Which lens for a beginner?

pooh'smate

Stuck in the Middle
I was recently gifted the body of a Nikon D200. Which lens would be a good lens for a beginner?

If you want to learn photography... get a 35/1.8 or 50/1.8. It will force you to learn composition while also maximizing the capabilities of the camera. It’s a very old camera but would still be a great instrument for learning the basics.

If you want to learn photography... get a 35/1.8 or 50/1.8. It will force you to learn composition while also maximizing the capabilities of the camera. It’s a very old camera but would still be a great instrument for learning the basics.

It is old but I want to learn and my brother bought a new camera and passed his on to me. I have had it about a year and want to learn.

My first lens was the 18-200mm SuperZoom. While not the best image quality.... it's the most practical for a beginner who does not like to do lens swaps.

Do not mean to be cute but try to figure out what you want to photograph. That will help you figure out the type of lens, wide angle or standard or zoom. Then go buy the best quality lens you can afford. You can do much more with a 1.8 or 1.4 lens over a 3.5. Then go shot as much as you can and pay attention to the settings when you shoot to understand what settings give you what results. The D200 is a great camera. Do not consider it old. I have a 24x36 picture of the Castle hanging in my office that was shot with a 5mp D70. I have owned a D200 and it is a great camera!

Good shooting!

Do not mean to be cute but try to figure out what you want to photograph. That will help you figure out the type of lens, wide angle or standard or zoom. Then go buy the best quality lens you can afford. You can do much more with a 1.8 or 1.4 lens over a 3.5. Then go shot as much as you can and pay attention to the settings when you shoot to understand what settings give you what results. The D200 is a great camera. Do not consider it old. I have a 24x36 picture of the Castle hanging in my office that was shot with a 5mp D70. I have owned a D200 and it is a great camera!

Good shooting!

Thank you. I am going to be looking for a ens when we get our tax return back. I will have to think about it. I do know that it is 10 mp

I'll join the super-zoom club. Go to bhphotovideo.com and check the used section for some great prices.
  • The 18-200 Nikkor lens with image stabilization is well under $300. They really are not the greatest optics but they're not bad either and the flexibility of that zoom range is great to have.
  • Then you want a non-zoom with the most open minimum aperture you can get. There's a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 for about $220 or with f/1.8 for $170. Getting the aperture wide open will let you shoot better dark rides and also give you that great blurry background while subject is in focus effect.
  • I'm actually not a huge fan of the 50mm lens for general use on a camera like yours. It's sensor is sized so that the 50mm lens behaves more like an 80-somethingmm lens would on a film camera... which is a little more 'up close' than I usually need for shooting people. A 28mm lens makes a better 'standard' lens for a camera with an aps-c sized sensor.
You should be able to handle most any vacation with 2 lenses.

I agree with a zoom but the biggest thing is shoot, shoot, shoot. There is no better way to learn your camera than just plain using it. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter