• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

You wouldn't find this growing in my veggie garden....

Snowwark

DIS Veteran
if I had a veggie garden that is! ;)

Yep, it's Saturday night at the cottage, DH is already asleep, and neither my brother nor my mother will play cards with me!!! ;)

So, I asked them, what 's your least favourite vegetable? (yes, we're bored!!)

My mother, brother, and I, all had the same answer, BRUSSEL SPROUTS!!! My brother referred to them as "those small cabbage thingies". lol

What veggie wouldn't I find growing in your garden?

Kim :)

Any kind of pepper.

What card games wouldn't they play? I love card games....:D

I don't think there's a vegetable I don't like.

I do believe it's how you cook them that makes the difference. Like brussel sprouts cooked al-dente they have a nutty taste, over cooked they taste like mush.

LOL! My sister planted brussel sprouts this year and I can't wait for them to be mature! LOL LOL LOL

I agree, Mamu. Undercooked brussel sprouts are a gift from heaven! YUMMY!

There's no veggie I don't eat so I suspect I am not a good person to answer this question.

Hehehehe....good topic, though!

Brussels sprouts are yummy when barely cooked,,,you ought to try them Kim.

I dont care for peppers but for some reason the kids do, so i'll grow peppers for them, but once they are gone...peppers..not in my garden.

Okay, 1 vote for (or should I say against?) beets, 2 votes for peppers, and 3 votes for brussel sprouts!! Undercooked, overcooked, for me they always be....overlooked! ;)

What gives with the peppers???

Do we have to pick just one veggie????? (I'm a veggie not-liker person).

Mine would be anything maroon/purple (beets); anything green except peppers and green beans; anything light colored (like squash, cabbage, etc.) and anything yellow except corn!!!!

ROFL

Okay, I thought I'd try them again, tastes change. I was careful not to over cook the little guys, in fact I might not of cooked them enough. I ate 6 of them, DH woudn't even try 1! :rolleyes:

The verdict, well, they were ...........okay, but I think I'll wait till next year to try them again.

Poor little brussel sprouts. ;) :)

Kim, I am SO proud of you. LOL

I had cooked peppers in an omlet the other day...those green slimy things...still don't like them.

hmmmm... what wouldn't I grow in my vegetable garden?! Oh! I know... WAX BEANS. They are an abomination of real beans... they really do taste like WAX to me. LOL!

I love pole beans though... steamed with butter and alittle salt... in fact ... that is how I love all my veggies cooked... steamed. My mother used to BOIL vegetables and cooked them to death... hence I never liked them much (who would?!). But, when I began cooking using a steamer - WOW! Opened my eyes to the joys of good vegetables. I also sautee them in butter/olive oil alot. In fact, here is my latest veggie passion:

1 cup of sliced and quartered zuchinni
1/2 cup of diced garden tomatoes
1 TBS of olive oil
2 TBS of FRESHLY grated parmesan (the real stuff not the canned powder crap!)

Sautee the zuchinni in the olive oil in a skillet until they are just tender. Add some salt to taste. Add tomatoes and stir fry until they just begin to "collapse". Put on the serving dish and add the grated parmesan on the top. This is exactly enough for one serving... just multiply the ingredients to prepare as much as you need! THIS IS YUM!

Oh DD, I understand about boiling veggies. Funny story.

DH's mother used to boil her veggies till they all looked the same...brown and mushy and it doesnt matter what color it started out.
DH went to Culinary Institute of America and learned how to cook veggies and loves every single one of them.
Of couse, his mother still swears he hates veggies....even when she sees him eat them.

You recipe sounds simple and tasty DixieD, I'll have to try it! :)

......none of that canned powder crap for me either! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter