Who can tell me about dirt and grass?

Planogirl

I feel the nerd in me stirring
The problem is that we have a front yard that slopes and at the beginning of the slope is two good size trees. Grass doesn't want to grow under the trees and as a result, dirt is washing away a bit from under them. I've tried to feed and water the grass to urge it to grow there but it hasn't worked. I'm wondering where I could find a good dirt mixture of some kind to fill in the washed out areas and also what kind of grass would grow well under there? Should this grass be in seed form or pallets? And is it the wrong time of year like I suspect? :)

We're in north Texas and my husband thinks that we have Bermuda grass which has poor shade tolerance from what I've been told. I'm thinking of trying St Augustine even though it dies easily.

Any thoughts?

Fescue is a good shade-tolerant grass. A nice ground-cover plant might also work well. A ground-covering phlox might really do well and it will bloom.

Thanks for the advice. I never thought about a ground cover but that could be real attractive. I guess that I'd better go talk to someone at a good nursery. :)

I'm not sure what would work in TX.The ground cover sounds like a good. I'd ride around your area and take notes and pics of similar situations. It would give you an idea of what works and what doesn't in your part of the country.
Just my .02

Pictures are a good idea. I noticed when I went for a walk today that some people have created a large area of ground cover around their trees but I was wondering what kind of plant they were using. I need something that can cling well to a slope.

Thanks! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter