Why am I back from Vacation TR! Day 1

jakuch

Earning My Ears
Family Vacation -- June 11-19, 2008

Logistics:

Action Figures: Wife, Husband, D16, D14
Locations: Four nights at Homewood Suites Nearest Universal, four nights at Royal Pacific Resort, club level.
Tickets: Wet ‘n’ Wild and Universal

[Thursday, Day 9:
You know the saddest thing ever, don’t you? It’s watching a family check-in to your hotel, all fresh and ready for fun as you sadly check out of what WAS your hotel, wishing somehow you could magically become that new family’s extra child they just discovered. A plane that looks like Jaws is waiting to rip you from your happy hotel and take you back to…. Ziiiipppppp!]

Whew, that was a close one! Let’s get started!

Wednesday, Day 1: Getting There is Half of a Full Day.
We get in a plane. The plane lands in Orlando with us still in it. Goal #1 achieved. We planned to take the Lynx bus #42 to our hotel for $1.50/each but the plane was late and we wanted to get in that pool so… taxi it is and $47 later we are at the Homewood Suites [HS] Nearest Universal. Check-in is pleasant and we have a view of the pool plus a vast dustbowl or mud pit depending on the weather. We learn later that HS is building another wing to the hotel with 2-bedroom suites on top of the dustbowl. We get to the pool, which is okay but a little small. Not to worry, the Hilton Garden Inn across the parking lot has a LOVELY pool with tropical landscaping and a tikki bar and the HS encourages you to use their facilities. So we do. Ahhhhh. Monday-Thursday at Homewood Suites a light dinner and cocktail hour is served included in the room rate. What gets plunked down into the warming pans tonight? Why, it’s Sloppy Joes, rice, rice pudding (I am not kidding, rice for side dish and dessert) and salad sans tomatoes. The two wines are Red and Pink (no white, but the server says strangely that it’s WHITE Zinfindel). The beer is Bud lite.

In case you don’t know, each Homewood Suites (under the Hilton Hotels collection) is independently owned, operated, and must meet minimum standards. Our favorite, in downtown Chicago, sports high end furnishings, comfy beds and high quality food & drink offerings and a somewhat indifferent staff. This HS has a very friendly front desk staff, but an almost surly serving staff. The breakfasts are better, but we are not choosy breakfast eaters. Give me an English muffin and some O.J. and all’s well. One morning though a pan of French Toast sticks was sooo soggy and yucky looking the natives revolted and the “sticks” were taken hurriedly back for some more prep work. So, I’m afraid this one will only get three filled in circles on Tripadvisor. But tell me, folks, where are we? On vacation! Will it get us down? Not if we can find some beer!

After our repast we walk down American Way to International Blvd. and play some Congo River Golf. I swear it was just like being in the Congo, if the Congo were made of concrete and spray paint. Oh, and charged $10.95 ($9.95 with coupon!) a round. BUT, we had a lot of fun goofing off and D14 wanted to come back everyni-- wait, Mom!, look at that, it’s Wet ‘n’ Wild! We’re going, right, right? Yes, dear, we will be going. So we end the evening by walking across Kirkman to the Books-a-million just in time for the daily storm, and this one lasts an hour. I pass the time by reading a book about teen slang and acronyms, and I tell you, I will never get that hour back.

Mom-to-Self: Teens are so shallow these days. I was never that shallow.
Mom-Responding-Self: Yes, dear, you were.
Mom-to-Self: Oh.

We walk to the gas station $3.85/gallon (it’s 4.25 where we live) and buy some beer! Yea! Back in the room we turn on the TV and watch an episo...zzzzzzzzz. Coming up: Thursday, or Day 2: A Much Better Day.

Really good start....I agree the saddest part of vacation is checking out of your room and watching the new excited family checking in...My kids HATE that part :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter