Will we survive the heat?!?! Aug 21-23. Pre-Trip and Trip Report

Akwafunk

Mouseketeer
So we live 4 hours drive away, and in the past have gone between Feb or April, when it's ranged from pleasant to downright arctic. We decided we wanted to do a quick Universal visit before school goes back (I have an AP, and one does feel a little pressure to use it ;)) also the kids love Despicable Me and we've seen the ride in progress on previous visits.

Rates dropped into the $140 (RPR) - $180 (PBH) range with an AP towards the end of August, which gives the wallet a break, but also let's me know that the parks won't be as full since most visitors are heading home to get ready to get the kids back to school. I did all my back-to-school shopping months ago!

T and I, along with J, who is a tall 7 (tall enough for RRR, I wonder if he'll bite when I make that offer) and S, who is a petite 4, but is 40 inches which finally puts The Simpsons, Spiderman (maybe too scary?) and Despicable Me into reach for him. Yay. I do love the Cat in the Hat ride, but think I did it a dozen times on the last trip. Hoping to keep that in single digits this trip.

Where?
I started us out at Royal Pacific, but decided to bump up to Portofino Bay. I like the relative quiet of the resort, the pool has a slide, and yes, it is a slightly longer walk, but it's minimal. Also, the rooms are significantly bigger (even if a lot of that space is in the bathroom) and the spouse ain't a light traveller. I don't know about you, but I always feel like we order these big meals that no-one really eats. I like the offerings at Sal's Deli, which will allow us to do a light dinner/lunch. Plus, kids and pizza... It doesn't get much simpler than that.

Tickets?
Went with three day park-to-park from Undercover Tourist.com.

The Manage-The-Heat-Plan
1) We're used to it. As I said earlier, we live fairly near, so we're dealing with similar conditions, so I figured more of the same, our blood has thinned over the years in the South.

2) Water rides. We've not done many of these, as Florida really can get cold. T an J have done a few but I was stuck with S in Seuss Landing. That's something else that needs to be handled better - equitable child sharing! S is going to be too short for Jurassic Park, but there are others.

3) The tried and trusted "get there early, take a break and go back in the early evening when the parks emptier and it's cooler" plan. We stay onsite to take advantage of the early entry, and also to make it easy to get back to the hotels. We'll see how refreshing the blood temperature swimming pools are, but either way, a break we will take!

4) Hydrate. We plan to take advantage of the free cups of iced water on offer around the park. And just to be sure it tastes totally awesome, I'm bringing along the Brita bottles with filters. While I like the similar Bobble bottles, the Brita's have a wider mouth, which will make them easier to fill and to get ice into. Also, I beleive these can be used without the filters, so if the kids want juice or something, that can be done.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005D7D70K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=AD6RFAAQRI8WI
We'll be bringing back our trusty pop corn bucket too to snack on. And Butterbeer mugs.

5) What to wear? We live close to the beach, and I wear baggies and rash guards, along with the boys when we go. (Much easier than trying to persuade a small child to put sunblock on your back) We are going to try hitting the parks in these, at least in the mornings, quick dry, UV blocking and designed for the heat. I'm also bring along some of those microfiber, camping towels to help us dry off. Compact and they dry fast. We will bring S's stroller along, mostly to carry supplies! But he does get tired, so for him too.

6) Since we're going to be getting wet, and tickets and Express Passes are all printed on card, bought a couple of Witz waterproof ID holders to keep everything dry. http://www.amazon.com/Witz-Sport-Cases-Clear-Colors/dp/B0007PENQK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top We've also had those plastic sleeves rip right off lanyards before, so I wanted something a little more robust.

The Park Plan
Happily with Universal, one doesn't need a wildly complicated touring plan, in the past we've always hit WWOHP hard for the first hour, but now we have early entry at the Studios too. I also went on a solo trip and rode and screamed my way through the coasters, so really, the pressure is off.

I do need to come up with a strategy that gets me on some rides with the big kid, and gets the spouse into Seuss Landing with small. S and I haven't done Pteranodon Flyers, and I know he will dig it.

Next step is to measure both boys and come up with potential ride lists. J has done FJ twice now, and, it kindof freaks him out, not the motion, but the creatures. He loves the coaster aspect of Hippogriff, so I wonder if he'll want to try RRR. To be fair, it's the one I have not done, since I fear the slow climb and tension build, but if he asks to do it, I will go with him. No pressure though.

More To Come...
:thumbsup2

sounds like you are ready to go now!

the water proof holder, is that for around the wrist or neck?

i like the look of it, thinking of ordering one.

You may already know this or have these but if your kids would want the fans that spray water, it is a super deal to get them at Walmart, rite aid, or the like before you leave for almost half the price! They are a great way to not realize its as hot out as it is and it's great for not just the kids :)

sounds like you are ready to go now!

the water proof holder, is that for around the wrist or neck?

i like the look of it, thinking of ordering one.

It is on a lanyard, but I bet it would work on a coiled up wrist thing too. It also comes with a carabiner, so you could clip it to a belt loop. I got mine off eBay at a slightly better price.

And seriously thinking about the water fan combo thing too, thanks for he reminder on those.
:thumbsup2

We love the heat! The water rides are much better when you are able to dry off in the heat and not feel cold. We'll be flying in the same day as you are arriving. Staying at RPH for 4 nights. We liked USO so much last year, our first visit at the same time - end of August. Kids requested we do at least 3 days in the parks again. We did PBH last year, but RPH is cheaper, even more so with the AP, so we will see if we like the hotel as much as we did the PBH.
I loved PBH, the quiteness, large room, and beautiful hotel.

Have a great time. We may even cross paths!

We love the heat! The water rides are much better when you are able to dry off in the heat and not feel cold. We'll be flying in the same day as you are arriving. Staying at RPH for 4 nights. We liked USO so much last year, our first visit at the same time - end of August. Kids requested we do at least 3 days in the parks again. We did PBH last year, but RPH is cheaper, even more so with the AP, so we will see if we like the hotel as much as we did the PBH.
I loved PBH, the quiteness, large room, and beautiful hotel.

Have a great time. We may even cross paths!

Oh - thanks so much for chiming in - you're making me feel very good about our hot August trip. So much so, that I just added another day.
:goodvibes
I can't wait. I never would have pegged myself as a theme park person, but I really do have a bit of a thing for Universal.

No doubt we will cross paths.

Just 5 days to go now.

Think we've tracke down all the bits and pieces - just can't find the two Universal ponchos AND... the popcorn bucket's lid.
:lmao:

I bought a bunch of women's wickable/quick dry bermuda's and T's and have been wearing hem these last few weeks - about as comfortable as I have been out in the heat of Summer.

Oh - even got the kid's some good UV-blocking sunglasses.

We're ready! (Well - once I pack it all)

Very excited!!!
:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter