with all the changes taking place what will you miss?

bluegrizzlies1

<font color=green>The crab was there and then it w
Im going to miss the california letters our daughter loved getting her picture taken every time we went.

i never visited the park until 2007 sure wish i could of went in the 80s to see what it use to be :)

IMG_20110204_141838.jpg

1011091801.jpg

We'll miss the Golden Gate Bridge at DCA. I can't think of any upcoming changes at DL but we do miss the Country Bears, the PeopleMover, and the Main Street Electrical Parade.

I have definitely seen a lot of changes at Disneyland itself over the last 4 decades of my life, and at the whole resort in the last ten years. There are many things I already miss (I miss the old, pre-Downtown Disney version of the Disneyland Hotel, for instance - which was larger, had many more restaurants and shops and Candy Cane Lane during the holidays). I could go on and on with what I already miss.

But as far as what I will miss that is being removed due to the current changes? I will miss and DO miss Candy Corns Acres - which was DCA's contribution to the Halloween Time celebration. I will miss the candy corn CALIFORNIA letters at the entrance during that season, as well as the candy cane versions for Christmas. I will miss the peace, quiet and near-solitude of the whole Paradise Pier area of DCA (circa maybe 2007), where you could just sit and overlook the bay and there was no one around!

I moved this thread over to the Community section, as it's not planning-specific.:goodvibes

I miss the people mover in Tomorrowland. The TTA at WDW is one of my favorite things to do. It makes me sad that DL doesn't have theirs any more.

I also miss the skyway that took you from one side of the park to the other. I loved how it went right through the peak of the Matterhorn Mountain.

I miss being able to do Star Tours since it's been undergoing refurbishment for awhile now. I don't know if I'll miss the original Star Tours when it's replaced with the new one; I hope that I'll enjoy the new one as much or more as the old one. :yoda:

I really like the recent changes in the Park...the return of Capatin EO to the theater in Tomorrowland, the new menu at Village Haus & the fairly-new menu at Cafe' Orleans, the super-cool light shows on the it's a small world facade, the Ghost Galaxy overlay on Space Mountain, and the Halloween stuff in general, especially the amazing carved pumpkins in Frontierland. (Though I wish I could experience the Haunted Mansion in its classic form for Halloween; I'm one of the seemingly few people who doesn't care for the 'Nightmare' overlay...) Usually, I am averse to change in the Park (I remember going to Tomorrowland 98 shortly after it opened, and being horrified! No Peoplemover, just a ride that always breaks down & has a line 10 miles long! The Rockets Jets replaced with a rotating hunk o' junk & their replacement looking like Aughra from the Dark Crystal's machine plunked down amongst massive concrete french fries & blocking the enterance to Tomorrowland! Space Mountain painted brown...how is a junkyard palette 'futuristic'?!?), but they've been going in a good direction for the past few years, IMO. No "WTH why did they replace an old favorite with THIS?!?" from me in a long while :rotfl:

I already miss the waterfalls at the Disneyland Hotel; I have fond memories of them, and always enjoyed how they kind of sort of smelled like the water from POTC. But...I'm really, really, really looking forward to the new restaurant that's supposed to be reminiscent of the Tahitian Terrace.

As for all the refurbs in California Adventure...I'll be honest and say that I'm not emotionally attatched to that Park. I don't hate it, I do think it's better than just having a parking lot there :laughing:, but I don't feel the same way about it as I do Disneyland. Being from L.A. & also being an old Hollywood/Art Deco aficionada, I am SOOOO looking forward to the redo of the enterance/Hollywood Blvd. section of DCA. It will be like being able to get in a time machine & go to a place and time that I've been fascinated with for most of my life! I like the direction they're going with the Victorian seaside amusement park theme; to me, it's so much more Disney-like than what it was before. I'm also very much looking forward to the Little Mermaid ride, and I'm happy that they're adding more "greenery" to a park that's severely lacking in shady areas on hot days. Bring on the change, I say...I'd be thrilled to have another park that I enjoy even half as much as the original!

I am leary about the new Star Tours. I can tell you right now, it'll most likely be 100% CGI (stupid) and everything about the old ride (such as practical 'model' FX) which was great and tied us to the original trilogy will be long gone. :mad:

Plus, they'll probably dumb it down more than ever to make it appeal to little kids. We'll see, but I don't have a good feeling about it.

I am leary about the new Star Tours. I can tell you right now, it'll most likely be 100% CGI (stupid) and everything about the old ride (such as practical 'model' FX) which was great and tied us to the original trilogy will be long gone. :mad:

Plus, they'll probably dumb it down more than ever to make it appeal to little kids. We'll see, but I don't have a good feeling about it.

Oh, no...all CGI? I'll withold judgement until I'm able to see the new ride, but I really hope that it won't be one of those cases of "what was taken out remains superior to what it was replaced with". I hope that the wait area is still as highly themed; I've always been a huge Star Wars fan & seeing C3PO and R2D2 "in person" was sooooo cool.

I'm really going to miss the california letters. We have pictures of my oldest son from every trip we took and I love looking at them to see how he's grown over the years. My youngest never got to see them :sad2:

I will miss the electrical parade too, but I'm excited about some of the things they are bringing in.

Disneyland.....I still miss the people mover, Adventure through inner space and the sea serpent on the submarine ride in Tomorrowland...but Tomorrowland is all about keeping one jump ahead so progress must march on. If Tomorrowland was the same as it was on opening day there would still only be 49 state flags. As far as new improvements we too are reserving judgement on the new Star Tours as I hope they don't suck the charm & nostalgia out of it.

As far as DCA goes we have only been once but there are things like Bountiful Valley Farms and the mosaic murals that are gone already and we never saw them.

But the most missed will be the facade of the DLH no koi, no waterfalls and no more retro balconies...the new blue glass is ugly. I know the rooms need to be renovated from time to time but leave the iconic look of the hotel as it was. I would give up every inch of the DTD shops and restaurants for the DLH in her heyday. I am however looking forward to the new "Tahitian Terrace" type restaurant that will be opened there.

The CALIFORNIA letters for sure.
Past changes that I miss are the Country Bears.... I barely remember them but I do remember loving it when I was super little! It would be amazing if Disney decided to bring them back someday, since it seems like lots of people miss them.
Also the Electrical Parade...again I was super little but hearing that music always gives me such a feeling of nostalgia. & a few years ago when I watched it in DCA I was getting all teary-eyed! Too bad it's gone again :(
I am very much looking forward to the new DCA though :thumbsup2
I love that DLR is always changing.

I miss things here and there, but overall the change I'm sure will be for the better.

Think of it this way. Is DLR better now than in 1951? How about than the 1971 MK in WDW?

I miss the Cali themed music they played at DCA. Last I remember the music was very weird but it might have been for that one festival going on. I don't remember even acknowledging music last time we were there, lol.

I miss the Segway tour. JUST when I found out about it and planned on doing it, it was gone by our next trip. IDK if it's coming back.

I also feel bad for my fiance because he wanted to control the jungle cruise boats, and now they are gone. Poor guy!

I'll miss the low crowds of off season. With annual passes and new things coming up it just seems like there will be no more off season hours anymore. Just busy and being even WORSE over the summer.

BUT I CAN'T WAIT FOR CARSLAND! :yay:

By far, I miss the MAIN STREET Electrical Parade. Okay, move to DCA, and call it DISNEY'S Electrical Parade, but seeing it in it's original form in the place that it originated, will always be one of my favorite memories of Disneyland.

By far, I miss the MAIN STREET Electrical Parade. Okay, move to DCA, and call it DISNEY'S Electrical Parade, but seeing it in it's original form in the place that it originated, will always be one of my favorite memories of Disneyland.

That's sad to see gone. Especially now when we have no parades at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter