Will I regret carrying around a big camera bag?

1KellyDB

Earning My Ears
I have a great camera and want to take lots of pictures of our cruise and excursions. The problem is, the bag is huge and the camera is expensive so I don't know if I should take it or not. Where would I leave it during the dolphin or snorkeling excursions or on the beach in Cast Away Cay if I decide to swim? I am hoping an experienced cruiser with similar concerns can answer some of the above questions. Thanks!

Kelly

We do bring a nice camera for a lot of the picture taking, but, leave it behind in the cabin (it will be fine there) on wet excursions and for Castaway Cay and bring those disposable waterproof cameras for picture taking there instead. I recommend either the Kodak or Fuji, just make sure they're loaded with 800 speed film for good pictures.

And something to note Disney docks at Castaway Cay, so you can always go back to the cabin later in the day to get the better camera to just take some pics of the flora.

Yep, I agree with bringing a disposable for those situations where you will be in the water, and no-place to leave your good camera....

Two tips!!!!

1. LABEL that disposable.... There may an awful lot of them around! Heard of one cruiser who almost got theirs mixed up with another... the two families took a guess as to whos was whos, and luckilly they were right....

2. Instead of going back to the ship later for the good camera... Take it FIRST!!! You can get a few great shots of the Island in the morning sunshine, (hopefully sunshine!!!) before it gets crowded, the sky gets hazy, etc.... Get a few shots of your family on the beach before they look like sunburned sandy water-rats!!! LOL!!!! Then one person can run the camera back to the ship... And you are camera-bag free for the rest of the day!

Thank you for the quick response. You answered just the way I thought you would! I am going to pick up an underwater camera from Ritz for my husband for Father's Day. He Scuba Dives so I guess we would be buying one eventually. I just hope it takes good pictures. Thanks for the tip about the 800 speed film. I hadn't thought of that!

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

I'm one of those that takes the whole works (or almost) with me in the way of camera equipment. Once onboard though I tend to think about the situations I'm going to be in and only pack what I need in the way of lenses, etc. for that situation. I too have the disposables for the "wet" excursions.

Looked at the $99 model at Ritz this spring and for us decided we could go through a LOT of disposables before breaking even on that one. But then again - no regular divers in the family.

Thanks for the labeling idea Wishing on a Star! When I send disposables with my kids I always label them but hadn't even crossed my mind for this purpose! Ok, one more thing to add to the things to do list! We sail next week! Yipppeeee! :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Deb

Have fun FDF. Make sure you give us a trip report when you get back. We're thinking about Western next time.:D

Kelly,

I brought my big SLR gear, but when we went ashore I only brought the lens or 2 I thought I'd use most, in a smaller bag. I brought a bicycle cable combination lock, and when I went in the water I ran the cable through the camera bag, camera strap and TWO beach chairs. Not 100% foolproof, but anyone trying to steal it would have been very motivated and very obvious.

some great suggestions.

Hope you will take your good SLR...we did - and did not regret it. Make sure you have your battery checked and take spares for your flash.

Another idea...look into a photo backpack. I picked mine up on eBay...about 1/3 of the price - paid about $40. It's a little heavier than a regular backpack...but protects our gear and keeps your hands free. When I make the switch to digital (just can't let go my canon a1 - yet), this backpack will transition wonderfully.

good luck

I have a photo backpack and love it. It has room for my camera, 3 lenses, flash, filters, and still has room for our small digital camcorder or my new digital camera. There is a separate compartment in the front for film, extra batteries, snacks, etc.

Please be aware that it is likely your camera may fog up when you go outside, especially in the summer. That quick move from the air conditioned stateroom to the verandah fogged my camera almost every time. I got in the habit of putting my camera and backpack out on the verandah in the morning so that it could adjust to the temperature and humidity level.

I have an Advantix camera, a digital camera, and a digital camcorder. I really don't want to take everything down--any suggestions on which one to leave behind? I am leaning toward the camcorder.
Robin M.

I have one of those camera case/backpacks too! DH bought it via Land's End a couple Christmases back and I don't know what I'd do without it.

In fact I just finished packing it for this cruise! It is bulging! And I realized I had forgotten to get a polarizing filter for my newest lens! Ok, one more shopping trip to squeeze. :rolleyes:

I hope I don't have any problems carrying it on along with my regular carry on. I called the airline and discussed it with a representative when I was verifying seat assignments, etc. Even gave her the dimensions and she said it would not be a problem as a camera bag is designated as an additional item to a carry on and no dimensions are stipulated.

Any of you backpack carriers had any difficulty?

Deb

Backpack Camera Bag sounds wonderful! I will have to look into that!!

I brought my video camera everywhere on the ship - Only because you never knew who you may see when you turn the corner - We were caught by surprise on a number of times and I was always glad I had my camera with me (My camera can also fit inside my video camera bag with it)

I did not take it into port though - Only took my digital -

Originally posted by KaitlinsMom
Backpack Camera Bag sounds wonderful! I will have to look into that!!

I brought my video camera everywhere on the ship - Only because you never knew who you may see when you turn the corner - We were caught by surprise on a number of times and I was always glad I had my camera with me (My camera can also fit inside my video camera bag with it)

-

The only regret I would have about the camera would be NOT having it for that "I can't believe this is happening" photo op. Those never seem to happen again if you don't have the camera with you.

My sister and neice were picked for Walk the Plank and won and Captain Mickey presented their medals - you guessed it, they didn't have a camera with them. That's a shot you don't get a second chance to take.

that's my 2 cents worth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter