Which beach near DL?

CSS1996

Mouseketeer
We will be at DL then going to San Diego. Which beach would be the best for young kids and do you know where I can find directions to it, etc.

We were just at DL and on our first day drove about 20min straight down S. Harbour Blvd and went to Newport Beach - went out to Balboa and the bpys had an amazing time running into the waves. - LOTS of beach, pretty uncrowded, easy to get to - and very beautiful.

Here is some beach info:

http://www.beachcalifornia.com/sitelist.html

Newport Beach as recommended earlier is good choice if near DLR. Also Huntington among others.

If in San Diego, I like La Jolla Shores and Mission Beach for families. If in northern SD the beaches around Oceanside and Carlsbad are also nice.

HydroGuy -
Do you recc. Jolla Shores or Mission Bay over Coronado? We are debating on whether to stay the Hotel Del coronado with our girls or the Hyatt at Mission Bay or somewhere in La Jolla?

HydroGuy -
Do you recc. Jolla Shores or Mission Bay over Coronado? We are debating on whether to stay the Hotel Del coronado with our girls or the Hyatt at Mission Bay or somewhere in La Jolla?
People who live in SD tend not to go to Coronado because it is so hard to get to. It is across a bridge (that you have to pay for) and then across the island. I only ever went once when I lived there. And have been there once since. Frankly I did not care for the beach there. I think people who go to the beach there either live there on the island or are vacationing. If you want to stay there at the Hotel Del then that is the place to go. I do not want to come out and say don't do it. Some people really like it.

As for Mission Beach, I like that better. La Jolla too. We stayed three nights at Mission Beach last year and did SW one day and a full beach day the other. It was a nice experience.

For me personally I would not do Coronado. But not because it is horrible or anything. I just like Mission Beach and La Jolla better and think there are more things to do there. :)

From what I have heard Mission Bay/Beach is THE place to play & stay in SD.

I don't remember having to pay to go across the Coronado bridge, but it is a bit inaccessible if you plan to do a lot in San Diego proper. I'd treat Coronado more like an all-inclusive resort -- great for atmosphere and for relaxing in one main place.

We stayed on the east side of Mission Bay, kind of north of Sea World. It was fairly freeway-accessible, but not too busy. Our condo building was right on the sand. The waters of Mission Bay are pretty calm for smaller kids, and usually a bit warmer than the ocean side.

For OC beaches, I love Huntington for its openness and "Surf City" vibe, also Newport/Balboa for great people watching/shopping etc. Balboa peninsula has a little amusement zone near the end with a carousel and a Ferris wheel, plus a cheap ferry over to Balboa Island. Great to walk out on the piers or have a meal on the end at Ruby's.

PHXscuba

Today we drove up the coast from Legoland to LAX. There was a beautiful beach in Laguna that I would like to go to again. And we stopped at Huntington - but found it way to big and *urban* - although very California beach-ish. I like the Newport Beach - Balboa peninsula one the best

We're thinking of going to SD next year and I was planning on staying at Loews Coronado Bay, however if Coronado is too far from SD attractions, what hotels would you recommend say in Mission Bay or La Jolla? I would like one on/near (walking distance) the beach and somewhat upscale or family friendly. Any suggestions? :confused3

We're thinking of going to SD next year and I was planning on staying at Loews Coronado Bay, however if Coronado is too far from SD attractions, what hotels would you recommend say in Mission Bay or La Jolla? I would like one on/near (walking distance) the beach and somewhat upscale or family friendly. Any suggestions? :confused3
First Coronado is not that far from SD attractions. It depends on what you want. It is out of the mainstream of SD geographically but only a few miles to the Zoo and SW in reality.

I do not know what hotels to recommend. When we visited MB last summer we stayed at a beach house for three nights. So can't help there. Hopefully someone else can offer some advice.

Hydroguy - Thanks, I didn't think Coronado was too far from SD attractions. In fact I think I'd rather be a little removed from the actual city and be able to hang on the beach a bit. As long as the Zoo and other places are within a decent driveable distance, it should be fine. Plus alot of the hotels are expensive and the Loews seemed to have decent deals that they run.

Thanks again.

my sister stayed at the Marriot Residence Inn at Mission Bay & LOVED it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter