Woman files complaint against Universal Orlando Resort saying she was fat-shamed by staff

Sounds like she wanted fewer people in her row. If 6 people fit as a tight squeeze, that's what they're going to do. If they legit couldn't fit, I'm sure they would have reassessed the row and had them wait for the next truck.

As someone who has lost a bunch of weight, I never got the idea that someone is "fat shaming" you. People can look at you and see you're obese. If you're "differently proportioned" and there are test seats, that's an indication that you should give them a try ahead of time.

It basically sounds like she didn't want as many people in her row, and the TMs told her (rightly) that the row needed to be full. That's not fat shaming. And she wants obese people to be a protected class. I won't even comment on that :rolleyes:

I read that she was afraid the people who would be seated next to her would be uncomfortable, and that’s why she wanted the row just for her and her family. No one but her brought up her size.

The issue I have with this is if she felt she was fat shamed at Universal, why did she take it public? I feel someone is looking for their 15 minutes of fame and a bigger payout.

I’m sorry but you cannot expect everyone to accommodate guests of every size. I’m curious just how big she is? I have yet to see a picture. Years ago (1999) I embarrassingly had to walk off the swings at Knotts Berry Farm because my hips/thighs/butt were too big to fit. The same thing happened at Gilroy Gardens in 2002(or 3). I cried from embarrassment as other people laughed and pointed but moved on. Oh, I wasn’t that big either. A size 16 and 210 pounds. It’s not the amusement parks fault that the guest is obese.

I’m sorry but you cannot expect everyone to accommodate guests of every size. I’m curious just how big she is? I have yet to see a picture.

I clicked through to another article from the original one and there was a video. From the still image (I didn’t watch the video) she doesn’t even look that big.

I get wanting to be comfy, and wanting others to be. When I was bigger and so was my STBX we were squashed with a similar size couple on small world, with *no one else on the boat*. The seater cm wouldn’t let us switch. It was the most bizarre thing. (I can’t remember if we all just stayed out or if someone moved but the cm wasn’t verbally allowing us to move even after we said we weren’t all together)

But if there hadn’t been room then we couldn’t have sat there.

IMO she should have just let the chips fall where they may. The seating TM probably wouldn’t have squashed her and two kids in with too many people.

She sounds like the kind of woman that would make sure her family of 5 gets on the boat first, spreads them out over 3 benches - then complains when they are asked to accommodate additional passengers in "their" rows.

Hope she sticks to Disney from here on out.

I thought the practice to cram people into the bench seats on every ride at every park (WDW included) was the norm. I've often sat on the safaris at AK and couldn't sit all the way back in my seat because so many people were jammed in. Same thing on Pirates and Jungle Cruise. I'm happy to have a sliver of a seat.

Yeah, and don't even get me on airline seats or any other place, were people have to sit very close. While it may be embarrassing for some, and uncomfortable for others, people do come in all sizes in cramped seats/places, and most deal with that without having to make a huge fuss, and litigate. Wanting my family to be the only ones in a bench, where, if seated more closely, would make more room for others, is just selfish, and rude.

I think Universal was being overly generous, and am glad to see they went beyond being trying to make it right.

Definitely not seeing the fat shaming.

If it was "I don't want to make anyone else uncomfortable because of how large I am" she was fat shaming herself. If other people are uncomfortable because of your size, that's their issue, not yours.

If it was she was too big for the restraints on the ride, then it is a safety issue for her and the other passengers and Universal did the right thing.

I'm a larger person. I often get "fat shamed" ... but it only sounds like a wake up call, that I need to take things into my own hands, and even if health issues prevent me from exercising or going to the gym (not due to weight, but due to illness) I try to work on myself ... sure it's partly in the brain (and for those who call on psychological problems ... that's what shrinks get paid for) ... and if I fail, I know I'm the one that's oversize.

after all, does a dwarf sue a theme park because they don't meet the height requirement for a ride ?
And, still, height is nothing a dwarf can do about. A larger person can always work on themselves and lose weight. There is always a way. If people think they can't and resign. It's on them ... like it's on me. And I''m aware of that.

If people accepted who they are, they would never feel shame of who they are. And if they are, get working on it.
I'm fat, that's who I am.

I also think Universal was more than generous.

You ride the atttractions with the bench seats enough and you’re going to run into the person(s) who won’t move it over to point where they are ‘touching’ another person. This despite the TMs repeatedly imploring them to move it, move it.:rolleyes1

More than once on Kong, when at the end of the loading line, I’ve realized that there wasn’t enough space for my party (due to said people not moving all the way over/larger persons taking up extra seating space).

I’m talking them trying to stuff three people into a space that might hold two. Apparently, they count heads vs factoring in body sizes.

Solution is to turn to the TM and say “nope...not going to happen...we’ll wait for the next one”

the TMs can roll their eyes all they want. It takes a heckuva lot more to ‘shame me’ lol.

Sometimes to might be better not to max out the number of riders with a customer of size for the comfort of others. Once my daughter and I were riding Dudley Do right Ripsaw Falls. They loaded the two of us into the section of log, me in the back and then my daughter and then loaded an extremely large woman in front of my daughter. Because of the seating on the ride your legs are under the rider in front of you. The woman had such large hips that they rested heavily on my daughter's legs and what started out to be uncomfortable for my daughter had her wincing in pain as the ride went on.

Sometimes to might be better not to max out the number of riders with a customer of size for the comfort of others. Once my daughter and I were riding Dudley Do right Ripsaw Falls. They loaded the two of us into the section of log, me in the back and then my daughter and then loaded an extremely large woman in front of my daughter. Because of the seating on the ride your legs are under the rider in front of you. The woman had such large hips that they rested heavily on my daughter's legs and what started out to be uncomfortable for my daughter had her wincing in pain as the ride went on.

Yikes!!! That sounds awful!

We recently got passes to Universal, I read a lot about the size limits for some of their more intense rides. (I think the consensus is that size 22+ can be problematic on some of the rides) I read there are ride vehicles in front of the rides where you can check to see if you fit ok and the restraint closes. Anyways, we walked up to Hogwart's castle and I was wondering if I'd fit, I was talking to the lady castmember. I sat in the seat and the castmember was checking it if would close, and it wouldn't lock. I think my chest was getting a little in the way and I felt uncomfortable, it was definitely TOO tight, if it did lock into place, I don't even know how likely I would be to ride it because I'd feel claustrophobic about the restraint. The lady was really nice to me though, she wasn't judgmental, she was helpful, she talked about which seats were larger, and that the seat on display was a larger one. I said I knew I needed to lose weight, it's just a fact. Maybe 20lbs or so and I would probably be able to ride it. I walked away feeling fine, the employee was respectful and kind.

From the sound of the article, the customer was just embarrassed or uncomfortable with the situation. I've noticed that there are some really nice employees at Universal, I think most people would say the same. I think their offer to treat the customer to a gift card, dinner and tickets was generous enough.

The woman had such large hips that they rested heavily on my daughter's legs and what started out to be uncomfortable for my daughter had her wincing in pain as the ride went on.

If at any time you or your family feels uncomfortable on a ride where they seat multiple people, you have the right to ask to wait for the next ride. I have watched this happen many times and the TM’s have been very accommodating.

I was at Universal at end of January by myself and I rode Kong several times back to back. The last time I went to get on I was the last person in the row and what would have been my seat at the end of the bench was next to a guy who was very big and sweaty. There was not enough room for a tiny 6 year old to set in that area of the bench that was left for me. I looked at TM and said, I will wait for next bus. They were fine with that. I don’t think she originally saw what was going on and when she looked at the situation again she understood.

The TM’s line everyone up in the numbered lines to get on the bus assuming that everyone in that line will fit on the bench in their respective rows. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t.

On the fat shaming business. I have read other posts where people have shared their displeasure at not being able to ride on rides do to their weight issues. First off no one has the right to call someone out on their weight issues at all. If a poster chooses to share their opinion on not being able to ride a ride because of their weight no one should be telling them to lose weight. You are essentially fat shaming them yourselves.

Be who you are, love yourself no matter what your size.

I think in our lovely world of social media people are able to hide behind their computers and be very rude and hurtful to others at times.

Universal has put test seats out front of many of the more rigorous rides so that folks can see if they will fit on these rides. It’s not meant to shame anyone, it is to make sure you are safe on the rides.

I was once a 130 pounds, but now I’am older and a lot bigger. I fit on all the rides at Universal, but choose not to ride some because of physical issues ie..back and joint replacement. I love going to Universal and don’t have a problem not riding certain rides because of it.

I can honestly tell you all the TM’s I have ever met at Universal Orlando have been kind and very helpful. I go fairly often and I’am always amazed at how well the TM’s interact with all the park visitors. It a tough job and they do it so well.

I have no doubt that USF will come up with a fair solution to that persons complaint.

Last edited:
While I've not experienced this issue myself (I have no issues riding any of the rides at all) I have seen how accommodating TM's are with larger folks. We've seen the issue handles on The Mummy several times as well as FJ and Hulk. Even when we've seen folks that just can't fit, they were always treated respectfully. While it's too bad this woman in particular couldn't ride Kong, she seems to be placing the blame on the wrong people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!