Would Disney losing its special district affect runDisney?

SheHulk

off to the (runDisney) races
I DO NOT want to start a discussion of whether Disney should or should not lose the Reedy Creek Improvement District, BUT, given that this is in the news, could this impact runDisney's ability to put on races and have total control of roads/transportation/etc? Or is all that property still owned by Disney and so they can shut down roads as they wish, no matter what?

I know I will regret posting this the minute I do. Again, just want an answer to the question, not a political discussion. If you haven't seen the news about it,

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...-creek-improvement-district-passes-fl-senate/

I think that all the roads and such on Disney property are privately owned by Disney not RCID, so I don’t think that would impact it. It could impact things like ambulance or fire support I would think for medical emergencies though. But I’m no lawyer so I’m just blabbing.

If the dang thin-skinned Governor and the Ultra-woke Disney execs could just...
(kidding. I'm with you. Incredibly sick of the politics, and was also wondering if it would shift services burden, tax burden, autonomy of the infrastructure, etc.)

The vast majority of the roads on property, and pretty much any guests drive on outside of the parking lot, are not private. They are public throughways governed by the same laws as any other road. The same uniform vehicle code applies to them.

Disney losing the special district, which I think has very little chance of happening, would complicate races because they would likely have to deal with government entities but that depends on exacrmrly what happens to RCID in that unlikely scenario. It may not be the same type of district but the property is still surrounded by Disney, not a municipality like Anaheim.

Bottom line, I'm not worried at this point about any big changes.

Lack of maintenance of roadways could lead to potholes or other unfavorable conditions

Also If orange & Osceola don’t have the sufficient police/medical teams to deploy to these events than there is a fair chance that springtime surprise 2023 could sadly be RunDisneys swan song

Not trying to think about worse case sinarios

I DO NOT want to start a discussion of whether Disney should or should not lose the Reedy Creek Improvement District, BUT, given that this is in the news, could this impact runDisney's ability to put on races and have total control of roads/transportation/etc? Or is all that property still owned by Disney and so they can shut down roads as they wish, no matter what?

I know I will regret posting this the minute I do. Again, just want an answer to the question, not a political discussion. If you haven't seen the news about it,

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...-creek-improvement-district-passes-fl-senate/
No. Rundisney already uses police from surrounding counties and FHP to staff the courses, and same with local health stuff. Orange County already provides police for the parks and to monitor the roads during normal times - Disney does not have its own police force. RCID fire is also already supported by the surrounding counties fire teams. If they would be required to get a new race permit for road closures, it would be no different then the races run elsewhere, like the OUC 1/2 marathon or Best Damn Race, which closes roads (and these are much more significant roads than those within WDW. FYI - a number of roads within WDW are already county or state roads - not owned / operated by RCID / WDW. a portion of I-4 falls within RCID boundaries too. Don't waste your time listening to all the talking heads on social media and the news - they have no actual idea how this thing operates or what the real ramifications would be if it went away. Until you hear something actually come out of Disney, or even Orange County for that matter, it is silly speculation.

There's WAY more left to play out in this situation. I see very little likelihood of anything meaningful coming out of this. It's all political theatre.
ahh.. yeah, i just read headlines so i assumed it was done deal. im not smurt enough for politics. whatever happens though i hope cooler heads prevail

Just like I am an expert in Virology, Eastern European politics, I am an expert in Florida law. Apparently the state government can't actually do what this law says. It is just all political grandstanding and nothing more. It will be shot done fairly quickly. Plus I am sure orange county really doesn't want the $1,000,000,000 debt that they would have to assume.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter