Your Interest In Gardening, When Did It All Begin?

Snowwark

DIS Veteran
Who or what sowed the seeds for you?

We always had a vegetable garden when I was growing up. We had a flower
garden or two, but nothing special. With 6 always famished kids, the vegetables won out over the flowers. It was never a huge garden, but we enjoyed tomatoes, carrots, beets and beet greens, peas, beans, lettuce and radishes. For a long time we had a patch of yellow raspberries, and of course, rhubarb.

My grandmother (on my father's side) always had a big vegetable garden. She had polio when she was a child, and I can still see her in my mind's eye, in her specially built up shoes, with her awkward gait, maneuvering between the rows of vegetables, pinching, weeding, harvesting. She had long white hair that she kept coiled in a bun at the nape of her neck. She always wore dresses and a big apron, the pockets bulging with twine, garden shears, and wrapped candies that she gave us when we helped her out.

Every summer we would visit my grandparents at their cottage in Quebec. Berry picking was a favourite pasttime. Depending on when we went, our cups and pails would brim with wild blueberries, strawberries, raspberries or blackberries. We quickly learned that "one for the pail, two for me" usually resulted in no pie for dinner!

One summer when I was 11 or 12, my girlfriend and I joined a kids garden program at our local Royal Botanical Gardens. You were assigned a small plot for you and your partner to plant vegetables. Bright and early every Saturday morning, her mother would drive us there, and we would tend to our small garden, talking and giggling all the while. If you had asked me at the time if I was doing this because I enjoyed gardening, I probably would have rolled my eyes and giggled.

I guess that all along an interest in gardening was growing, fed by pies and fresh vegetables, and rooted in happy childhood memories.

I have flowers now, and a few container grown vegetables. I'm still dreaming and hoping for a big garden, with lots of vegetables, maybe a berry patch!

I might even garden in a dress.

:)

Beautiful kim, just beautiful.

my mother used to show roses at shows and brought home many ribbons. she also used to bring in glads and use the neatest vase to spread them out like a fan. i have been looking for one of those vases for years.

We had a vegetable garden growing up but the bug really didn't bite me until we bought our first house. My sister helped, she is the gadener. She has all the knowledge to be a horticulturist, just not the degree.

I started with raised beds at the first house and then went nutty at the second house where I am now.

Mine started when I had my first piece of property which was my own. I started to take pride in what was mine and wanted it to look nice. We never had a garden or many flowers as I was growing up. Guess with all the kids in the house, my folks just didn't have time for it. Anyway, once I started getting my hands in the dirt, I couldn't stop. I started broadening my horizons and trying more and more new things. Now it's never ending. Although I don't have the time I'd like to devote to it with my own little kids (I understand more and more why my mom never did now) I thrive on it. I find it one of the most relaxing past times -- even though alot of the time it's alot of hard work!

My Mom. She grew vegetables in the large field behind our house. Veggies were nice, but it was flowers that got me hooked. When I got my own yard last year, I became completely hopeless. Now I'm getting into landscaping. When will it end?!? LOL!!!!

My family was very large and my parents constantly struggled to make ends meet. We had a large garden, chickens, and milk cows. Every spring I was called into service to help with the planting. Later I helped weed and pick. My parents were not particularly good gardeners - nor did they try and make the tasks fun... so most of my memories of the garden are actually rather negative.

When I grew up and moved to my own place, the bug bit me in a small way. I grew a few tomato plants and a row or two of green beans. Later I was inspired by the show "square foot gardening" and I built four 4' x 4' raised beds and created my own soil in those beds. I planted using the square foot method and was rewarded with a HUGE crop in very little space. I continued with the square foot garden for many years - adding an occassional new bed and adding vertical grow structures. I was still only growing vegetables though. Then we put a new house on our property - replacing the old one. I needed to get serious about the landscaping. I wanted gardens - flowers in fact. So I researched and planned - and put in my first flower bed. It was nice... not great - just nice. Two years later I completely redid the first effort and this time - it was VERY NICE. :)

From there it has blossomed. My vegetable garden transformed into a more traditional garden (use wide row methods now). I added another large flower garden connected to the vegetable garden - and it has become my secret haven. My DH helped me to build a fence around the main gardens - making it feel even more like a sanctuary.

How did this happen to me?! :confused: Now I add gardens on a yearly basis?! :rolleyes: :p

I first got the gardening bug from my nanna she used to take care of me as a small child and she grew the most beautiful roses on her little city plot and out in the back alley. Then as I got older and my parents moved us out to the country mom started to grow veggies and flowers.

Now I have my own home with my DH and DD and I have the gardening bug bad. And I love it. I currently have 9 perrenial beds and growing. I just with my DD would get some interest maybe when she's grown I guess it's not a teenage thing. Although I will say she said "Mom I wish we didn't live in the middle of the woods so others could see your beautiful gardens and all the hard work you put into them.

Happy gardening.

Laura

My Grandma Tess gave me her green thumb.

She lived in the country, with huge perennial beds around the house, a giant vegetable garden, and a small arbor. She would go out every day to tend them all.

I'll never forgot the taste of the veggies just picked from the garden. Puts grocery store veggies to shame!

Now I have a huge garden of my own, with many perennial beds, an herb/veggie garden, and apple/pear trees. My Grandma Tess is 92 now and in congestive heart failure. Whenever my daughter and I go visit her, we take her a bunch of flowers from our garden. Although she doesn't always know who we are, I'm sure she can still appreciate the smell of just-picked flowers.

I hope I can pass on some of my love of gardening to my daughter. (Along with a love of vegetables too -- wishful thinking!)

:D

MidwestPiglet, Crazyforpooh, interesting that your grandmothers were the ones to first get you hooked too. Don't give up on your daughters, I'm sure the interest is there and will show up in time. :)

Dixie, I'm glad you can enjoy gardening now, and as far as adding new beds on a yearly basis goes, well, you got bit bad!! :) Does Bullseye_Girl still have her own section of garden?

Cgcw, it is very relaxing isn't it. I'm sure your pride of ownership shows in your gardens, and you're right, it never ends. :)

Olena, we'd love to hear about your landscaping plans! :)

Vanessa, did you bring home more plants this weekend? ;) :)

Great stories, thank you for sharing them!

Anymore out there?

What an enjoyable thread. It was very pleasant reading all your experiences. Thank you all for sharing them.

My Dad grew up on a farm and so I guess I got my love of dirt from him and "Babci on the Farm" as opposed to "Babci on High Street" - how we referred to my two grandmothers.

Hubby says I come from good Polish stock and that is why I like playing in the dirt. I wish my thumb was more green. I have no interest in vegetable gardening. Dad had one when we were growing up for a number of years and it was neat to watch him out there and watch the stuff grow but the "Pretty Plants" are what I liked best.

My mom had roses, rhododendrum, azaleas, day lillies, snapdragons, forsythia and a snowball hydrangea and, of course, the peonies that "Babci on the Farm" planted for us and they actually came from the farm. She had (and still has) a beautiful Mountain Laurel plant. Before settling in the house I grew up in and where she is to this day, my parents must have lived in 8 or more different homes in several states. Mom said that at every site she would plant a Mountain Laurel since it is the state flower of Connecticut, her home state. Maybe one day I will plant one in her honor.

She was over last weekend for the first time in - believe it or not - two years, and I showed her my peony plants with pride, even though the flowers are long gone. She then started to tell me how "in the paper last week they were talking about peonies and how to plant them and that the best time is the end of this month". So I took up the cue and asked her "so, does this mean you are offering me more of Babci's peony plants". She laughed and said if I want more, I can come and get them. Yippie!!!

Sorry for rambling on so....

I would have to say my mom.

Growing up in a big city limits what type of gardening can be done, due to space, nevermind the pool setup every summer for me and my brother. Growing up, most of the outdoor gardening was vegetables, and there were planters in every window of the house, with a large variety of tropical plants. Once the pool moved on, the backyard got a real redo and is now one huge garden with a large variety of both annuals and perennials, a pond with a fountain, and a lot less but still some vegetables.

A lot of it rubbed off on me. And I've been approaching it slowly over the 10 years I've been a homeowner, as there's a huge backyard, being we live in the Chicago suburbs. It took 2 years just to redo what was already here to more of my liking, including moving 2 wonderful rosebush, regrooming some evergreens, and fixing some lawn problems. The last 8 started with a small planting bed on each side of the deck, added a third bed the next year, a birdfeeder the next, and now it's a huge planting area, I'd guess somewhere around 40 square feet altogether. And that's not counting more than a dozen different planters with a good variety of annuals, some tropical, and 2 plumeria which are about to have blooms :D And I'm still not done, as I'd like to add some water in the form of a pond with a small pump-fed brook, as the yard has a natural slope away from the house.

You didn't ramble on Tulirose, it's a lovely story! :)

Very cool about your mother planting a Mountain Laurel wherever she lived.
I hope you get your Babci peonies Tulirose!! :) Let us know when you do.

BTW - I don't know how I missed your response, sorry about that!

Mark, I remember your beautiful pics of the deck and the surrounding beds, gorgeous! :)

And I'm still not done, as I'd like to add

Of course you're not........oh the endless possiblities! :) :)

Thank you!! :)

Mine started when we moved to PA and we actually bought the house we moved into. Up until then, we were always renting as we didn't know how long we'd be there. I caught the bug big time and I was always digging new gardens somewhere. We had a great vegatable garden in the back that so manageable. Then we moved to another house (that we had built). The soil here is horrible. :( My vegatable garden was near impossible to till every year and it just seemed to get worse in stead of better. So I am growing my veggies in pots on the patio now. :(
My flower gardens do pretty well here. They are still not nearly as nice as at the other house. But they're mine, regardless.
We're in the middle of a terrible drought and the gardens are suffering. I try to water every night, but the flowers all look so sad. I wish it would rain and rain hard!

About 6 years ago when we moved in to this house... I looked at the yard and thought Hmmm this could look better... Been hooked since.

The gardening bug bit me in the early 70s when I begn to watch Crockett's Victory Garden on PBS. Jim Crockett had a beautiful, practical approach to gardening that just won me over, and I've been gardeing since.

We always had a vegetable garden when I was growing up too...my whole family did - aunts, uncles, grandparents. We lived on what we grew - never bought canned or frozen vegetables. Dad and mom canned as much as they could and froze corn off the cob. We even grew our own popcorn.

My dad and his mom both had wonderful "green thumbs". I tried taking care of house plants and just was never succesful but always wanted to be because I idolized how my dad could grow things - anything from vegetables to trees!!!! And our lawn always looked very nice.

So when I got married the first time I tried my hand and planting some plants and they just didn't make it - wonder if that was a sign!!!! :D

Then this time after getting married and moving into our own house I assumed I had no other choice but make sure my own lawn looked nice (dh is NOT much of a gardener). The house had some things planted but they didn't look that great and it wasn't really taken care of. The back lawn even was like a farm field. So the first year we were there I dug up the grass around the sidewalk in the front because I wanted to plant annuals and there was no place to plant any. After that first year, they grew so awesomely that I couldn't help but want to do more. And it all "sprouted" from there.....and now I can't stop myself!!!!!! I have big plans for next year...now just got to come up with the money!!!! LOL

I think mine started when I was trying for my gardening badge in Girl Guides. I had to grow a vegetables and flower garden and I always remember the Guide Leader coming over to judge my garden and saying how healthy it all looked. For some reason the nasturtiums refused to bloom but the plant itself looked terrific. Anyway, I got my badge.

From then on I have always had some kind of garden whether it be when I still lived at home or in containers when I got my first apartment. When dh and I bought our first home, a condominium townhouse, I'd plant a few plants around the bushes growing near the front and back doors, even though we weren't supposed to. When we finally bought our first single house, I kind of went wild with gardening because I could never refuse a flower or plant at the nursery. The gardens just kept getting bigger and bigger. At this, our 4th house, I'm better at that now but I know if I find that "certain" plant, I'll just have to have it!:rolleyes:

It's really nice to see you here Barb! :) I'm sorry to hear about the soil conditions and the drought. We finally received some much needed rain last week, but it was almost a case of too little too late.

Have you dug out any of the soil and replaced it? We had to do that because our soil is heavy clay.

Nat, you've done a lot in 6 years!! It looks wonderful! :)

Hi again wbk! :) We'd love to hear more details about your garden, we're nosy that way! ;) :)

Home grown popcorn December99? Sounds very cool! :) Gardening is a good addicition.....don't try to stop yourself, it's impossible...LOL!

Julie, I don't why but it's very easy for me to picture you as a Girl Guide! :) :) It's amazing how many of those "certain plants" are out there, isn't it? ;)

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter