I loved reading about his surprises for you, what a thoughtful guy! :lovestruc Looking forward to reading more!! popcorn::

These reviews are so much fun! THANK YOU for doing them. Gosh, I almost want to go to HS just experience 50's PT Cafe again, but I really don't like the park very much. :scared:

I'm glad you enjoyed 50s Prime Time, it's one of our favourites. We love the Tune In Lounge too. ;) You guys actually ordered the exact same things as we did, right down to the onion rings! :rotfl:

Thank you for your review of Ohana from the vegetarian side of things. I love this restaurant, but my new husband, who has never been to Disney, is a vegetarian and I was going to leave Ohana's off of our itinerary. Now I can make our dining reservations knowing he will be enjoy this dining experience.:cool1: When he looked at your photo's, he was all in for dining at Ohana's :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter