WOOKIEBEAR , MOM AND DAD TAKE THE KIDS ON A BIG ADVENTURE

Monday morning and the kids had us up with the butt crack of dawn. After seeing to them and coffee for mom and dad I dumped the tanks drew in the slides disconnected the water and electric raised the levelers and at 7:50 am we were pulling out of LD and headed for home. Our general plan was to retrace our route down on the way home. WookieBear took her spot and the KIDS laid down in the aisle between Lucille and I. They seemed much more at ease in this one than the old one but that could just have been from being in it for a few days now. Traffic was light and outside of some minor roadwork in I 10 we moved along without incident till Jacksonville. As we approached the I 295 cut off I misread the sign and ended up having to stay on 10 and pick up 95 direct not a biggie but a minor inconvenience and a learning experience.
The Georgia Welcome center was a good place to stop both for Mom and Dad and the kids. WookieBear and Katie had no problem with what they were here for and Sky was better as long as we stayed away from the big rigs. At least she wasn't trying to run away. We were now just over 2 hours from Camp Lake Jasper and fuels status looked good but we both felt like the cockpit AC as long as the vents were pointed at us did okay but Lucille noticed that the top of WookieBears head was wet and there was a steady drip from the hidden vent under the dash. It is directly behind the compressor and in that heat with just the cockpit AC running it was more than the system could handle ( One of the Techs where we go for service has since advised me that in future if heat is that bad run the gennie to power the cabin air and it stay cooler and improve mileage. Works for heat too. Reminder to self file this away for future reference) We pulled into CLJ at about 3:30 pm We had the site next to where we had been on the way down only real difference today there was a light rain falling

Resized_20171017_162111002_2306.jpg
Linen closet
Resized_20171017_162100001_1502.jpg
Nice full sized shower
Resized_20171017_162022001_1207.jpg
Porcelain potty with electronic flush system
Resized_20171017_162019001_2335.jpg
Sink cabinet over is huge but a corner model that we need a serious step stool for Resized_20171017_162011001_789.jpg ]
Combo washer dryer Hint towels on the counter are for the dogs if they get a bath or rained on

Last edited:

Tuesday and like always the Kids had us up early. Lucille's knee was acting up so it fell to me to take them all out. Sky and WookieBear are easier to deal with so they went first. Once again Sky was more interested in Chasing chickens and WookieBear didn't bother waiting for the Bark park happily I carry a load of collection bags in my pocket when we go somewhere with them. The night before Katie had pushed my patience to the limit and this morning she was much better behaved ( Daddy upset with her is not something she likes) Lucille and I finished our coffee I did our disconnects and were on the road at 8 am. First priority was fuel There is a Pilot Flying j in St Georges SC that I had planned on getting fuel at Some how I convinced it was at EXIT 66 but I was wrong and fuel gauge was in the red so there was a station offering at good price so we pulled in and got 15 gal to get us to next P/FJ Turned out to be EXIT 77 The fueling port on the rear wall of this is definitely going to take some getting used to Much easier to know where I need to be when pumps are on the drivers side. I have written down the phone numbers of the places we plan on using for Disney this year and will call them to find out if they have dedicated RV lanes. Once fueled up we were back on the road and on our way. As we neared the SC-NC border we debated stopping at South of The Border My friend Willie had asked for some fireworks if we stopped and another friend used to tell the story of going to Grandma's in Florida as a kid and he and his sister being forced to wear the Sombrero's they JUST HAD TO HAVE Unfortunately the weather wasn't cooperating and we decided it wasn't worth getting soaked for so we pushed on. We did stop at a rest area to stretch our legs and let the Girls do the same Again sky seemed a little better as long as we stayed away fro the trucks. We pulled into Carolina Crossroads a little after 4 and off to the dog parks we went . After we came back I hooked us all up and extended the slides as well as broke out our little grill. The kids got fed and I went about grilling some Lamb chops for us. Once again after we ate we were off to the dog park and I had to laugh. The woman who checked us didn't remember me but she is a full time resident there and has the site next to the dog park, She was out doing somethings and recognized the GIRLS straight away. We watched a little TV and I had Lucille do a laundry for the grey tank and we both took showers before turning in.

Mike, first I think we have the same washer/dryer combo or at least it is very similar. Yes I totally understand no one recognizing you but certainly the kids. Happens to us all the time.

Loving the TR and the new MH. One camping trip we had a couple yell out "hey Bailey" every time we seen them.

Loving the TR and the new MH. One camping trip we had a couple yell out "hey Bailey" every time we seen them.
I am right there with you Denise I can't think of more than 1 trip were some young kid weren't asking if we could bring Wookie and Maggie out to play with them. A few years ago at Disney they met some sisters in our loop and once they did that was were they wanted to go for walks. Unfortunately that family left before we did so when we went by an empty site The GIRLS stood there looked at it Looked at me Looked at the site again Then barked their displeasure at me to get them back

Mike, first I think we have the same washer/dryer combo or at least it is very similar. Yes I totally understand no one recognizing you but certainly the kids. Happens to us all the time.
Kris I went and checked it is model 2100 XC

I had to look through all my pics as I knew I had one with the model and yep I got the same one.

I tend to wash bedding and towels at the fort washers, they just hold more. Washer is great when it's summer time and it's t shirts and shorts.

I had to look through all my pics as I knew I had one with the model and yep I got the same one.

I tend to wash bedding and towels at the fort washers, they just hold more. Washer is great when it's summer time and it's t shirts and shorts.
Not too good for larger loads but for a white one of socks tees and under-roos or a colored of 2 to 3 pair of jeans 3 to 4 shirts it is fine we throw in a clean dry dog towel when we run dryer helps make it happen faster Lucille will do the sheets but not blankets they get done at home

Wed morning and like normal the kids had us up at the butt crack of dawn. WookieBear and Katie each went soon after they were outside but Miss Dainty needed the freedom of the dog park. Mom and dad had their coffee and put what needed to get put away where we keep it. I dumped the tanks and hooked my utility hose to the internal sprayer for the Black water and one last time we went to the dog park. Disconnected all hoses and had Lucille retract the slides once that was done I secured the shore line did one last walk around ad retracted the auto levelers and at 9:45 we were on our way. Virginia is only 10 miles way on 95 and we normally hit the PFJ at exit 11 but with more than half a tank I decided to push it to the one just above Richmond. Kings Dominion is located at the exit before it so I had good landmark to check for. At exit 104 we found the PFJ and topped her off Hint they have a dedicated RV lane (Gas and Diesel )but we never saw it till we were done and pulling out.
I for some reason tend to have a problem with the DC by pass on 95. Until now I saw signs for all the little off shoots ie 295 and 395 but today I had never seen one for 495 but there it was for BMore via 95/495 . I had plugged in the address for a Holiday Inn out side of ANDREWS AFB into the GPS but the built in is a Garmin and I am not a fan of Garmin. Happily we had no problems and were soon on our way to the Bay Bridge and home. Traffic around Anacostia Va tends to be backed up but it was clear sailing today. After crossing the bridge we know we are within an hour of home. All went well till I crossed into Delaware the road I need to take to get me to our road narrows on our side of the border so for the first time all trip I hit the rumble strip but better that than put a wheel into the dirt ( I couldn't see either lane marker in my mirrors and a friend who drives trucks on that road daily says it happens to him as a matter of course ) Happily we are only 6 miles from home so it was all good. At 4:25 we pulled in to our driveway. The Girls got unloaded and sent to the Backyard while mom and I finished parking and went inside gather up the cats so the girls could come in. This took a while as Chester decided to go into Hide and go seek mode then once we found him he didn't want to leave our sides

Final Thoughts/ Lessons Learned.
Doing our trip over 3 days is just about right as I see it. Lucille feels adding a day to travel would be easier. She is very concerned we won't arrive at a destination until after 4:30 and it will be getting or be dark. She is also believes that while Katie is getting better at traveling, Sky has a long way to go and for her 6 hours on the road is about as long as she can handle. While I see some of what she is talking about I am not thrilled with adding another day behind the wheel and setting up and breaking down. I say since the kids have us up anyway we might be better off getting in gear earlier and hitting the road before 8 am. The idea of passing on places we know are winners and finding places that meet our basic needs is something I will look into but not HAPPY about.
We will definitely do the LASAGNA routine again during our Dec. trip. Having them separated into individual sized servings was a winner. Just pop on a plate 4 min in the Micro and dinner is done. We both enjoy Pepperidge Farm GARLIC BREAD so will likely add that to the menu . Also looking into getting a Gift Card for Cracker Barrel to have a good excuse to stop for a serious Breakfast
Fuel is going to be a concern. With the gas cap on the back of the coach I would prefer to hit places that have a dedicated RV lane and not block travel lanes at the places we stop at I also need to remind myself to keep the pump on my left for ease of access and having the hose reach. Some additional research is needed in this area but I have gathered the phone numbers for the various stations we know work well for us so i see some phone calls in my Future

FT/LL continued
For those travel the I-95 corridor both Camp Lake Jasper and Carolina Crossroads are super nice campgrounds Both ar super close to I-95 Neither has a much shade and CLJ has dirt/sand pads where we were. The pool bath house and laundry were all very clean maybe on the way back in Jan if weather is good we may stay a second night and check out the grounds some more . The invading hoard of chickens I have to admit was a poor substitute for local wildlife and the few members of the local chapter of the NSS I saw were more tail than anything else, maybe the reported alligator got the rest . The camp store had very little to offer outside of a high end pressure regulator that they recommend. They do let you know that unregulated the water at the feed is at 70 lbs, they recommend using a regulator that you can adjust over a simple one The woman who works there and the front desk is super nice and very friendly CLJ is Located at Exit 8 in Hardeeville SC about 8 miles north of the Georgia line and just a hop skip and a jump from I 95
Carolina Crossroads is located at Exit 171 in NC about 12 miles south of the VA border. There are some rental units and a few rental cabins available Most sites are gravel pads but there are 15 with concrete pads and these are the closest to the Dog Park, Office, Store, Bath houses and the heated and open year round pool. Site 8 has a nice little Gazebo on it The grounds are clean with daily trash pick up Staff is super friendly and from my experience more than happy to help with any any problem you may have The common access buildings are all clean and well maintained

FT/LL Continued
Lazy Days was a great stay. Conditions on the Delivery Lot were very primitive. There was an electrical hook up at each site but water was a single hose for those occupying sites on either side of the dividing strip to fill the on board fresh water tanks. The coupons (Max value $6.50 per meal per person) they provide for the OPEN ROAD CAFE special at breakfast and lunch during our stay was a nice touch. The dog park here was split with one side for little dogs and another for bigger ones on either side of a communal bathroom bldg (No Shower) The Main Bldg had a super nice waiting lounge for those getting their units serviced and is Dog FRIENDLY with the the exception of the OPEN ROAD CAFE. As our water pump had died they did grant us access to the showers in the CROWN CLUB CLUBHOUSE , very nice in there.
The Campground is across the street. At the check in desk is also where you can rent a Golf Cart at like $45 per day. Trees are sparse through most of the CG but down in the 200 area where the Dog Park here is located there was at least one nice tree between each site. We did find our site a little tight depth wise but we had plenty of room between sites
There is a nice pool that is enclosed by screens I did check it out visually and if we had our suits and more time I would have tried it out. The EXIT 10 Cafe is on the other side of the pool and Lucille didn't notice any chlorine smell when we ate there. This cafe is uniquely themed as the booths in the elevated back wall are recessed to look as if they are in slideouts for a Class A and there is a Drivers cockpit at the wall to the Kitchen and kids are allowed to get in and play . They advertise a dog obstacle course but it was very small and not fenced in at the top of the entrance parking lot so not something we would dare risk ours at. We have a ressie for 3 nights in Dec just before we check into Disney ( I made that ressie months ago thinking we would shop for a new one and according to Good Sam it is 61.2 miles Or 1hr and 6 min from Disney. Now instead we will have them take care of the small issues we have found and attend some of the seminars and RV driving course they offer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts