"You Go, Girl!" August Exercise Challenge

92% of the team has now reported in, and we have two new color changes - Tasha228 and 2manypets!!

(No new minutes yet for me today.)

And for day 15, we have - Merida:
Merida.jpg

"If you had the chance to change your fate, would you?"
"Our fate lives in us. You only have to be brave enough to see it."
"I am Merida, and I'll be shooting for my own hand. "

Some Brave Trivia from IMDb
:

Merida is the first Pixar character to be included in the Disney Princess line.

Two additional software programs were specially developed for this film by Pixar in the period of three years. One of them allows simulation of Merida's 1500 strands of hair curls to move together with her movements.

While the surname MacIntosh (or McIntosh) is a common in Scotland, and the name of a well-known variety of apple, here it appears to be a reference to the Apple computer. Steve Jobs was a co-founder of Apple and played a big role in Pixar. The movie is dedicated to him at the end credits: "Dedicated to the memory of Steve Jobs, our partner, mentor and friend". Merida's repeatedly being interrupted while trying to eat an apple, which her mother considers unladylike, may also be a reference to the Apple logo: an apple with a single bite taken out.

Merida's name in Hebrew means "to rebel".

Castle DunBroch, where the family lives, translates to Castle Castle Castle.

None of the footage shown in the preview trailer is in the finished film.

The chess set in Merida's room is the famous Lewis Chessmen from the 12th century, unearthed in Scotland in 1831.

Merida is the first Disney princess to have brothers.

Kelly Macdonald (Merida/Helena Ravenclaw), Robbie Coltrane (Lord Dingwall/Hagrid), Emma Thompson (Elinor/Professor Trelawney), and Julie Walters (The Witch/Molly Weasley) all have roles in both Brave and the Harry Potter movies.

Pixar's trademark "A113" can be seen carved in Roman Numerals in the Witch's Hut.

:cheer2: Keep up the great work, everyone!! :cheer2:

Happy Wednesday, everyone!!

Personal Numbers: 35 minutes yesterday and 20 today, for a new total of 315/620
Team Stats: 4,058 minutes, or 43% of goal!! (Only 700 minutes to the next team color change!) :cheer2:

:rainbow:
Individual Color Changes: keiraliz to Opportunity Orange, and
Sophy1996 & PollyannaMom (me) to Perseverance Purple

Day 16: Minnie

Minnie.jpg

::MinnieMo Minnie's debut cartoon was Plane Crazy in 1928.
::MinnieMo There is some speculation that "Minnie" is short for Minerva.
::MinnieMo Walt Disney himself originally did Minnie's voice.
::MinnieMo Minnie has her own BOWtique on the new Mickey Mouse Clubhouse series.

And here's a musical lesson if you'd like to draw Minnie yourself:

Early update today, as DS and I are off to Grandpa and Nana's in a little while.

No new color changes, but here are some team stats:
Total Minutes: 4,123/9,515
Percent of Team at Blue or higher: 92%
Percent of Team at Orange or higher: 83%
Percent of Team already at Purple: 42%
Next Whole Team Color Change in: 635 minutes

Day 17: Mulan

Mulan.jpg Mulan Quote.png

From IMDb ~

This retelling of the old Chinese folktale is about the story of a young Chinese maiden who learns that her weakened and lame father is to be called up into the army in order to fight the invading Huns. Knowing that he would never survive the rigours of war in his state, she decides to disguise herself and join in his place. Unknown to her, her ancestors are aware of this and to prevent it, they order a tiny disgraced dragon, Mushu to join her in order to force her to abandon her plan. He agrees, but when he meets Mulan, he learns that she cannot be dissuaded and so decides to help her in the perilous times ahead.

Mulan was voiced by two different actresses: Ming-Na Wen for speaking parts and Lea Salonga for singing parts.

When Mulan sings "Reflection" in her father's shrine, the writing on the temple stones is the names of the Disney animators who worked on the film, written in ancient Chinese.

Mulan's name means "wood orchid" or "magnolia." As such, magnolias serve as a running motif in the movie.

The spots on Shang's horse's neck and rump are shaped like Mickey Mouse. There are also other hidden Mickeys in the film.

Have a great day, everyone, and keep up the good work!!

Happy Friday, everyone!! (Sorry for the late post. The site was acting up on me this morning.)

I have 80 new walking minutes to report for myself (395/620) and the team is at 4,444 :cheer2: (which I think is neat, because yes, I'm a math geek!)

:welcome: back @GrandAdmiralStrife, and congrats to Elizabeth Smith and Tasha228 on reaching :rainbow: Perseverance Purple!!!

for Day 18, we move on to N, and Nala:

Nala is Simba's friend (and later, mate) in The Lion King, and her name means "gift" in Swahili.

She was voiced by four different actresses in the animated film:
Nikita Calame - young Nala, speaking parts
Laura Williams - young Nala, singing voice
Moira Kelly - Nala! speaking parts
Sally Dworsky - Nala, singing voice

Last edited:
Hello again, and welcome to Day 19! I don't have any color changes or personal minutes since yesterday afternoon, but for the letter O, we get three characters for the price of one:

Orddu, Orwen, and Orgoch -

the witches of Morva from the The Black Cauldron.

The film was released in 1985, and was Disney's first animated feature with a PG rating!

I haven't actually seen it, but between IMDb and the Disney Wiki, I've gathered that it is based on the Chronicles of Prydain book series by Lloyd Alexander (which itself is based on Welsh mythology).

The witches are listed as "neutral characters" and are involved in the cauldron changing hands.

Here is a brief YouTube clip -

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter