Who has a shed?

amid chaos

DIS Veteran
Tell me about it...size, doors, windows. What would you like to be different about it? Do you have a potting area inside?

Don't have a shed yet but I do want one. As for a potting area... I have the screen deck on the back of the house... Now to convince the wife that that is what is was ment for....

I want a shed that is the focal point of the backyard. A cute cottage type with window boxes.

We have a cute shed. :) It's not large, 8' x 12', but it's so handy. It has a window, and a window box, also a swing attached to it. Kids love it and always want to pretend it's a little house.:) DH built it, and he did a wonderful job! :)
I'll try and post a pic of it next week.

Do you have power to it or do you use a skylight? I want one but don't have power where I want to put it.

Feng shui say don't try to "decorate" a shed, make it cutesy, etc. Good thing because our is an old metal job that came with the house. I would not remove it because a new one costs too much and they don't make the exact size that the concrete pad is anymore anyway. So we painted it to match the house colors (and cover the rust). Now it looks fine! If the back did not already have built structures I would not have placed the shed in the prime corner under the neighbor's oak tree, but we worked with the existing structures (e.g., covered concrete patio on other side of yard, rotten deck and nonworking hot tub next to shed we had to replace last year at large cost).

It is raised 1 1/2 feet off the ground by wooden supports with wood veneer panels covering (the guy who put it in was about 7 feet tall!), and all the wood was completely rotted from wood boring beetles. DH propped up the shed with posts inside and replaced all the wood a side at a time. I said I did not want a squat shed, as the propping up gives us 200 extra cubic feet of vertical storage space. The storage space is *essential*.

The doors stick in the open position so sometimes feral cats like to use it as a den, but that is OK with me; they don't bother anything.

We don' have electricity Nat, other than low voltage lighting from our garden lighting system. :)

We have two sheds. One is metal job we got a number of years ago and the other is a wood one that hubby built from a kit about four years ago (I helped too - :rolleyes: - really!).

Both are used for storage. The metal shed is in the backyard proper and that is where we store the lawn mower, wheelbarrow, bag caddy. The hose caddies go in there for the winter. The pool cover and water blocks go in there in the summer, and there is a large box for storing the pool toys in the winter. Hubby put in metal shelves running along one wall - only about waist height. One side is for lots of gardening stuff - baskets, pottery, potting soil, fertilizers, yard bags, small hand tools, knee pads, etc. The other side is for the pool cover and water blocks during the summer months and in the winter the other stuff just sort of moves over there so tomorrow when we open the pool we will have to rearrange and make room for the cover and water blocks.

The newer, wood shed is at the head of our driveway. It is in an area sort of like a no-man's land. There is a wood fence between it and the driveway and there is a chainlink fence and abovorites on the other side separating it from the pool area. In this area we also store all our gargage cans. This shed stores all the outdoor furniture and the pool's filter during the winter months and we move our bicycles into it during the summer time.

Neither shed has electricity. Neither shed has skylights or windows. The older, metal shed needs a new paint job. Neither shed has a potting area. I do that stuff on the patio or deck and always get mad at myself for making such a mess!

The metal shed is 10x10 with a single door. The door is too low! I always have to duck or I hit my head. :mad: The wood shed is 8x8 and has double doors that are a good height- no head hitting there! :) The wood shed is also high off the ground due to leveling situation. Ramp was to be built but never was but really isn't needed.

Lengthy post but you asked...

I was lucky. When we bought our house 3 yrs ago, there were two existing sheds- one was an old chicken coop and the other an old cow shed. So, my husband gets the garage and I get the sheds (I think he knows that anyway!?!)

Jacquie

What a great question. Just this weekend my DH has "suggested" that we build a shed out back for my "garden stuff"......I'm now hoping to get a big potting area, and maybe a small greenhouse out of the deal....do I want the world????

I think a garden shed will be on my list of "to do"s for next year. I have already expended my $ budget and goodwill budget with DH for this year with my current project. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter