Wonder servers - that bad??

Dug720

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
I'm not asking for recommendations of names as I am happy with my requests I have in and don't want to throw another kink in the chain there, but...

I'm getting increasingly concerned about reports of so-so servers on the Wonder. I am a solo adult, so I don't need tricks and to be entertained, but I am gluten-free so I do need someone attentive to that.

I try to take things with a grain of salt - someone's experience with DCL, with other cruise lines, past reviews, etc. (like if someone comes off as just bored with DCL - I'm not just talking on these boards, but on other media including podcasts - I definitely take that into consideration when hearing/reading reviews) - but increasingly I'm seeing people having issues with servers on the Wonder.

At this point I *could* change back to the Fantasy, but a) it's Star Wars and I'm NOT a fan; and b) it's around $500 more and since I've got a RCCL Greek Isles cruise with a friend AND a trip to Paris for Gay Games next summer, I could use that money elsewhere. But if the situation is really that bad with servers on the Wonder, I'm willing to consider it.

I'm not asking for recommendations of names as I am happy with my requests I have in and don't want to throw another kink in the chain there, but...

I'm getting increasingly concerned about reports of so-so servers on the Wonder. I am a solo adult, so I don't need tricks and to be entertained, but I am gluten-free so I do need someone attentive to that.

I try to take things with a grain of salt - someone's experience with DCL, with other cruise lines, past reviews, etc. (like if someone comes off as just bored with DCL - I'm not just talking on these boards, but on other media including podcasts - I definitely take that into consideration when hearing/reading reviews) - but increasingly I'm seeing people having issues with servers on the Wonder.

At this point I *could* change back to the Fantasy, but a) it's Star Wars and I'm NOT a fan; and b) it's around $500 more and since I've got a RCCL Greek Isles cruise with a friend AND a trip to Paris for Gay Games next summer, I could use that money elsewhere. But if the situation is really that bad with servers on the Wonder, I'm willing to consider it.

FWIW, I had the best serving team out of any of my cruises in March on the Wonder. They blew me away with the quality of service, and it wasn't about tricks or entertainment.

Have sailed the Wonder twice, both times the servers were outstanding. Just my experience.

Our best serving team to date was on the Wonder last year in Alaska. They were phenomenal. They weren't entertainers or anything - even with a kid, that's not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for someone who provides excellent service, gets to know me and my tastes and is there when we need them and out of the way when we don't.

I don't think the servers are 'that' bad. We've only been on 1 cruise, Wonder, last August. We had Hernan (Chile) for our server, Olena (Ukraine) for our assistant, Rakesh (Trinidad and Tobago) was the head server. (I've seen Hernan mentioned with a different asst. server in the past couple of months.) We liked our team, they did magic tricks/origami and cut up DD12's salad. The head server came by daily to see how we were all doing (inevitably right after my girls had headed off to a restroom, which was kind of a running gag by the end of the trip). There was just 1 night that they seemed super busy that we felt a little neglected (to the point that my water glass was empty and the head server was helping out at the tables--I think he ended up refilling my glass.) Maybe they were short staffed that night. Anyways, it was just 1 night in the middle of the trip that was off. We are very undemanding people, and understand that there can be days like that.

I loved the server we had at the character breakfast, Felipe (Peru). DD16 was feeling seasick, he noticed, got her some green apple, told us to take it back to the room with us, etc. We saw Felipe the next day at Cabanas at lunchtime and he recognized DD16 and asked how she was doing.

Thank you all! I feel reassured!!

Like I said, I think some of what I've seen or heard has been from people who are maybe a little jaded now. It's reassuring to see so many good reports.

:)

We've been totally happy with our servers on two Wonder cruises (this year to Alaska, 2014 to the Bahamas). Totally agree with @anricat above.

Out of three Disney Cruises (2 on the Dream, 1 on the Wonder), our favorite servers in the MDR where those on the Wonder (Joseph and Jack). They were great and very attentive.

My husband is allergic to coconut and they did not forget about it for one second.

Also had the best team on our recent Wonder sailing! We have lots of food allergies (and preferences) as a family, and that was taken care of very, very well!
(Excellent! :rotfl:)

I think it's luck of the draw. Out of our 4 DCL cruises our best we're on the Dream. Our 2 cruises on the Fantasy were excellent as well but not quite as good as on the Dream. Our worst servers of all our cruises including 3 on the Carnival Vista were on the Wonder. They were very inattentive and short. Overall I was very disappointed in almost all the CM's on the Wonder with the exception of the entertainment staff and Noreen, our cabin attendant. She was simply amazing and one of the sweetest people of I've met in my life. I wanted to adopt her so bad.

We were on the Wonder in March this year and we were perfectly happy with our serving team. I have an orange allergy (I know, weird) and he was very diligent (probably more than I am) about ensuring I was safe. I had ordered a fried cheese appetizer and he found out the coating for the cheese had some orange peel in it. He brought me every other appetizer on the menu to make up for it and i was thrilled! However, 2 other couples at our table were very unhappy with our servers and had tips removed and ate in Palo the remainder of the cruise. Interesting that different people at the same table had such different experiences. If it helps, the other parties were more displeased with the pace of the meals rather than allergy or gluten issues.

We were on the Wonder in March this year and we were perfectly happy with our serving team. I have an orange allergy (I know, weird) and he was very diligent (probably more than I am) about ensuring I was safe. I had ordered a fried cheese appetizer and he found out the coating for the cheese had some orange peel in it. He brought me every other appetizer on the menu to make up for it and i was thrilled! However, 2 other couples at our table were very unhappy with our servers and had tips removed and ate in Palo the remainder of the cruise. Interesting that different people at the same table had such different experiences. If it helps, the other parties were more displeased with the pace of the meals rather than allergy or gluten issues.

Thank you!

DH has celiac and our Wonder server 7-ish months ago was very efficient in that regards. No magic tricks, not particularly extroverted and social (took a bit to get him to converse), made no attempt to entertain the kids (which really was fine for mine, tbh), but VERY on top of the gluten issue. One night there was no gf-labeled dessert, so he took care of that and procured something else off-menu. Another night my mom ordered the same entree as DH and said she wouldn't be able to eat all of it and would share some of hers with him, and our server jumped in, "No, no, you can't do that! Even if it's the same entree, his will be prepared in a separate location to ensure it's safe." Honestly, we really didn't need assistance from the head, b/c he was in complete control.

In Cabanas, if you see someone from Bulgaria, weight-lifter build - grab him for help on the buffet line. Spacing on his name, but he was super helpful to DH. Whenever he saw us walk in, he would come right over specifically to help DH; he seemed to be there nearly every time we were. I suspect they had an instant kinship b/c DH also lifts weights and eats a protein-heavy diet. :)

Was on the Wonder in Feb & May of this year. Traveled with adults both times & we were well cared for. In May traveled with a family member with a food allergy & our serving team was very attentive to her needs.

I've been specifically watching threads regarding food allergies for 3 years on these boards and from what I have gathered (in my own unscientific research) is that the Wonder appeared to have a serious rough patch in Winter/Spring 2015. That was when we sailed and had a horrible, horrible experience with dining. It seemed like the other 3 ships were meeting their marks and allergies were accommodated the way Disney has a reputation of doing. I would say, I have not seen any current/recent Wonder complaints the past 6-8 months. I am pretty sure that our cruise (WBPC 2015) there was a HUGE cast turn over and the "problem causers" have not popped up or returned.

I would feel okay sailing on any of the DCL ships at this point...but 1 1/2 years ago...NO WAY would I sail on the Wonder with food allergies.

We've found the Wonder servers generally slightly below average, but our last Wonder cruise was awful. Worst of all was our first cruise during the Fantasy's inaugural sailings. Best overall staff has been Magic-by far

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter