Worried about OKW or SS....what to do?

We also enjoyed our stay at SSR in the Grandstand area. We were very close to the bus and others said, since it's the first stop in SSR you won't need to fight for a seat. We also liked the quiet pool. I know you mentioned being close to the main pool but the quiet pool was nice...loved that there was a bar & refill station for refillable mugs. The main building & boat to downtown were not far either.

You cant go wrong with either resort IMO. The walk to main area of both resorts isnt that far IMO. I like the layouts of studios at SSR better, but the 1 and 2 beds at OKW are bigger, so I would use that as a guide for our family. We love both resorts, and the amenities they offer. SSR food options get the nod, esp. for quick service. But Olivias is a top notch TS also. So depends on if that is an issue or not.

Really dont think either way you will lose, sort of a win win :-)

Thanks for the help~ so, would you all do it? I now know what to ask for but if we don't get our requests...?

Why am I making it big? I have never stayed at either resort, so am asking a few questions. These are the only 2 DVC resorts we are unfamiliar with and I am trying to make a good choice for our family. On our last trip we tried 2 nights at Coronado. We had a building close to the main lobby but it was quite a hike to the pool. Since that is the only resort we have stayed at that seems to be that spread out, I am trying to see if its possible to avoid something like that again.

I don't know why you have made it so big, but I felt the same way as Bill. Quote above is one example. You very well may not get your requests. These are popular requests and not everyone will get them, I agree with Dean. Given your "worries" (your word), I would rent a car.
Good Luck

We stayed at OKW and enjoyed it. Stayed in a villa right over the bridge from HH. I did not think the resort was that big. And we were there in August.

We are trying SSR this year and we will be there in August with DSs 22, 18 and 16. Pools look great, QS looks good, and food by Paddocks Pool. My son is a basketball player and there court looks nice. There is also a billiards table in the main building by AS. Plus, we love the idea of a walk or quick boat ride to DS.

Good luck with your choice and vacation.

On our last trip we tried 2 nights at Coronado. We had a building close to the main lobby but it was quite a hike to the pool. Since that is the only resort we have stayed at that seems to be that spread out, I am trying to see if its possible to avoid something like that again.

If CSR is too big for your family, I think SSR or OKW could both be a big disappointment. The walks to the main areas could be further than you experienced at CSR. Both resorts do have the option of taking a bus to the main area. Busses come pretty frequently, so this is a pretty good option if you really don't want to rent a car.

I really enjoy both of these resorts. I would give an edge to OKW for theming. OKW has a great small town/tropical paradise vibe. SSR has more of a spa getaway feel, though it has some small town charm too. I also prefer Olivia's over the Turf Club, but both are good. The CS at SSR is definitely better though. Beyond the main pool at OKW, which is great, the rest of the pools are nice but nothing to write home about. SSR has two feature pools, both of which are really nice.

And just a word of warning here....if you are looking to book at OKW Near Hospitality House....

I booked a Studio with that room category back in October for our single night stay last Friday, and did the online check-in. However, when I received my room-ready text I was not assigned a room anywhere near the Hospitality House. I brought up my reservation on MDE and saw that I now had 2 separate reservations and could see that they had rebooked me into an HA room. When I went to the Front Desk, the CM said there were no Studios Near Hospitality House available, so I was rebooked into a different category. Needless to say, I was not OK with this. Like the OP, I very much wanted to be close to the pool, restaurants, and boat dock with my 3 teen boys- and definitely not an HA room. :confused3

After much time and deliberation, I was finally provided with a Studio Near HH. Why was I allowed to book a room category if it was not available? It's not like it was a "Room Request" - it was a booking category on the DVC Member website. Granted, the number of points was the same for both rooms - but I booked a specific room category for a reason, and had I known it was not guaranteed, I may have booked at SSR.:headache:

Thanks for all of the help. I am still keeping an eye on availability everywhere. We have most of our trip secured but not the first night ( or 2, if we and up dropping BL in favor of having a 2 night stay someplace else.)
Coronado - or similar- would not feel too big if there wasn't a strong potential for downpours. On our last August trip we were continuously soaked just running 100 yards! Also, it would be great to feel like the kids could get from pool to food etc on their own easily...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter