Wishblade vs Craftrobo vs Cricut??

piratesmate

<font color=red>Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue t
DH went out and spent quite a bit of money on power tools last night and I asked him how much he was planning to spend for my birthday next month. ;) This was a bit of a joke since half the time he doesn't even say "Happy Birthday" let alone get a card or a gift. (Don't feel bad for me - I've long since learned to just go out & buy things I want when the money is available. ;))

Anyway, he said he never "plans" to spend a certain amount, he just asks what I want & gets that. (Men!! What planet do they live on?!? He's never in 32 years of marriage asked what I wanted!!) :lmao: :lmao: So were started talking about the problems I'd been having with my Sizzix the past week & thinking I'd stand a better chance of having him get the Cricut on Tuesday at ACM for $124 (if the rumor is true) I started by telling him about the Wishblade.

Well, he shocked my socks off when he said that he thought it was better to spend the $400 and not have to buy cartridges later. OK - now I'm completely confused!! :confused3 I did a bit of research last night & what I read sure wasn't I remembered reading on this board or others.

According to at least one article, the upkeep on a Wishblade (replacement blades & mats) seems to be more expensive & frequent than with either the Craftrobo or the Cricut. Also, do you really need to buy fonts for the Wishblade?!?!? I thought that was the whole reason people went for it - that you could cut any font on your computer. :confused

And would someone explain to me the basics of how you cut shapes with one of these? Do you trace the shape, scan it, or something else?? I know there are files you can get from a shared site, but what about ones that don't already exist?

Someone tell me which would be the best way to go here - please? (Of course I'm not holding my breath that he'll actually purchase any or these, but a girl can dream, right? ;)

The craftrobo and wishblade are basically the same machine with slightly different software. You can use any true font type and have it cut automatically. With the new program you can also eailsy connect fonts in a basic paint program and then cut them out as a continuous word. (I think you may be able to do this right in the new program but I don't have it so I don't know for sure). You can also take any piece of clip art and trace it. If you scane in a file you can have the program trace it. The program also has drawing tools so you can handtrace pictures or parts of pictures as well as draw you own pieces to cut. I have well over 2000 files but have only made a few of the myself. I have gotten involved in swaps where everyone makes a file and then shares it. I have gotten many free files others have made off of groups and i have purchased some files. Many of the groups take requests so if you really need something and it is not avaiable anywhere someone may be willing to create it for you. If you scan in pictures you can trace them and make files both color and black and white.

Upkeep questions are a little harder for me to answer because I use a craftrobo pro so my blades and mats are different the the regular machines. My mats are the same just in both the regular size and a larger size. I can use my mat about 50 times before I need to refresh it. I use a baby wipe to clean the mat and then spray Kyrlon adhesive on oit. From what I have read on the groups the name brand on this makes a difference. I need to respray about every 30 pieces after the first time. I am still using some of my first mats although I also use newer ones. I usually have up to 2 mats going at a time. I am just getting to the point (after a year and at least 2000 cuts) where I am thinking about replacing my blade. My blade is completely different from the other blades though so I can't tell you how often it needs to be replaced but I can tell you it can be sharpened.

To actually make a cut you have a file with lines drawn and then tell the machine to cut it by pressing a button in the program and the computer tells you machine where to cut (it is considered a printer/plotter in your utilities).

You can also print and cut- You can take clip art and print it on paper and if you have traced around it in the software (an automatic thing now) it will cut the picture out for you.

Pros for the wishblade/craftrobo: you don't need to buy anything to start cutting files, there are already 100s of files more for this machine than the cricut and many more come out everyday. You can most styles of font from your computer and many more that you can download from online. You can cut up to 30 inches, you don't have to use a carrier sheet if you are using a backed paper (it is a sticker). You are not limited to designs made by one company.

Cons: It has a learning curve to get used to it. The instruction manuals are unclear so you need to use the online support groups to help when you are starting out. You don't start with a cartridge so you need to creat or download a file to start cutting.

Rebecca

From what I've read and seen it sounds like the Cricut is more of a plug in and go kind of machine where the Craftrobo and Wishblade have wider capabilities but you really need to learn to use the machine first and you need to take the time to load the files and such. DH would like me to wait for the Wishblade but that means getting a new computer too. Which of course means waiting forever. I'm just not that patient. KWIM?

Also the Cricut has come out with markers that will draw some of the images instead of cutting them out. Those will be out in July after CHA. Just some more food for thought.

The wishblade has a pen tool and it can be used for drawing instead of cuting also.

Rebecca

Wishblades and CR also have a pen holder that will let you trace an object or journal with it.

Buffy is right- the cricut is more "plug and play" while the cutters that hook up to a computer have a learning curve to them.

Yes, you can cut any TTF. No need to really purchase any- unless there is something that you can't get for free off the net. Now I will tell you this- some fonts are easier to cut than others. The thinner and fancier ones can be a pain at times, depending on how small you want the font. For example, I was cutting a title for my SIL and it had to be about 1/2" high in order to fit where she was placing it. The number 1 on the cut was giving me fits as after I cut it, the top "slope" kept wanting to stick to the mat and break. I had to go in and make the slope fatter in order to get it to come off the mat in one piece. Oh, and just by looking at it, you couldn't tell that I had modified it.

You can make your own mats for these machines for much less than purchasing new. Joann's carries sheets of quilters template plastic ($3-$4) that works very well. Cut to the width to fit the machine and the length that you want (max is 30 some inches) and spray with Krylon repositional adhesive (runs about $6 and will last a long time). Check out www.paperthreads.com for prices on the blades. The blades will be the biggest replacement expense. They can also be sharpened a bit in between replacements by cutting through aluminum foil. If the teflon strip ever needs replacing, it too can be pricey, however, I have read somewhere that replacements can be had for $5 or so.

Either this month or next, Xyron is supposed to be coming out with a new manual and an instuctional video. Now there is a software out called WinSignPC for scrapbooking that includes instructional video that can be used with both the CR and WB. The reviews for this software that I've seen have been pretty good. It runs $99. The last time I looked at paperthreads, they had a CR for $281 shipped- add in the WinPCSign software and it's still less than what I bought my WB for at HSN.

The biggest advantage the WB and CR have over the cricut imo is you don't have to buy cartridges for it. Like Rebecca said, you can create your own files, scan and trace, or print and cut. You can weld letters together (Wishblade Create and Cut software) and make mats for them. There are TONS of free files available to download, and some that you have to pay for (usually just a few $). Yes, the cricut may be easier to use, but, with a WB/CR, in the end, you are not limited to what is on a cartridge.

Unfortunately, the best answer to your question of which way to go is "it depends".

Here are some generalities that _might_ help:

- If you are a computer newbie, and are not comfortable with image software like photoshop or even Paint, then cricut is the way to go.

- If you are price sensitive, and you don't mind having to use two pieces of software to accomplish some designs, I would recommend the CraftRobo 1.

- If you like the CraftRobo, but wouldn't mind spending a bit more for software that might make some designing a little easier, go Wishblade or maybe even Pazzles

- After that, the price point jumps up to around $1000, but you get the ability to cut thicker materials (like chipboard) and use larger sizes of material (bigger than 8.5x11)

I should add that in a few weeks a new machine is coming out, the Klic-N-Kut Element, which for $550 cuts thick materials that are 8.5x11, so if you aren't in a big hurry, that may be an option.

I know it is confusing to choose from all the cutters out there. With the help of others I made a comparison sheet showing the features of low end computer driven cutters, I think it will help. Send me an email from mydiecuts.com and I will tell you where to get it. I will be happy to answer any other questions, as well.

If you decide to cuy a CR or KNK, send me an email from mydiecuts.com and I will give you a great deal.

Dan

Cost is an issue for me, even if DH doesn't seem to mind. ;) (Although I still think when it comes time to actually part with the $$ he's going to balk.)

I love the idea of the Cricut even though given time I'd spend WAY more than the inital outlay for one of the more expensive machines...there's always a new cartridge I'd want. :rotfl2: It's just really tough to think about dropping $400 or $500 on a machine for a hobby. :rolleyes: (Of course DH is into sound reinforcement - mostly for church - and has spent quite a bit on his toys. :rotfl: :rotfl: )

Thanks for the input everyone! :teeth:

I'm not the least bit intimidated by computers. :lmao: In fact, my job was to test pre-release software as well as hardware prior to the IT bust in 2001. And I do use PhotoShop CS.

I'm not the least bit intimidated by computers. :lmao: In fact, my job was to test pre-release software as well as hardware prior to the IT bust in 2001. And I do use PhotoShop CS.

honestly I think this makes it harder to decide too because you know you can fiddle around with more tech heavy tools. I'm not the most computer literate person but I do know my way around a Mac pretty well. But DH being the computer geek that he is always wants the top notch, most gadgity thing out there.

FYI I will probably end up owning some generation of both the Wishblade and the Cricut. But I think for now the Cricut is the route I'm going just because I don't to wait til I get a new laptop.

Part of my decision was portibility. I don't want to have to bring my laptop to a crop or back and forth to my mom's & BF's just to use my machine.

I had basically the same question, but I think I am still unsure. DH and I were briefly talking about these machines the other day and I stated that I was holding out for a Wishblade due to the "no cartridges to buy" issue. But I am not the most computer saavy person (although I always have DH and the kids to help me). And if I have a Wishblade, am I going to "wish" I had a laptop to go along with it, rather than the home PC that we all share? And if I DO get a laptop, I may end up doing more digital scrapping and less traditional scrapping, so would I need a Wishblade anyhow???

Lots of questions. But no $$ for anything right now anyhow, so it is all just "WISH"ful thinking!....................P

I had a Craft Robo and after becoming very frustrated trying to learn how to use it and becoming very overwhelmed, I sold it on ebay and bought a Cricut. I consider myself computer literate, but had little to no experience with graphics software. I spent hours on message boards trying to learn how to weld letters and trace and cut graphics and became very frustrated.

For me, scrapbooking is my fun time, and I felt that the Craft Robo was making the experience not fun! I also become very overwhelmed when given too many choices and since the Craft Robo would cut any TTF, I would spend too much time trying to pick out which font to use.

I have LOVED my Cricut. I have options, but they aren't unlimited. It is easy to understand and use and I don't have to have it hooked up to my computer, which is great, because sometimes I like to scrap when my hubby is working on our desktop computer. I also liked the fact that the replacement parts and supplies were less expensive.

I have found that it isn't difficult to find cartridges on sale for a pretty decent price, and they are coming out with many new carts.

You'll have to decide what is right for you, but Cricut was the way to go for me!

I have both the pink Wishblade and the Cricut. I keep the WB for fonts and the Cricut for shapes (especially Mickey!). so I can't really recommend either one over the other. I hate that with the Cricut you have to do each letter individually, so I love the weld feature on the WB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter