Wow, what a resource!

noisykid

Earning My Ears
Hi all, I just joined. I'd been aware of DVC in the past, but never took the time to learn the intricacies. I'm excited to learn the ins and outs with the help of everyone here. Going to be taking my almost 8 yr old daughter to WDW for 6 nights and her first Disney experience in September; after reserving a Theme Park View Club Level room at the Polynesian for around $8k, I thought, hmmmm, maybe I should re-visit DVC and re-think our accommodations. That 8k could possibly go a long way towards a contract, or maybe I just rent to feel it out and save a bit of cash (credit card points, really). So here I am!

IMO, DVC isn't for you if you aren't visiting every year, maybe every other year. If your 8 year hasn't gone yet, that doesn't sound like your family.

This is a complicated product with a lot of rules, and it locks you into going to Disney, which maybe isn't your thing. There's a lot of research to do. And even if you signed today, you might not get your points in time to book for fall, which is peak DVC season, because the point are cheap.

But yea, $8K can go a long way renting points. That's an option.

Lots of information in the DVC section of the board, so do lots of reading and don't be afraid to ask questions. We bought into DVC 2 years ago, after renting points for years. My biggest complaint is that I wish we bought sooner! Right now is a great time to buy resale as prices are quite low, however, as RoseGold mentioned, DVC is a very particular product that doesn't work for everyone, so do your due diligence before making any decisions.

Are you thinking of traveling regularly to WDW (at least once every 2 years)? Do you normally stay in deluxe resorts (or at least moderate)? Are you willing to plan your trips in advance (at least 7-8 months out, ideally 11 months out)? Do you have the cash on hand to buy the contract (or at least able to pay off any loans quickly)? Any monetary savings from buying in can be quickly eaten up by interest on loans, and while finances aren't the only thing to consider, they are a major one.

These are questions only you can answer, but don't hesitate to ask around here for advice. And remember, everyone on here is only sharing their opinion, including me!

8k is a huge chuck toward the purchase of a contract but what will get ya is the maintenance fees. You’ll pay them, every year, for the length of your contract. And plan that they will always increase.
I would highly suggest renting from a dvc member as your first step. A lot of people love renting for its variety, cost savings, and obviously no commitment.
I disagree that dvc membership won’t be for you. You may love Disney after that first trip and end up buying a contract down the line. However, do not buy a membership for your first trip IMO. As others mentioned, availability may not be there and you want to fully understand the product ahead of purchase.
Try the rent/transfer post! I have rented many times from there with success every time. Most owners have contracts both parties sign to help feel more secure in the process.
This place is full of information and there are lots of people full of knowledge here. I’m in the process of buying my first resale contract thanks to these folks!

Lots of information in the DVC section of the board, so do lots of reading and don't be afraid to ask questions. We bought into DVC 2 years ago, after renting points for years. My biggest complaint is that I wish we bought sooner! Right now is a great time to buy resale as prices are quite low, however, as RoseGold mentioned, DVC is a very particular product that doesn't work for everyone, so do your due diligence before making any decisions.

Are you thinking of traveling regularly to WDW (at least once every 2 years)? Do you normally stay in deluxe resorts (or at least moderate)? Are you willing to plan your trips in advance (at least 7-8 months out, ideally 11 months out)? Do you have the cash on hand to buy the contract (or at least able to pay off any loans quickly)? Any monetary savings from buying in can be quickly eaten up by interest on loans, and while finances aren't the only thing to consider, they are a major one.

These are questions only you can answer, but don't hesitate to ask around here for advice. And remember, everyone on here is only sharing their opinion, including me!

Great questions all around.
We normally stay in deluxe resorts, 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom is ideal typically. We wanted to stay in Poly for the first trip for its convenience and spirit. Yes, willing to plan 11 months out. We would be a cash purchase, no financing needed.

I should note that while I'm interested in DVC, I'm in no way thinking I'm buying into DVC right now. It most certainly would be a future purchase should we decide to continue returning to WDW regularly. This trip will be a bit of a test to see how everyone likes it. I was a Disney kid, used to go almost every year (back in the 80s). So I always enjoy it. I know my 7 yr old will enjoy it, duh. The trick is if my better half enjoys it as much as we do. We're 49 and 50 yrs old, so I think if we can take advantage of some of the more chill and pampering resort aspects that will help. For this first trip, I'm sure we'll be pretty busy. We've vowed to not wear ourselves out though, taking a down day in the middle, and we can always come back!

Thanks for your comments!

Great questions all around.
We normally stay in deluxe resorts, 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom is ideal typically. We wanted to stay in Poly for the first trip for its convenience and spirit. Yes, willing to plan 11 months out. We would be a cash purchase, no financing needed.

I should note that while I'm interested in DVC, I'm in no way thinking I'm buying into DVC right now. It most certainly would be a future purchase should we decide to continue returning to WDW regularly. This trip will be a bit of a test to see how everyone likes it. I was a Disney kid, used to go almost every year (back in the 80s). So I always enjoy it. I know my 7 yr old will enjoy it, duh. The trick is if my better half enjoys it as much as we do. We're 49 and 50 yrs old, so I think if we can take advantage of some of the more chill and pampering resort aspects that will help. For this first trip, I'm sure we'll be pretty busy. We've vowed to not wear ourselves out though, taking a down day in the middle, and we can always come back!

Thanks for your comments!
Sounds like Aulani would be a great place for you; not saying you should buy in there (do your research on ownership there, vs a Florida timeshare), but owning DVC makes it a lot easier to vacation there. It’s an incredible resort with a phenomenal spa. Just in case you need another reason to buy into DVC! And no, I’m not biased at all.😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter