Which flight should I take?

Which flight should I take?

• Total voters

EACarlson

DIS Veteran
Have two flights booked for tomorrow and not sure which one I should take. Travelling MKE-MCO for work, need to be there tomorrow. Currently have booked a Delta flight MKE-ATL-MCO leaving at 0545 getting into MCO at noon. Also have booked a SW nonstop scheduled for 0705 getting in at 1100. Today's version of the SW flight has been cancelled and I can't figure out why. It's now been cancelled 3 of the last 5 days. The plane for the SW flight is supposed to be coming in from MCO at approximately 2200 tonight. Which flight would you all take?

With the Southwest flight being nonstop and also the first flight of the day for that aircraft, the likelihood of it being delayed is slim and you don’t have to worry about making a connection in the event that the first flight is delayed.
The flight could have been cancelled due to crew call-outs or low sales. You never know.

Today's SW flight was cancelled because the plane never made it to MKE. It was at MCO yesterday and was pulled to fly to PVD last night instead of MKE. I think I'll hold off on a decision until I see if the plane is making it to MKE tonight.

I prefer Delta, BUT...
Delta would mean leaving an hour earlier, getting in an hour later, and having a connection. Based on all of that, I would select SW.

BUT, as you mentioned, 3/5 of the last flights have been cancelled w/SW. That gives me concern. Waiting until 11p to know if a plane makes it in when I'd presumably need to be up at 4a the next day gives me concern.

You don't mention the cost difference (if any). Are you "chasing" status on Delta? Those items might lead me back to Delta.

At first glance, SW sounds like the best bet (non-stop), but they have a history of unreliability during weather (especially winter) events. They had to pay a large fine a year or so ago.

Personally, I would stick with Delta. No airline is perfect and flying this time of the year can be an exasperating experience. I would have a higher comfort level with Delta in this instance.

I prefer Delta, BUT...
Delta would mean leaving an hour earlier, getting in an hour later, and having a connection. Based on all of that, I would select SW.

BUT, as you mentioned, 3/5 of the last flights have been cancelled w/SW. That gives me concern. Waiting until 11p to know if a plane makes it in when I'd presumably need to be up at 4a the next day gives me concern.

You don't mention the cost difference (if any). Are you "chasing" status on Delta? Those items might lead me back to Delta.
Both flights were booked on points. The only cash outlay was for EBCI on SW. Not going to have enough travel to get status on either. Points cost was half the price for SW compared to Delta.
SW swapped planes on the schedule to a plane that's already at MKE, based on that I cancelled my Delta flight. Hopefully it takes off at least close to on time.

Both flights were booked on points. The only cash outlay was for EBCI on SW. Not going to have enough travel to get status on either. Points cost was half the price for SW compared to Delta.
SW swapped planes on the schedule to a plane that's already at MKE, based on that I cancelled my Delta flight. Hopefully it takes off at least close to on time.
How did you find out they swapped planes? The only thing I'm aware of is Flight Aware's "Track Inbound Plane" (something like that). I've seen similar on Delta's app, but not all the time.

How did you find out they swapped planes? The only thing I'm aware of is Flight Aware's "Track Inbound Plane" (something like that). I've seen similar on Delta's app, but not all the time.
It could’ve shown up on the app or he could’ve asked. I’m loyal to delta so I’d always go with them, even with connection.

this thread has me concerned also as we leave on the same flight on tues the 23

anyways I have flightaware on my phone and like to watch the status of our flight
however I havent used it in a year and now I cant find how i can see our flight
I know its to early for next tues but I do like seeing how things are moving along

now I just downloaded something but you have to pay for it
it doenst look like the app the last time I used it
it was so easy then
could someone please tell me where I need to go with this
thanks
hope OP got off ok

In flight aware, you do a search by flight number. Put in the airline & flight number.
1705549843997.png
You should be able to see today, tomorrow, perhaps the next day, and a number of days (7?) in the past.
1705549870905.png
Then click on the flight you want (look at the departure time). Airlines will reuse the same flight number usually at least daily (if flight 1234 goes from MCO>ORD at 12:45P Wednesday, it will PROBABLY go from MCO>ORD at 12:45P Thursday). I've also seen the same flight numbers go back and forth between two airports multiple times a day.

Once you click into the actual flight, you should get a "track inbound plane".
1705549903655.png

NOTE: All images are from the Web version of Flight Aware, but the app is very similar.

Thanks for the great reply.
However in the app when I open it all I get is a map
Where woukd I find what your talking about
I remember exactly that’s how it worked last year now it seems all different
Thanks

Found what I was looking for
I thought to try the actual website
Instead of the app
Thanks for the help

Thanks for the great reply.
However in the app when I open it all I get is a map
Where woukd I find what your talking about
I remember exactly that’s how it worked last year now it seems all different
Thanks
In the app, hit the "hamburger" (three horizontal lines) icon in the upper left. That brings up a menu.
Select "Search".
At the top of the screen, you can search by flight number, tail number, routes, or airports. I suggest "flight number". Put in your airline and flight number. Click on the flight you're looking for.

This can be handy while at the airport.

From FlightRadar24. You search your flight number, then click on aircraft info and it shows the last weeks flights and what is scheduled for that plane. I had looked previously and it was supposed to be a plane flying MCO-MKE Tuesday night, then I looked later and it showed a plane that flew HOU-MKE on Monday night, was supposed to fly MKE-DCA on Tuesday and had been sitting at MKE since.

My flight took off with only a slight hitch, some jetbridge issues meant we had to move gates, and the baggage handlers dropped some poor woman's bag and it broke open on the tarmac, so we were delayed a couple minutes while the baggage handlers repacked this woman's suitcase. I'm sure she didn't want half the plane to see what underwear she had packed for FL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter