Wonder servers - that bad??

Our server on the Wonder was incredibly skilled and very professional. He's been with DCL since the Magic's inaugural year. He was not super outgoing though.

Our assistant server was young and incredibly outgoing and friendly. He loved talking to everyone and hearing about our days and plans. He was good at his job but not the model of efficiency that our server was.

Either would have been fine, but they are a mismatch as a pair. You could tell that the server wanted to just move service along and the assistant server wanted everyone to feel welcomed and known. We still had very good service but I felt bad for both because they could have both been better if they had been paired with someone else.

I'm not asking for recommendations of names as I am happy with my requests I have in and don't want to throw another kink in the chain there, but...

I'm getting increasingly concerned about reports of so-so servers on the Wonder. I am a solo adult, so I don't need tricks and to be entertained, but I am gluten-free so I do need someone attentive to that.

I try to take things with a grain of salt - someone's experience with DCL, with other cruise lines, past reviews, etc. (like if someone comes off as just bored with DCL - I'm not just talking on these boards, but on other media including podcasts - I definitely take that into consideration when hearing/reading reviews) - but increasingly I'm seeing people having issues with servers on the Wonder.

At this point I *could* change back to the Fantasy, but a) it's Star Wars and I'm NOT a fan; and b) it's around $500 more and since I've got a RCCL Greek Isles cruise with a friend AND a trip to Paris for Gay Games next summer, I could use that money elsewhere. But if the situation is really that bad with servers on the Wonder, I'm willing to consider it.
I've been on 6 DCL cruises. If I ranked our servers from top to bottom I would rank the servers from our 2 Wonder cruises 5th and 6th. Therefore, I think you are right, you should forgo your Wonder cruise and spend your money elsewhere.

MUN

4 times on the Wonder and I've always had great service. It's my favorite ship. I've had servers I didn't like on the Magic. Others have had great service on the Magic. It certainly won't stop me from going back on the Magic. Your can have great or bad service on any cruise. I don't think I would base my decision on that. I'm sure at some point your going to want to try the Wonder. If you like the itinerary and the price I would stick with it. I've never walked off a Disney ship disappointed. I think the Wonder will live up to what you've come to expect from DCL.

We have been on the Wonder 8 times.Every serving team was unique but all were excellent. We were also on the 2015 WBPC and not only did we not experience any difficulties with the crew but, tablemate had a shrimp allergy that was carefully attended to. I guess like everything else,it is subjective.

We had great service. Although a couple times DD2's meal did come out late. She however mostly ate our food anyways.

Servers on the Wonder were ok, for us it was the stateroom hostess that was the worst. First time on DCL where I could write my name in the dust on the shelves...

We were on the Wonder in April/May. Our tablemates had both gluten and dairy allergies. I was amazed at how well our servers handled their allergies. They did an impressive job. My tablemates expressed that they were very pleased.

I look at it this way. We've never been disappointed with any DCL servers. We are Platinum cruisers. I think some people are just too hard to please. Some set their expectations way too high. As long as I am served in a reasonable amount of time and have some interaction with them then they have done their job perfectly.

Have been on the Wonder once. Servers were just as good as the other 3 cruises on 2 other DCL ships, and better than our servers on RCL. its a coin toss unless you know or have a recommendation from someone you trust.

I look at it this way. We've never been disappointed with any DCL servers. We are Platinum cruisers. I think some people are just too hard to please. Some set their expectations way too high. As long as I am served in a reasonable amount of time and have some interaction with them then they have done their job perfectly.
As a platinum cruiser this is pretty much how I feel. There's been a few servers I didn't connect with, others I absolutely loved, and then everything in between. I can't say I've ever been disappointed. If service is slow which it sometimes is I just look at it a excuse to drink more wine. I'm on vacation so it's all good.

We are going on the Wonder for the second time at the end of next month and I really hope we have some great servers. Our first time around we were very underwhelmed by our entire serving team as well as the server we had in Palo. Saw our room host maybe once? In comparison this past January on the Fantasy all 3 servers, our room host and our Palo server (we had brunch and dinner with him) were phenomenal!!!! Finally, we thought, we've experienced the amazing service others have bragged about on Disney cruises. So yeah, my expectations are rather high for August (I don't mean to sound rude/snobby, etc - but lets just say if we receive the same ho-hum service we did the first time on the Wonder, those tips be goin' down boy! Not up like they did on the Fantasy)

As a general rule i find that the servers are more stretched and thin than when i first cruised DCL. As a result, some of the personalized service has gone away.

After eight cruises on three of the DCL ships we have, in general, had good service from all stateroom and MDR staff. The thing I hate beyond anything else is when, on the second night or a week-long cruise, one of the wait staff will ask as we are leaving if everything was "excellent." The next night the word comes up a bit earlier in the meal and so on until the last night, when we get our DCL survey/comment form, it is most emphatically mentioned several times...almost begging for the highest rating for their service. I know it means a lot in their evaluation, but I hate this pressure.

After eight cruises on three of the DCL ships we have, in general, had good service from all stateroom and MDR staff. The thing I hate beyond anything else is when, on the second night or a week-long cruise, one of the wait staff will ask as we are leaving if everything was "excellent." The next night the word comes up a bit earlier in the meal and so on until the last night, when we get our DCL survey/comment form, it is most emphatically mentioned several times...almost begging for the highest rating for their service. I know it means a lot in their evaluation, but I hate this pressure.

Oh yeah, the oldest sales trick in the book of "planting the seed". The cringiest part is when the head waiter does it, which i believe is his only job.

I have found on pretty much any cruise if on the first night I say politely "I understand about the survey and the importance of ratings. If I have a problem, I will let you know. If I do not mention a problem, things are fine and you can expect the higher rating. Reminding me of this every night will make things not fine." that generally works.

On my first RCCL cruise, about midway through they started in again and when the head server gave the spiel and asked if there were any issues, I politely said "Things are fine, but I am aware of the survey and rating as I mentioned earlier this week. Bringing it up again is a problem."

(I do have an advantage in that I have a sister who works on a ship (yes, DCL - no, not in a tipped position) and I understand how the survey and ratings work, and once I explain it, that usually helps as well. At least it did on my Brilliance cruise (2nd RCCL). On DCL it is generally easier as people get us confused a lot. Lol.)

More and more departments are starting to move CMs ships after two or more contracts on one ship. If dining go with this they'll be a lot less ship specific server issues.... I can see it become a thing by the time the new ships are around.

The questions is, why the discontent with the servers on one ship? When we see this in other areas of industry, we look to the management. Perhaps that is where changes need to be made here as well.

I'm not asking for recommendations of names as I am happy with my requests I have in and don't want to throw another kink in the chain there, but...

I'm getting increasingly concerned about reports of so-so servers on the Wonder. I am a solo adult, so I don't need tricks and to be entertained, but I am gluten-free so I do need someone attentive to that.

I try to take things with a grain of salt - someone's experience with DCL, with other cruise lines, past reviews, etc. (like if someone comes off as just bored with DCL - I'm not just talking on these boards, but on other media including podcasts - I definitely take that into consideration when hearing/reading reviews) - but increasingly I'm seeing people having issues with servers on the Wonder.

At this point I *could* change back to the Fantasy, but a) it's Star Wars and I'm NOT a fan; and b) it's around $500 more and since I've got a RCCL Greek Isles cruise with a friend AND a trip to Paris for Gay Games next summer, I could use that money elsewhere. But if the situation is really that bad with servers on the Wonder, I'm willing to consider it.
Maybe we have just been very lucky, but the servers on the Wonder are excellent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter