Would my Fort Family forgive me if...

Jimsig

DIS Veteran
Would everyone forgive me if my next Disney trip not only didn't include staying at The Fort but didn't even include WDW but Disneyland?

After 4 trips (3 at The Fort in the Cabins) with my wife and DD to WDW in 5 years we have decided to give SoCal and Disneyland a shot. Started looking at airfare for a possible late summer trip and found that it was the same price to fly from BOS to Cali as it would have been to Florida. We are going the last week of August leading into Labor Day weekend. We arrive Fri night and will spend Tue to Thur at Disneyland staying off property the entire time. We plan on doing the Science Center as I want to see the Space Shuttle Endeavour as I saw it launch on STS-123 in 2008, the the San Diego Zoo, the NHRA Drag Racing Museum and catch preferably a Dodgers game or even an Angels game.

I have checked the DL boards here but was wondering if anybody had any advise on what to see and do out there and even where to stay (we are leaning to the Candy Cane Inn) because as we all know the Camping Board is the best board of all :)

We've been to DL about a dozen times and we always stay at Candy Cane Inn. A friendly, homey little motel; right on the corner of Disney property.
It's easy walking distance, about 5 minutes, but they have a free shuttle as well.
If you're like us you'll walk in the morning and take advantage of the shuttle at the end of the day!

You should try to visit the El Capitan Theatre and Disney Soda Fountain, both on Hollywood Boulevard, across from the Dolby Theatre and Grauman's Chinese Theatre.

A hint for Radiator Springs Racers - there is a single rider line - use it!

Everybody will forgive you. We did worse in February. Stayed a week at All Star Sports and 2 weeks later went to DL. ASSp was OK, but we are heading to the Fort in September. Didn't bother to wait to see if there will be AP resort discounts.

DL is a lot of fun. We only spent 1 day and just did DL, but I really liked it. In some ways, better than MK. We stayed in San Diego and drove up to Anaheim the evening before going to DL. I have several places to recommend in SD if you are heading down the coast.

j

A trip to Disneyland should include a trip to Knotts Berry Farm, about 15 minutes away. They are both amusement parks but unique to themselves. Check out their website.

DL is a lot of fun. We only spent 1 day and just did DL, but I really liked it. In some ways, better than MK. We stayed in San Diego and drove up to Anaheim the evening before going to DL. I have several places to recommend in SD if you are heading down the coast.

j

Anything you have on SD would be great.

Jim,

My DW loves La Jolla with the seals and sea lions on the rocks. It is a fun area to go walking and get some cool pics. Scripts Aquarium is worth an afternoon. Cabrillo National Monument at the tip of Point Loma is definitely worth part of a day(or longer). There is a pretty good interpretive museum. The views of San Diego harbor and the Pacific are amazing and the tidal pools on the Pacific are incredible to go walking. We went whale watching one morning. I thought it would be very "touristy", but fun. We went out on THIS boat and it was great. The girl narrating and directing was a marine biologist and you could tell all the crew was really into the conservation and biology of it all. We saw a half dozen whales and hundreds of dolphins.

Downtown on the Embarcadaro is worth every tacky tourist hour you spend. There are some great restaurants and fun little shops. More great views of San Diego harbor and Coronado. Coronado is neat to drive around, although it is mostly expensive small homes and the Grand Coronado Hotel. USS Midway is an old WWII era aircraft carrier. It is fun to wander around. There are also a large number of retired aircraft on the deck. Most were not aircraft carrier type planes, but some are. Along the harbor front are a few other ocean museums. Star of India, a neat clipper ship and the Maritime Museum. There is a great little area just off the waterfront called the Gas Lamp Quarter. It has a bunch of nice restaurants and shops. It is adjacent to the conference center and an easy walk from the hotels. There are also several harbor cruise tours. They will take you under the Coronado bridge and all along the Navy base on Coronado. When the giant air craft carriers are in, it is amazing to get up close to them. There is also a submarine base near the mouth of the harbor that we went past on one of the harbor cruises.

The San Diego Zoo has a great reputation. I've never been. We considered it on our March trip, but the tickets rival Disney prices, so we spent our money elsewhere.

That's most of the things we did this trip or one a few years ago when I had a conference there. It's a great tourist town. Has a very Midwest feel.

j

I loved the San Diego zoo, but I love animals (duh). It is huge, lots of walking and a full day, plus it’s expensive.

Would everyone forgive me if my next Disney trip not only didn't include staying at The Fort but didn't even include WDW but Disneyland?

giphy.gif

Go see the original Walt theme park, Jimsig. You'll have a blast.

Bama Ed

Dana Point in SD, great restaurants, they had (2) tall mast pirate ships in mock battle, lots of cannon blasts and smoke, great watch

I'm staying with the high rollers at the Grand Floridian in October, so not quite as offensive as your move, but pretty close. I think I'm going to feel badly out of place there.

if in San Diego go to old town. Has great shops
I love old town!!! Also thumbs up to La Jolla beach but the smell is awful. It is a really neat experience but parking is atrocious. The SD zoo is awesome but big. Be ready to walk..... DD lives in SD and goes often
When we went to DL it was quite a shock to our systems. Definitely different. We stayed at the HoJo and liked it but honestly never used the amenities. It is definitely different to walk to the park in the morning. There is also an IHOP across the street from the entrance. There are many great rides that are new and all the favorites( most of them anyway) there are not the que areas are not like WDW and even though we were there in summer, no air conditioning. It wasn’t real hot but still surprising. Your family will love it!!!!

We're right along with you. We head west in 8 days. 2 days in Vegas (Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon West), 5 days in LA (3.5 days at Disneyland and 1.5 days in Hollywood), and then a week in San Diego (I have a conference there - DW will tour with the kids). We are staying at CCI as well.

Of course, we will be at the Fort 3 weeks after we return home from this trip, so... :yay:

We're right along with you. We head west in 8 days. 2 days in Vegas (Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon West), 5 days in LA (3.5 days at Disneyland and 1.5 days in Hollywood), and then a week in San Diego (I have a conference there - DW will tour with the kids). We are staying at CCI as well.

Of course, we will be at the Fort 3 weeks after we return home from this trip, so... :yay:

Will you be there at the same time as us?

If you plan on going to Seaworld or San Diego Zoo then plan on a night or two in San Diego. Driving from Disneyland will take you 1 1/2 to 3 hours depending on traffic each way. Lots to do in San Diego. Beaches, Old Town (Casa De Reyes is excellent, outdoor restaurant and entertainment). Safari Park in Escondido is also well worth a visit.

We love Disneyland, been there dozens of times. Very different experience than WDW. Park hopping at DLR is a must for us. The two parks are 5 minute walk apart as is Downtown Disney. Nice to be able to spend part of the day in one park, eat in DTD then head to the other park even if just for the night shows. Get the most out of your stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!