zip lock bags for packing clothes in luggage

Luv2Roam

DIS Veteran
The search finction is disabled.
Can I get some reminders on what bags others have used for packaging their clothes, sqeezing out air, and packing in luggage?
Seems like people were buying large zip lock bags and sqeezing the air out, and using them like the luggage bags I see advertised on TV.
How do you do it. Just lay the clothes in flat and roll up the bag and pack the clear bags in the luggage?

I mostly use this idea for taking an extra set of clothes for my 2 kids at the parks in case of spills, accidents, or water rides. I can just hand the bag to DH and he can help DS change. Heaven forbid they would have to carry clothes into a restroom and risk being uncool! just return the soiled or wet clothes to the bag.
Here's how to pack: Fold the clothes neatly, as small as possible. I try to get everything the same size-don't roll socks, leave them flat. Put everything in the bag-I use just large ones, some people buy the extra large ones. I have to get on the floor with my knees on the bag. Squeeze the air out, and zip it. I zip it part way, push out air, zip it more, etc. Chant "I'm goin' to Disney" while you do this!! I have found that if you fold neatly, you don't have many wrinkles. And who cares, you're at Disney!!!

I did this when we went to DL last year and it was great. I just had to pull a Ziploc bag out for each kid and voila- an entire outfit without searching for a sock or a t-shirt to match. I also would throw and extra bag in the backpack in case of water soaking, etc. And it makes unpacking in your hotel room so simple! ;)

My kids refer to me as the "bag lady" because I use so many bags. When we go on a trip for more than a week, I put about 3-4 days worth of underwear in one large (1 gallon bag). I can actually fir in stuff for 4 of us in one bag. Usually pack a day or two in advance -- put stuff in and squeeze out as much air as possible. Day before leaving, I squeeze more air out. It's amazing how much more you can fit in!

Also I always stash a coupl eof extra bags of different sizes in my backpack. You never know when a bag will come in handy in the parks. During our trip during XMAS, I had kids dressed in long pants in the morning because it was chilly. Packed shorts in bags which I just through into backpack. They changed midday when it was hot and sunny.

Carried Ponchos the same way. Though the ponchos were still damp when we needed to put them away, the bags kept all the water inside rather than getting everything wet.

I love those zip-loc bags!!!

I did this for our trip to Disneyland and WDW. I was able to use 1 gallon bags (I used the freezer style) for my younger son and daughter (ages 4 and 6). For my older son (9), I used the larger bags (either 1 1/2 gallons or 2 gallons-I don't remember)

It's amazing how much air you can push out with little effort.

I also did this for our carry-ons for our WDW trip. Each child had a carry on bag with books and misc. small toys to play with. I also packed a pair of lightweight pajamas, bathing suit, change of clothing (t-shirt and shorts) and 2 pairs of underwear and socks. That way, if our luggage was lost, we had something to wear. It also stored easier in our carryons.

One more suggestion. We took two large bags for the 5 of us. I packed our clothes in the ziplock bags, and then divived each persons bags among both suitcases. That way, if one was lost, everyone had clothes in both.

HTH.

I've taken ziploc packing one step farther - I even number my kids bags! I like to dress our kids in the same colors so they're easier to spot in the parks. With the bags numbered, I can hop in the shower and DH just has to find the matching numbers to get the kids dressed. Yes, my friends laugh at me when I tell them this but our hotel mornings are so much easier and faster thanks to ziploc! Also, when you get home, put all of your ziplocs in your suitcase so you're ready to pack for your next trip.

I love the ziplock ideas!

One question for those who have packed this way - do you fold back up your dirty clothes and pack them in ziplocks to come home, or do you bring extra luggage for packing back up your dirty clothes?

Cathy

Here's a question... which works better... the actual Zip-Lock press-together-to-seal bags or the bags with the slider-sealer-thingie?
-MrsAPalm

We don't put the dirty clothes back - we just designate the biggest suitcase as the "hamper". We've never needed extra suitcases (except for the souvenirs!). We've used both the sliders and zippers - they both work fine for us. We sometimes have problems finding the bigger bags but Walmart usually has them.

Another good reason to put everyones clothes in bags is that the airlines now require that suitcases be unlocked when you check them. We just back from Hawaii and on one flight, one suitcase was opened and inspected and on another flight they open three of the four suitcases. They do not just look in them, but take things out so they can see everything.

It was soooo easy to just toss each kid a bag than to have to deal with the usual, (said in a whiny tone at the worst possible moment) I can't find my sooooooooocks Mom! Or the arguments for whether the red and blue striped Mickey Mouse tee goes with the green and black checked shorts... You get the picture.

I put EVERYTHING for an outfit in each bag. Undies, socks, shorts, tee, hair doo dads, etc. If they wore sandals instead of tennies then the socks went back in the suitcase for later in the day. I also numbered the bags (day 1, day 2) based on our plans for the day. So when we went to Cinderellas for breakfast or the Tea Party at the GF they had fancier clothes than when we went to AK. It was so stress free.

It also helped with packing. I really didn't have to worry about forgetting all of someones underwear (its happened in the past:rolleyes: ) or that the tees packed wouldn't work with the shorts. Really simple, I even did it for myself.

I brought a drawstring lawn size trashbag and lined the big suitcase with it to put the dirty clothes in then, did one load of wash while I was there. Put the clean clothes back into outfits and back into baggies for the second half of the trip.

Jennifer

I prefer the regular ziplock bags, rather than the slider thingie. I have a hard time opening the seal sometimes and I just think the regular press together are easest.

Julia

We used the zip lock bags on our trip last summer, but for airline security reasons, not because we have small children.

As TexasAggie mentioned, now the airlines are required to search each piece of luggage. While they weren't doing this last year when we went, I thought they might. It is much easier for them to search when everything is neatly packaged, and it sure makes for much less of a mess when they put everything back in.

I am really not crazy about not locking my luggage though! I guess anything I have any qualms about leaving unlocked will be put into carryons. Even some clothing like sneakers and swimsuits can be very expensive to replace if they turn up missing!:eek:

:sunny::bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :sunny:

We used the zip lock bags on our trip last summer, but for airline security reasons, not because we have small children.

As TexasAggie mentioned, now the airlines are required to search each piece of luggage. While they weren't doing this last year when we went, I thought they might. It is much easier for them to search when everything is neatly packaged, and it sure makes for much less of a mess when they put everything back in.

I am really not crazy about not locking my luggage though! I guess anything I have any qualms about leaving unlocked will be put into carryons. Even some clothing like sneakers and swimsuits can be very expensive to replace if they turn up missing!:eek:

:sunny::bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :sunny:
I'm traveling by plane for the first time [3months] to visit some family and I don't really know how airport security works when you check in a luggage. Do they open the ziploc's or just leave them zipped as they search your luggage?

Resurrecting a 12 year old zombie thread. Congrats and welcome to the Dis.

I can't tell if you are referring to checked or carry on luggage. Routinely, checked bags go thru an X-ray machine. They are only physically opened and examined if something suspicious is seen. Same thing with carry ons. They would only open a zip lock bag if they had a reason to be suspicious of the contents.

Here's a question... which works better... the actual Zip-Lock press-together-to-seal bags or the bags with the slider-sealer-thingie?
-MrsAPalm

I like the ones with the "slider" - but don't buy the really cheap ones (like the ones at Dollar Tree). Invest in some good quality ones. I bought some cheap slider bags for my trip last year, and more than half of them "broke" (the slider didn't work or fell off). Better to spend an extra dollar or two and get the good ones!

It was great for organization for me. I put each of my DD's outfit in a bag with that days hair accessory's. Labeled each one with the day and the park. Saved a lot of time in the morning when getting ready. I used gallon sized bags for them and 2 gallon ones for DH and I. Here is what it looked like when I was packing.
10255893_10154573441855696_7219626104108546688_n_zpsvdqimzu1.jpg

We used pack it cubes, but the CHEAP ones from Ikea! They are amazing, and you don't have to squeeze air out of them.

I also look at the forecast, and if there is a chance of rain, I line the suitcase with garbage bags. Worked once - I saw some Dooney & Burke stuff coming off the conveyor belt soaked. Ugh!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter