Why... Day 8, RPR Photos, endnotes

jakuch

Earning My Ears
Day 8, Wednesday, It Can't Be Wednesday Already!

We slept in until 8 a.m. today. Breakfast in the lounge, as usual. I wonder how I’m going to get to this lounge every morning when I get back home to Illinois. Who will say Good Morning!, who will arrange the breakfast choices, who clean up after me and my family? Oh, right, that’s me. And we certainly know who’s gonna do dinner.

So we head to the parks and Grace has her photo taken with Marilyn (who may be named Mark in real life):

Marilyn.jpg

We ride the rides we must do again and then head to lunch at Thunder Falls. My chicken & greens salad is really, really, good! It’s a bed of fresh greens & veggies with boneless, wood roasted chicken on top served with a citrus/cilantro dressing on the side. Jack & the girls also enjoy their bbq ribs & chicken. I was impressed with this place. The setting is cool and airy, with the Jurassic River meandering around the restaurant. So today is water ride day. We wore our suits, it’s hot and we have FOTL! Let’s go. First we do Jurassic, then Ripsaw The FOTL line at Ripsaw is the only one where we encountered a 20-minute wait, but how long was it for non-FOTL? LOOOONG. And here’s a photo:

RipsawFalls.jpg

Then we do Bilge Rats twice. It’s a walk-on, no wait at all. The great part of this ride is seeing who gets soaked and it’s better if they aren’t expecting it. And the little darlings on the ship gleefully aiming at you. After getting thoroughly soaked we head back to RPR for, what, pool time! Then I walk around RPR and take photos which come next. I feel almost weightless, just wandering around and looking for lovely views.

RPR Outside of Emeril’s place:

RPRWalkway.jpg

RPR grounds by water taxi:

RPRGrounds.jpg

RPR Artwork:

Artwork1.jpg

RPR Artwork 2:

Artwork2.jpg

RPR Courtyard:

RPRCourtyard.jpg

As Jack and I walk to the lounge for appetizers we notice we are missing something.
Oh right, there they are!

RPRClub2.jpg

D14 is the queen of funny faces:

crazy.jpg

Night 4: Appetizers
Warm dish: Asian Terriyaki Wings (yum!)
Cold dish: Potato salad with red bell peppers & chives(?)
Fresh veggies with two dips: ranch & thousand (homemade)
Assorted cheeses and crackers/bread
Fresh tortilla chips with guacamole, sour cream, and salsa.
Wine: a Chardonnay, Sauvingnon Blanc, Pinot Noir, & Cabernet, and Amstel, Corona and domestic choices. Sodas, milk, & water.

After dinner we head back for a last couple rides and that’s all we get because there’s a storm coming up and we want to make it back to the boat before the close the service. One more lovely dessert hour and off to bed for the BREEEP!! 5 a.m. wake-up call. We have a 7 a.m. flight.

Here’s the one sour note of our stay: From our room I called the bell station and asked them for a taxicab. They said give us ten minutes. We went down and they had a non-metered van for us instead, even though there were taxis waiting (even at 5 a.m.). Through my sleepy haze we get in the van and he pulls away. I notice there’s no meter and he says, no meter, it’s a flat rate AND THEN DOESN’T TELL US THE RATE! I say, stop, how much is it? He says $50. I tell him to back up, we’re getting out. He does. As we get out, the woman who made the call for us asks, rather irritated, what’s wrong. I told her we asked for a taxicab and then we got into one of the waiting taxicabs. The fare was $38. The driver told us the RPR lets the others in and they kick back to the front lady. Hmmm. I really don’t know what the situation was, but the lady didn’t want to help us get a regular cab.

So we get to the airport, coffee, wait. Earlier in the TR I told you our daughters have lasers for eyes, and here’s proof:

lasereyes.jpg

If you look really closely at D14's Starbuck's cup, you can see my Vacation Starbuck's Name written on it!

End Notes:

While we were there we mostly observed Universal and the hotel have employees that really just wanted to do a good job. They appreciated a thank you, a please, and patiently answered questions.

One nice thing the RPR employees did: if you came into Tower 3 on the ground floor from the pool and they saw you, they would push the elevator button ahead of you. It didn’t save much time, but it was gracious.

We spent six days in the parks and still didn’t see everything. We never saw Sinbad. We didn’t see the animal show. I never spent time looking at all the details in Suess Landing. For heaven’s sake we never went on One Fish, Two Fish! So, I guess some folks can see two parks in one day, but for us this was a real vacation so pool time was not negotiable.

We checked in Sunday, and as of Tuesday, we hadn’t rec’d our Loews First “gift” -- we had originally chosen wine & nuts, but with Club Lounge access we found that wasn’t necessary. So we switched to the local gift. Wow. It included the following: Spiderman Beach Towel, a pretty white & black shell lei threaded on a cloth ribbon, a big brown & cream spotted shell with Royal Pacific Resort etched into it, two RPR potpourri sachets, an RPR glass bear jar filled with Gummie Bears (Just like the stock market! gummie & bear!), and about two pounds of full-size candy bars. I love the RPR embossed keepsakes.

One day, in the lobby there was employee behind a long wood table with a juices and a metal cocktail shaker. He asked me if I’d like a “something-or-other”, no alcohol, so I said sure. He poured pommegranate and leechee juice in the shaker over rocks, shook it, and then gave me a glass. Did I owe him anything? No! It was just something RPR did to welcome their guests. Lovely.

The friendly folks on this board made preparing for this trip so much easier. Thank YOU for being patient and kind. Some boards can get a little snarky.

We loved, loved, loved the Club Level and found it to be a good deal. If you have questions, please feel free to ask.

Karen

i am sorry your trippie has to end.

i thoroughly enjoyed it.

i have stayed at rph before and adore the glassed in area in the middle of the lobby. so peaceful there isn't.........

your pictures were great!
thanks for sharing your family with us.

sinbad is kewl.
sorry you missed it.

i stay for 5 days and never get to do it all like i want to.

and i go solo..........

Thank you so much for such a great report. DH and I are headed to RPR in November :cool1: and I have been debating whether or not to spring for club level. Your report convinced me! We are not big eaters and the convenience of being able to eat light and the abundance of fresh veggies and fruit (and wine!!) is a real plus for us. I think in the long run, it will save time and $$.

The pictures were wonderful...you have a beautiful family...the girls are gorgeous. Love the funny faces :laughing: . My oldest son, now 27, still makes faces when I get the camera out! Takes two or three shots to get a decent picture!

Have you come back to earth yet, or are you still on that vacation high?:cloud9:

Thank you macraven and ldmilton for your kind comments.

Both my youngest daughter and husband make faces when photographed. When they are together it usually takes two or three tries...

Club Level definitely made our vacation easier. They only have 42 rooms for RPR so if you can get a supersaver rate, like we did, I'd snag it.

Karen

Just wanted to let you know that we also experienced a long wait at Ripsaw. The couple in front of us said the tm at the entrance was talking to a friend and not paying attention as tons of people walked past her into the Express line without being checked for passes. No one was checking passes later in the line, so I guess it was a good deal for some regular ticket people. We also got stopped at the top because someone in the log in front of ours had raised their lap bar. Can you imagine? The tm at the booth kept saying, "Put your lap bar down." They finally did. We tried to ride again later that day and the line was almost as long as the first time. We did manage to do JP & Blutos several times. FOTL is great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter