Yacht Club vs. ASMu family suite

Juliet25

DIS Veteran
Planning an 8 night stay in March and have Yacht Club booked. I looked at the ASMu Family suites and saw they would be $856 cheaper to stay there. Here’s some considerations:

I love the Boardwalk. I’ve never stayed at YC, but have stayed at BW and BC.

The YC’s big draw is location, location, location, but the room makeover looks very blah to me. (Price for YC is considerably less than BC and BW, sovthe others aren’t an option).

I haven’t stayed at an AS in a long time (16 years).

The space in the FS is really attractive. Kids are 14, almost 10, and 7. It would be really nice for DH and I to have our own room.

We’re not commando types. We will be spending time at resort. Kids will want to play in pool a lot.

We don’t really do TS restaurants, so the lack thereof at ASMu isn’t a big deal.

We’ll be driving down, so we’ll have option to drive to parks if transportation is an issue, but we really prefer to use Disney transportation.

So, I’m kind of leaning towards ASMu. The savings is pretty significant, and the space is a big draw. But I do love the BW and would like to try out a new resort. Plus the kids would love that BC pool. Also, DH and I would feel comfortable leaving the kids at YC to go to EPCOT by ourselves for a few hours, so that’s a plus for YC.

Please help me decide!

This same thing is an issue for us too. We also have a family of 5 and it feels crowded in one room at the BC. But we do still go there as we go for the location. But I’m always very tempted to get a family suite.

Do you think you’d miss being able to walk to the boardwalk?

Will you miss a poolside bar/food?

Yacht Club by a MILE

Is the YC that good, or the AS that bad, lol? I do like the deluxe resorts, I admit.

This same thing is an issue for us too. We also have a family of 5 and it feels crowded in one room at the BC. But we do still go there as we go for the location. But I’m always very tempted to get a family suite.

Do you think you’d miss being able to walk to the boardwalk?

Will you miss a poolside bar/food?

I think it will be the location I miss. We have lots of good memories at the BW/BC. Our last trip, we stayed at BW. It was a bit tight, but not too bad. We do spend a lot of time at the resort, so in that sense, maybe we should stay with YC. I just love the atmosphere of that area. It really feels like our home away from home (we owned at BW DVC, so it kind of was!).

Its like comparing apples to oranges.

Motel 6 vs a Hilton

Id rather be cramped in style then spread out in mediocre accomodations. Just my personal preference.

If you must do a suite, why not the Cars suite at AoA?

With your party I would go with ASMu. The extra space and the 2nd bathroom would be great. We have thoroughly enjoyed our stays at all the All Stars.

And yes, I've stayed at both.

I don't think ASmu has been updated in the last few years. I know there are others that have been there recently that can correct that if it is wrong.

The resorts are apples and oranges for sure, so it really will come down to space. ASmu will have additional space and we liked that it had the 'panty' area with the mini-fridge and microwave.

The pool area at ASmu is also nice but it's no Stormalong Bay.

If you've stayed at a Value resort in the past then you'll have an idea on what to expect. If you have only stayed at Deluxe, well... do your homework - look at the pictures and read the reviews.

We LOVED having 2 bathrooms and lots of extra space in the ASMu suites. Plus, with three fold-outs in the living room, each kid would get his/her own bed and mom & dad could have private time in their own room. With 3 kids, I'd stay at ASMu.

no comparison, Yacht club by a mile. great pool, comfortable day bed (even for an adult)

however Art of Animation family suite was really wonderful. great to have 2 bathrooms with a family. but there is a murphy bed (which I slept on and was really comfortable) and a pull out couch as well as the bedroom. If two bathrooms would be better, I'd go toward Art of Animation suites

I agree with the others, YC by a mile especially if you are spending a lot of time at the resort. If you really want a separate space, consider pricing out any of the 1-bedroom villas that sleep 5 - AKV, BLT and OKW. I would even do Ft. W over ASMu.

I really like YC, it's a great location and a nice quiet retreat from the chaos. SAB will be wonderful if you guys are spending some pool time together.

The daybed is comfy, but a might be tight for a family of 5. If you guys are comfy in the rooms at the BWI, then YC will be similar.

We were torn too- the suites are way cheaper and would give us more room... But for our upcoming Jan trip we went with the yacht club for all the reasons the other posts mentioned..
1) location cannot be beat- (Epcot or HS walk/boat)
2) stormalong bay (even in Jan my kids will swim!)
3) upscale resort & amenities (makes it feel like more of a vacation)
4) better night life at Boardwalk and/or Epcot (without kids)
5) balcony in every room allows for some more space

We are a family of 5 (3 teenagers!) but we never spend time in our room at WDW so space is not as much of an issue for us. We only have 4 nights this trip so maybe that made a difference..I guess for a longer trip I would have wanted the mini-kitchen in the suites

What pushed me to YC was remembering that our last trip to the BC we got upgraded to club level. That was a major surprise and that cannot happen at the ASMu resort! We are hoping for more pixie dust on this trip!!!

We like to spend time at the resort and love EP and HS, so I would choose YC hands down.

Planning an 8 night stay in March and have Yacht Club booked. I looked at the ASMu Family suites and saw they would be $856 cheaper to stay there. Here’s some considerations:

I love the Boardwalk. I’ve never stayed at YC, but have stayed at BW and BC.

The YC’s big draw is location, location, location, but the room makeover looks very blah to me. (Price for YC is considerably less than BC and BW, sovthe others aren’t an option).

I haven’t stayed at an AS in a long time (16 years).

The space in the FS is really attractive. Kids are 14, almost 10, and 7. It would be really nice for DH and I to have our own room.

We’re not commando types. We will be spending time at resort. Kids will want to play in pool a lot.

We don’t really do TS restaurants, so the lack thereof at ASMu isn’t a big deal.

We’ll be driving down, so we’ll have option to drive to parks if transportation is an issue, but we really prefer to use Disney transportation.

So, I’m kind of leaning towards ASMu. The savings is pretty significant, and the space is a big draw. But I do love the BW and would like to try out a new resort. Plus the kids would love that BC pool. Also, DH and I would feel comfortable leaving the kids at YC to go to EPCOT by ourselves for a few hours, so that’s a plus for YC.

Please help me decide!
I vote for the Yacht Club due to their amazing pool complex.

Thanks everyone! I crunched some numbers and realized that I can save the difference between the two resorts if we use up our non expiring tickets and buy a few day passes, so we’re sticking with YC. I think we spend too much time at the resort to not be in love with our surroundings. The EPCOT area feels like home, and I’m excited to try a new resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter