Yumm...Watermelon!

Snowwark

DIS Veteran
Juicy, sweet, seed-spitting, watermelon eatin', a favourite summer pastime. :) I wish I had the space to grow watermelons. Do any of you Buds have them in your garden? :)

WaterMelons

Watermelon lore

In ancient Greece, when half a watermelon was thrown at Roman governor Demosthenes (384-322 B.C.) during a political debate he clapped it on his head and thanked the thrower for providing him with a helmet to wear while fighting against Philip of Macedonia.

How to choose your melon

* Firm, evenly shaped melons that feel heavy for their size
* Melons that give a deep-pitched tone when slapped with an open palm
* Creamy yellow underside
* Dark green, shiny rind

Avoid

* Melons that give a high-pitched tone or a dead, thudding sound.
* Partially white or pale green rind
* Bruises, cuts, dents, soft spots
* Excessive white streaks through the flesh

Varieties

There are more than 1,200 varieties of watermelon in the world, about 200 of which are grown in North America. Only a few varieties are grown on a large commercial scale, however. They can be classified into four general categories:

Picnic or All-Sweet

15-45 lbs. (5-20 kilograms)
red or yellow flesh
round or oblong
light to dark-green rind, with or without stripes

Ice-box

5-15 lbs. (2-5 kilograms)
red or yellow flesh
round
dark or light-green rind

Seedless

10-30 lbs. (4.5-11 kilograms)
red or yellow flesh
oval to round
light-green rind with dark-green stripes

Yellow flesh

10-30 lbs. (4.5-13.5 kilograms)
oblong to long
light-green rind with mottled stripes
yellow to bright-orange flesh

watermelon.jpg

~The Hamilton Spectator~

Hi Kim...no watermelon here..but I love the stuff.

It's also good cut up in chunks and frozen...then with a little vodka in the blender...yum!

One of these days Vanessa, we must get Gina to share her Watermelon Martini recipe! :) Wouldn't it be nice if all the Buds could get together and sip on a few of them? :) :)

I'm going to have to get me a melon, and try your recipe...sounds delicious! :)

Watermelon martinis are just da bomb!!!!

Whirl that watermelon in the blender and drain off all that lovely juice into a nice, martini glass.

A bit of vodka, a few secret ingredients and away we go!

Tee hee.....

They all sound yummy. The frest watermelon, the watermelon martini and the watermelon margarita.

Rub lime wedge around 8 glasses and coat with sugar.

Combine 3 1/2 cupes seeded watermelon, 1/2 cup tequila, 3 tablespoons sugar, 3 tablespooons fresh lime juice, 1 tablespoon triple secin blender. Fill each glass with 1/2 cup crushed ice . Add 1/2 cup margarita. Garnish each glass with lime wedge if you want.

Tell me this wouldn't get your party going?

<center><font color=red>Watermelon Sangria</font>

1 bottle red wine (spanish)
1/2 bottle white zinfandel
1/2 bottle Beaujolais (burgundy wine)
1/4 cup brandy
1/4 cup tequila
1 qt. orange juice
1/2 cup each (lemon & lime juice)
1 cup club soda
1 cup watermelon juice
sugar to taste
orange slices and cherries for garnish

Whisk all ingreadients, add sugar to taste, garnish with orange slices and cherries.

~ Big Bump!~ :sunny:

I have 2, half watermelons, one seedless, one with seeds, that I've been munching on for the last two days!! I haven't even bothered to cut off slices. I just get them out, and a spoon, and dig in! So summery...so yummy!! :bounce:

Anyone else munching on melon these days? :)

Mix up a batch of these next time you have friends over! :)

~Watermelon Daiquiri~

4 cups peeled, seeded, cubed watermelon
1/2 cup light rum or 2 ounces light rum
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup orange-flavored liqueur
ice cubes

Freeze watermelon in a shallow pan at least 6 hours. Combine frozen watermelon, rum, lime juice, and orange-flavored liqueur in an electric blender; process until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides. Add enough ice to bring mixture to 5-cup level; process until smooth. Repeat procedure, if necessary, until mixture measures 5 cups. Makes 5 cups.

This isn't a daiquiri, it's a Watermelon Margarita (see Marlasmom's recipe- above), doesn't it look tasty?
::yes::

watermelonmargarita.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter