Why do we eat so much mush on Thanksgiving?

Is she from the Midwest?:D

I used to belong to a now defunct mostly womens' forum and some of the ladies used to tell how that dish (sometimes w/ ketchup sometimes w/o) was a regular for entertaining. At first I thought it was on par with the running snipe hunting joke they used to pull my leg with but but no they were deadly serious.

On the other side they thought I was joshing when I posted my several course dinner dishes complete with written menus. Until one of them visited NYC during the holidays, came to my house for dinner and reported back that I weally weally was serious thus evening the score, LOL.

Gosh, I miss those people and communicating on FB is just not the same:(.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane:).

We have the meatballs too down here in the south. Or they will put the same stuff on cocktail sausages.

I personally like meatballs with a slightly similar sauce but something I put together myself. Much less sweet.

Meatballs in some form or fashion like that are pretty usual for a gathering with "finger foods". Almost all of our work pot lucks tend to include them. Not sure it's something I would serve at a sit down dinner party.

I always assumed it was a way to save money and use up foods. Got bread going stale? Crumble it up, add some butter and broth, some soft celery and onions, mix it up and bake. Spotty potatoes? Peel them, cut off the bad spots, cook, and mash them with tons of butter. Green beans getting limp or freezer burned? Douse those bad boys in cream of mushroom and cover with crunchy little dehyrdated onions (See-there's your crunchy- not- mushy dish).

I think it's just because casserole-type things travel and reheat well. It's hard to keep crispy things crispy when everyone is bringing them from different directions and trying to arrive about the same time.

I was thinking that. Also, Thanksgiving started being a national holiday around the Civil War, right? People didn't have tons of fresh veggies in most places. Most preserved food is mushy and salty/sugary. Also, most people didn't have double convection ovens...so the meat was roasted, but other things needed to be cooked other ways. Potatoes, pumpkin, sweet potatoes are going to be mushy.

We have the meatballs too down here in the south. Or they will put the same stuff on cocktail sausages.

I personally like meatballs with a slightly similar sauce but something I put together myself. Much less sweet.

Meatballs in some form or fashion like that are pretty usual for a gathering with "finger foods". Almost all of our work pot lucks tend to include them. Not sure it's something I would serve at a sit down dinner party.

Meatballs pretty much only show up on my table as an entree. It's rare for us to have any meat or bread included offerings in the starter course since I don't want anyone to spoil their appetites for the "main event". As well generally all my "apps" are served room temperature so I could conserve oven space for that what is to come. Just a personal choice that made my life easier:). Hot food generally started with the dining room table.

Hot finger food for our "Stupor Bowl" parties were the anomaly as opposed to the rule. Oh right and Asian Lunar New Year which we celebrated just because it was fun as opposed to any cultural attachments.

The only time you will find food with refined sugar or any time of oil in my cooking is Thanksgiving and Christmas. I used maple syrup for my cranberry sauce. My turnip and apple casserole has some brown sugar in it. I won't touch it but a few in my family insist on it. I very lightly spray my roasted veggies with olive oil. My caramelized brussel sprouts have no oil, just maple syrup roasted on parchment paper in the oven. No oil or butter in my stuffing, just fresh herbs, garlic, fried onions, mushrooms and celery (no oil) with vegetable broth. The most processed item would be the Tofurky and the gravy that comes with it. When I do make mashed potatoes I use unsweetened almond milk, garlic and onion powder and that's it. My relatives make mashed potatoes with pounds of butter, sour cream and cream cheese. I hate greasy, mushy over cooked food.

I just found this super healthy recipe for a sweet potato casserole that I wouldn't mind serving or eating:
https://www.forksoverknives.com/rec...content=plant-based&utm_term=vegan#gs.y3J_KcM

Last edited:
Meatballs pretty much only show up on my table as an entree. It's rare for us to have any meat or bread included offerings in the starter course since I don't want anyone to spoil their appetites for the "main event". As well generally all my "apps" are served room temperature so I could conserve oven space for that what is to come. Just a personal choice that made my life easier:). Hot food generally started with the dining room table.

Hot finger food for our "Stupor Bowl" parties were the anomaly as opposed to the rule. Oh right and Asian Lunar New Year which we celebrated just because it was fun as opposed to any cultural attachments.

I agree with appetizers spoiling the main event. I think when you put that much time and effort into the meal, you want people to appreciate it and not be full coming to the table. My Christmas and Thanksgiving appetizer is wine. :teeth:

Is she from the Midwest?:D

I used to belong to a now defunct mostly womens' forum and some of the ladies used to tell how that dish (sometimes w/ ketchup sometimes w/o) was a regular for entertaining. At first I thought it was on par with the running snipe hunting joke they used to pull my leg with but but no they were deadly serious.

On the other side they thought I was joshing when I posted my several course dinner dishes complete with written menus. Until one of them visited NYC during the holidays, came to my house for dinner and reported back that I weally weally was serious thus evening the score, LOL.

Gosh, I miss those people and communicating on FB is just not the same:(.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane:).
I’ve lived in this area for 50 years, I’ve only know about this mystery meatball dish from here (meatballs/ketchup/chili sauce/grape jelly). I’ve even been tempted to serve it here, but I’m a little scared.

My first husband was from the Midwest, his family was so lovely, but "I like to starve" as folks from the country here say, when we went there. I had one of those meatballs once. ONE. They would also bake casseroles with mayo in them and then couldn't believe when I could pinpoint it. My ex knew it was bad. We started eating huge fast food meals whenever we'd be away from the house! I introduced them to tn Christmas punch for the holidays and they took to making all kinds of whiskey drinks so things were ok after that!

Btw, when I'm consulting I'm in NYC all the time, can I get an invite?
Ok is the northeast the only spot that doesn’t do punch? There is sangria, I went to an October fest with an apple cider sangria, maybe a signature cocktail, but no punch (or punch bowl, just a container of some sort with a spout).

Ok is the northeast the only spot that doesn’t do punch? There is sangria, I went to an October fest with an apple cider sangria, maybe a signature cocktail, but no punch (or punch bowl, just a container of some sort with a spout).

My family does "punch" in martini pitchers (so lots of variations), but it's much more signature cocktail, then tons of wine.

I always assumed it was a way to save money and use up foods. Got bread going stale? Crumble it up, add some butter and broth, some soft celery and onions, mix it up and bake. Spotty potatoes? Peel them, cut off the bad spots, cook, and mash them with tons of butter. Green beans getting limp or freezer burned? Douse those bad boys in cream of mushroom and cover with crunchy little dehyrdated onions (See-there's your crunchy- not- mushy dish).

Multiple food usage was certainly more of a concern to past generations who subscribed to the waste not, want not philosophy. Food was also more expensive for them. I'm trying to instill "frugal food thought" in DGD yet have already figured out that this is a lost cause for her step grandfather otherwise known as the man.

Of course you can find punch in the NE, both alcoholic and non.
We do punch in my family most members who are not originally from this country but the ingredient list reads much like English versions so I'd guess one could find similar in the NE.

We do milk punch, tropical fruit punch and a special "I'd have to keel you if I gave you the complete recipe" punch but I can tell you that allspice and anise star are harmed in the making. We also used to do sherbet ginger ale punches for birthdays that my mother was in charge of but that version has fallen out of fashion. Maybe I'll do it some year soon since it's memory has been sparked:).

With alcohol added, I also do Champagne punches in deference to the ex and the "Franco-American, uh oh, Spaghettios" kiddos he left me with; he is of French-Belgian descent so I still cook in manners his great aunt would appreciate. She taught me much of what I learned of French food and I liked her way more than her nephew ultimately, LOL. Lots of French descent Americans and Canadians around so I'm sure they would be familiar with punch as well.

Oh and my mother has a lead crystal cut punch bowl that both my elder sister and I are vying for in the will that mother refuses to make. I suspect the last one in possession will win;). Errr my youngest sister isn't in the running since she never hosts any family get to-gethers and it took us until she was in her late twenties to prove she even knew how to cook.

Last edited:

Wel I didn't mean as an appetizer but one offering of many when it's more party foods. Meatballs, cocktail sausages, little sandwiches, tons of dips and crackers, fruit and veggie trays. That kind of stuff.

Appetizers around here are more stuffed mushrooms, stuffed celery (some kind of cream cheese concoction), a hot dip and something to dip in it. More times than not, something to give the guys in one room while the ladies are gathering in the kitchen with other stuff.

I've never been a huge fan of the traditional components of the American Thanksgiving meal (except for the turkey -- I LOOVVVEE turkey), and a few years ago I realized why: it's almost all mushy, and unless it's dairy, I don't care for that texture.

Seems like every veggie on the table is prepared "en casserole" Even the cranberries are reduced to jelly. The most traditional pie: smooth pumpkin custard. Mashed potatoes. Bread stuffing. I could go on forever.

How on earth did this meal end up this way? It's as if we were all hosting guests who are unable to chew.:confused3:confused3

Oops, sorry I thought you were referring to the canned Thanksgiving meal on the other thread!! :rotfl:

Hehehe. As soon as I find an apartment that will fit my dining room table invitations will flow again;).

I'm actually a lil depressed this forthcoming holiday period because we wont be hosting due to the fact that most of our entertaining stuff is in storage and space constraints. Going to Disney for the December holidays was the best antidote i could think of:).
I first read that as "most of our entertaining staff........." and I was like, dang, I'd host more with a staff too!

Well, I'm all for waste not, want not, but not on Thanksgiving. It's a food holiday, so the idea would presumably be to serve the best food you can afford on a day like that?

FWIW, my parents were immigrants, and when my Dad was still alive we never had a casserole of any type on the extended family holiday table. (Lots of root veggies, yes, because it was winter after all, and most green stuff was prohibitively expensive at that time of year.) My mother's signature company dish was cauliflower with bechamel sauce, and we always had mashed potatoes, but that was where it ended. No syrup yams, no cranberry gel, no pumpkin pie. There was usually a dish of pickled beets and some peas, and dessert was fruitcake or cheese if you didn't want sweets. The American stuff started creeping in when my oldest sister married, and after Dad died and Mom delegated more it really took off ... and I ate yet more turkey.

There are certain mushy things that I will make because my DH grew up with them, but those are for him, so if we're not doing the extended family there are just some herbed, sauteed or roasted veggies on the table with maybe a bit of butter on them. I grew up with potatoes at every meal except breakfast, so I make special mash for this holiday, but my one imperative for those is to keep them HOT -- I always hated it them served cold, and it always happened quickly because my mother had a habit of adding cold milk to them. I leave the butter at room temp for several hours first and heat the cream before adding it. (Though I don't add much. IMO "whipping" mashed potatoes absolutely ruins them. In my house you mash by hand or we don't serve it.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter