You guys would have cheered today at the supermarket...

Mskanga

<font color=navy>Can speak and read 4 languages fl
I was shopping with my kids and half an hour after we are walking around we hear a clerk over the intercom announcing: "To the nice driver of the vehicle ( then gives the description ) license plate number#####, you are taking two of our handicapped spaces, please move your car".
My DD asked me , what did they say?? and I said to her , someone who is not very nice took up two handicapped parking spaces with their car and they are asking the person to move it. She says that's not nice, I said not it's not . Right after that I see a couple infront us and their faces as red as could be, then I hear the woman telling the man, here , you go move it. They were so embarrased that I don't think they will ever do it again.

HAZAAAHHH!!! ;)

Mermaid, we would want to cheer because the woman on the intercom made a non-handi person get out of the TWO (count em LOL) handi parking places they so rudely took up.

Usually no one cares to announce handi-related things of the intercom. Least where I'm from :(

Again I say.....HAZAAAHHH!!! :)

Maybe they made a mistake. I mean...why would someone purposely take TWO parking spaces, that doesn't make sense. And how did we know that they were non-handicapped? The announcement didn't say that after all - just that they took up two spaces.

If they shouldn't have been parking there, yes, they should have been made to move their car, no argument on that.

I guess it's just that the discomfort and embarassment of others doesn't make me "want to cheer."

You see?? Ignorant people on the debate board are putting words in my mouth and twisting things for this.....accusing me of superiority complex....yet they don't know that when I explained to my dd what was happening, I did not know who the perpetrators were, never said anything about them having a disablitity or not, I simply explained to my dd what they did and the consequences of their actions, you know what?? if they didn't want to get embarrased they shouldn't have done it in the first place!!
So if standing up for what is right gives me superiority complex....then so be it.

..why would someone purposely take TWO parking spaces,

With all due respect....I have seen this done PLENTY of times in the handicapped and non handicapped spots!! I don't know you , but I know when I am taking up two spots, if they can't see that then I guess they can't see that much and shouldn't be driving.

Just a reminder, play nice.
The original poster did not say the people were not entitled to park in one handicapped spot, only that they were taking up two.
A few weeks ago, I took my youngest DD to get her hair cut. Lucky I had my oldest DD along with me. There were no handicapped parking spots available, so I had to unload DD at the curb and then park in a regular spot quite far away. It was raining and we were lucky to not get too wet. If older DD had not been with me to stay with younger DD, we would not have been able to unload at all. I saw at least 3 vehicles that were taking up two spots. The person parking there had pulled in REALLY crooked or so far to one side that they were taking up enough of the second spot to make it unuseable. I'm concerned that if a person is parking that poorly, do they have the driving skills needed to be out on the road at all?
This was a strip mall with many small shops, so there was no way to make an announcement, but I think they should do more announcements when people are taking up extra spots.

That's exactly the point Sue, I was glad that they were told to move the car to take one spot only, if they were embarrased, they put themselves in that situation, they were not very considered of other people when they parked in two spots.

Originally posted by Mskanga
You see?? Ignorant people on the debate board are putting words in my mouth and twisting things for this.....accusing me of superiority complex....yet they don't know that when I explained to my dd what was happening, I did not know who the perpetrators were, never said anything about them having a disablitity or not, I simply explained to my dd what they did and the consequences of their actions, you know what?? if they didn't want to get embarrased they shouldn't have done it in the first place!!
So if standing up for what is right gives me superiority complex....then so be it.

ummm....I've reread my post, and don't see where I said that.

I hope you are not calling ME ignorant.

I never said it was you Lil Mermaid , but if you take it personal that's your problem.

Thanks for the story Mskanga......it is nice to know that some care about people who Need those parking spaces.:bounce: :Pinkbounc

Well, since I was the only other person who had posted, who else could you have been referring to?

Oh, the correct word would be "personally", not "personal."

Wow, I just went to the debate board to see what this was about........don't the posting guidelines apply over there????:rolleyes: I think we need to send some Pixie Dust their way :confused:

Nope, no posting guidelines there. That is why it is the DEBATE board. I remember back many moons ago when it was called the Battle Board...

And if this gets into a battle, it will be moved to the debate board.

Please play nice everyone.

I often see people take up two spots in a parking lot. And they know full well they are doing it because they are in the middle of the two.
What fustrates me even more is those people who park in the area meant for putting the lift down in a van accessible spot. When they do this my husband can;t bring the wheelchair up to me and I am stuck in the car. Like, hello, that is not a parking spot. And it is often a person with a handicap tag who should know better. Also people who block the ramp by parking in front of it.

I am guilty one time of parking in the access spot, but it was because someone with a car had parked in the van accessible spot (the only one in the area!!!). I left enough room for the person to get back in and I parked in the access spot so that I could put my ramp down in the vacant handicapped spot next to the access and get DD out. We were just running in to the dry cleaner for 5 minutes, but I couldn't leave her in the van since it was almost 90 degrees. I couldn't leave the van and air conditioning on since I wouldn't be able to lock it. If we had been there longer, I would not have parked there.
I also sometimes take 2 regular spots, as far away from the entrance as I can find 2 spots together when all the van accessible spots are taken.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter