Wife, Cable and OTA TV

boat guy

Earning My Ears
I'm sorry if this has been answered. I have read non stop for the last two weeks. We will be making our first trip to the Fort over the holidays. We are towing a 42'+ fifth wheel. Hoping to get a deep site and as of today the campground was not full because we added a day and will be arriving about 2pm on the 19th.

Due to illness my wife will have days when she won't be able to do much and spend most of her time in the trailer. Thats the reason we have it, and the reason its so comfortable. That being said I assume I may not be able to get my roof mounted dish to work and it looks like there are trees a plenty. We are Canadian so we won't have unlimited data on the hotspot but I have read that you can get cable and internet or wifi in most sights. So here are my questions,

1. Should we have to request a site with cable and internet?
2. Is the Internet fast enough for streaming?
3. We have a boosted digital antenna will it pick anything up?

Again, I understand most people are to busy to worry about TV or internet for entertainment but this is a different situation.

Thanks for your help.

Welcome boat guy to the camping forum.
All sites have cable TV. Be sure to bring your own cable coaxial. You can also get quite a few over the air channels. All sites have wifi. Speeds vary according to users.

I'm sorry if this has been answered. I have read non stop for the last two weeks. We will be making our first trip to the Fort over the holidays. We are towing a 42'+ fifth wheel. Hoping to get a deep site and as of today the campground was not full because we added a day and will be arriving about 2pm on the 19th.

Due to illness my wife will have days when she won't be able to do much and spend most of her time in the trailer. Thats the reason we have it, and the reason its so comfortable. That being said I assume I may not be able to get my roof mounted dish to work and it looks like there are trees a plenty. We are Canadian so we won't have unlimited data on the hotspot but I have read that you can get cable and internet or wifi in most sights. So here are my questions,

1. Should we have to request a site with cable and internet?
2. Is the Internet fast enough for streaming?
3. We have a boosted digital antenna will it pick anything up?

Again, I understand most people are to busy to worry about TV or internet for entertainment but this is a different situation.

Thanks for your help.
Yes all sites have free Wi-Fi and cable tv hook ups. It seems to me that the internet slows down at night when more people are probably using it. My kids did some YouTube watching just fine.
For the cable tv hook up, make sure you have the cable you would need to hook up the cable to the camper. My husband always took care of the hooking up but I think we usually needed some kind of cable to plug into the cable tv hook ups at the sites at campgrounds.

Welcome to the Camping Forum, boat guy.

Others have covered the cable and OTA (which is pretty good being in a major market.) The cable is pretty basic with 50 or so Disney Channels. Maybe not literally 50, but close.

As for satellite. I have DirecTv and setup an HD dish (big one hitting 3 satellites) on a tripod. Disney sites are 50/50 whether I can get a clear shot, even with 200 ft of coax. I would think you had to be pretty lucky to get a clean shot with a roof mount.

j

I just got back from the Fort.

As has been said, all sites have cable tv (usual campground signal issues for some) and WIFI. The wifi speed drops in the evening as more people get on it. But it continues to work.

I used an unboosted digital antenna from Clermont (30 miles from Orlando) and picked up many OTA signals the night before we checked in at the Fort. At the Fort, I'm sure you would get all since it is closer.

For my Vizio tv, I went through the setup scan (cable tv, no converter box) and got something like 60-70 channels. You will, as has been said, need to bring your own coax. I don't see a need to stream over the Net unless you are pointing to Netflix or Sling or something like that and can deal with the speed issues/buffering. As I said, midday is fine but evenings it slowed down.

Some trailer manufacturers really skimp on the tv's they put as OE in trailers and people have reported problems. Also sometimes the way they are wired and the use of splitters degrade the signal inside the trailer at the tv. In that case the Fort Meadow Trading post keeps some converter boxes but if you have a newer flat screen tv that is NOT OE it will probably work as mine did.

After the scan, you get all the networks, Disney channels, resort channels, etc. with a very heavy slant to channels and programming that Disney owns.

Good luck!

Bama Ed

Thank you all. 50ft coax already packed. Even checked the feeds to make sure it was good in the coach. I can deal with slow internet, and streaming will be on an as needed basis. Glad to hear about over the air solutions. I assume Bama Ed that you were talking about Lake Louisa in Clermont. We are spending the following week at Thousand Trails near there so I'm sure we will be just fine. Talking to Bama Ed almost like talking to a real live celebrity! Roll Tide!

John

Thank you all. 50ft coax already packed. Even checked the feeds to make sure it was good in the coach. I can deal with slow internet, and streaming will be on an as needed basis. Glad to hear about over the air solutions. I assume Bama Ed that you were talking about Lake Louisa in Clermont. We are spending the following week at Thousand Trails near there so I'm sure we will be just fine. Talking to Bama Ed almost like talking to a real live celebrity! Roll Tide!

John

John,

I WAS talking about Lake Louisa. It's my place to overnight after a day's drive before I head over to the Fort in the morning. And actually it was only one channel I couldn't get (the NBC affiliate). But I got about 12 other OTA channels. Yes, Thousand Trails is nearby (more down south towards 192).

Please stop with the celebrity stuff. We've got lots of great posters here who offer help to folks like you with a recent Join date and low post count.

Right now. Stahp it, please.

Bama Ed

PS - but I will take your "Roll Tide" and give one back at ya!

giphy.gif

Last edited:

We usually stay at TT before we go to The Fort. Nice place, no cable, just OTA.

This just keeps getting better. We cancelled Lake Louisa today and will go straight to the Fort a day earlier. Spending the night at a KOA off the highway In Tifton GA. Looks like about 4 hours on I75 and the turnpike. Thanks for all the help. Picked up a AT&T SIM card today that will give us Unlimited Internet for the month we are in the US. That should cover all the entertainment needs.

This just keeps getting better. We cancelled Lake Louisa today and will go straight to the Fort a day earlier. Spending the night at a KOA off the highway In Tifton GA. Looks like about 4 hours on I75 and the turnpike. Thanks for all the help. Picked up a AT&T SIM card today that will give us Unlimited Internet for the month we are in the US. That should cover all the entertainment needs.
Have a great trip! The weather looks perfect for next week. November is my favorite month to visit.

Have a great trip! The weather looks perfect for next week. November is my favorite month to visit.

Oops! I should have mentioned we aren’t leaving until December 15. I’m just a ridiculous planner. It will be our first Christmas at Disney.

Oops! I should have mentioned we aren’t leaving until December 15. I’m just a ridiculous planner. It will be our first Christmas at Disney.
:thumbsup2 Oops! Thought you meant you were going this weekend! December should be lovely too. Just slightly cooler than November. Christmas at Disney is awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts