Ziploc bags and New Orleans airport security

nolacindy

Dead men tell no tales
I just got off the phone with best friend and fellow dis addict Thebeadpirate princess: (lori) who gets the pleasure of leaving today for her Disney vacation. As a experienced traveler she is very organized and has been using Ziploc bags for many years to transport craft projects, first aid kits, and any other small item that might get lost in the bottom of a pack. With the announcement that we can now take on one quart size ziploc bag filled with travel size liquids she packed along eye drops, hand sanitizer... the get the idea. When going thru security this morning she thought there would be no problem since she only had 1 ziploc with liquids.... not the case. They told that she was allowed only 1 ziploc bag in her carry on and couldn't she place everything in 1??!! What difference does it make if I have 50 bags as long as only one of them has liquid. :confused3 They did allow her to go thru with them, but this seems a little silly to me to question the number of bags you have with other things in them.
This may be an isolated incident, but it doesnt hurt to pass it along
Hmmm maybe I should pack each thing in my pack in its own little cozy zippy!!! hehehe :scratchin
Tomorrow, Tomorrow I love ya tomorrow... its because we go to Disney tomorrow Woo Hoo!!!!

The inmates are running the asylum again!

nolacindy said:
I just got off the phone with best friend and fellow dis addict Thebeadpirate princess: (lori) who gets the pleasure of leaving today for her Disney vacation. As a experienced traveler she is very organized and has been using Ziploc bags for many years to transport craft projects, first aid kits, and any other small item that might get lost in the bottom of a pack. With the announcement that we can now take on one quart size ziploc bag filled with travel size liquids she packed along eye drops, hand sanitizer... the get the idea. When going thru security this morning she thought there would be no problem since she only had 1 ziploc with liquids.... not the case. They told that she was allowed only 1 ziploc bag in her carry on and couldn't she place everything in 1??!! What difference does it make if I have 50 bags as long as only one of them has liquid. :confused3 They did allow her to go thru with them, but this seems a little silly to me to question the number of bags you have with other things in them.
This may be an isolated incident, but it doesnt hurt to pass it along
Hmmm maybe I should pack each thing in my pack in its own little cozy zippy!!! hehehe :scratchin
Tomorrow, Tomorrow I love ya tomorrow... its because we go to Disney tomorrow Woo Hoo!!!!

This is an example of your tax dollars at work. You can only HAVE ONE ZIP LOCK BAG??? Your friend was in compliance with the rules as stated on the TSA home page which do NOT say that zip lock bags can only be used for liquids, just that all liquids must be in ONE zip lock. Once again you have agents making up thier own rules that do NOTHING to ensure your safety, but do ensure that you will be harrassed.

(Of couse the TSA tired to arrest a man for freedom of speech in Minneapolis earlier this week so do as they say or risk jail time)

This is the kind of situation where you ask to see a supervisor, and the supervisor's supervisor if necessary.

I always put all my electronics in one big zip-loc baggie. It just makes it easier to put it all through together. I do understand that I don't hav to do it this way. Wonder if anyone will say anything about it at Logan in a few weeks. I will have my qt. size one with my few 'liquids/gels' in addition to my electronics one.

Oh, my gosh-it's a good thing they didn't search my carry-on. I must have had about 10 zip loc bags that for some reason I put in my carry-on instead of checked luggage. I'm just a big believer in having ziploc bags at WDW. Didn't know I was sneaking thru contraband by having extra bags.

Did she take all of the ziploc bags OUT of her carry on and place them in a bucket? Or did they see them through the machine? Just curious.

Oh, just found this on the TSA website:

Take metal items such as keys, loose change, mobile phones, pagers and personal digital assistants (PDAs) out of your pockets. Put these in your carry-on, or in a PLASTIC BAG.

Someone in TSA must have a link to the plastic bag industry. Why else would they prevent someone from carrying one (less than three ounce) tube of toothpaste simply because it was not in a plastic bag.

They are far to clever to run the asylum. :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter