Where To Stay With Two Old People

MikeWazowski

DIS Veteran
Well, I think on my next trip in January 2004 my family will include to other family member, my grandparents. We really want to take them because they have not been there in a long time now and know that they would really enjoy it again.

We are thinking about staying at AKL, but one of the monorail resorts might be better. Both of my grandparents can probably walk alot longer then me, but it's better if they don't have to get all worked up.

What Do You think???

On our most recent trip with our children's grandparents, who are now in their 70s but in great shape, we stayed at the VWL. This resort worked well for us because the hotel's amenities were contained within a relatively small area and we had access to the rest of WDW with busses and boats. We also had a car which was helpful for going from resort to resort.

I think AKL would work well for you since it's similar to WL. The bus transportation makes it easy to get to the parks and back. Just staying on WDW property makes it easier since the transportation allows any member of your party to return to the resort separately from the rest of you.

HTH!

I just hope my grandchildren don't call my husband and and I "old people"!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

It's funny because my grandparents are in thre late 70's and talk about themselves like there teenagers. They actually complain about old people.

Hi Mike!

Well, when I brought along my two "old people" :) , we stayed in the French Quarter because of its small size--it was very easy for them to manage. I'm sure any of the monorail resorts would be great--it's just a matter of themeing to choose between them. Have you stayed at WL? I think that would be great also because of the boat transportation, and the busses actually utilize the TTC a lot so you can get off there and hop on the monorail for Epcot. The overall atmosphere at WL is really calm and relaxing--they might enjoy that. Don't forget the Epcot resorts too! You can boat your way over to Epcot and the Studios from Y/BC or take a short walk over. So many choices! Let us know what you decide!

--Maren!

We're taking our very old (since we're already old, they must be very old) parents (83 and 84) to the Poly . The monorail access is great and if they don't feel like hitting the parks they love to just sit and soak up the Poly ambiance. Plus the Poly has a lot of handicap rooms for Mom. Sounds like yours don't need that feature. Count your blessings. We're just happy to still have Mom around.

Mike, Last August I took my mom with DS and me. She is in her late 70s and has cancer. For that reason I chose to splurge the extra money on the Poly. I got a wheelchair for her (no charge!) from the Poly guest services. It was so nice to be able to hop on the monorail to get back to the resort if she got tired. I told DS not to get used to this (The Poly) because if he wanted to continue to come back every year it was back to the budgets for us!:jester: Mom had a wonderful time! She had not been since 1972! Here, at home, she always gets her hair done on Friday mornings so I made a hair appt for her over at the GF beauty shop during our week there. I think she felt like a princess all week! I love to hear about others taking their parents and grandparents! :D Have a wonderful time!!!

TC:cool:

Last February we took my parents, 70's, both of whom are ill. We stayed at the CR and it was great. It was easy for them to leave the parks when they were tired. Since Mom would have a hard time handling crowds, we also did an illuminations cruise. It was unbelievable.

If you are going in the summer, I think the heat would play a factor in which resort you stay in. A monorail resort would definitely be easier.

We stayed at the Poly with my kids and parents last year. It was a great choice because when my folks got tired at the MK, they just hopped on the monorail and went back to the hotel to rest by the pool. Personally, I think it was the mai tais calling them to the pool. :D

My parents are both senior citizens and enjoy Old Key West very much!!! The studios and 1 or 2 bedrooms are very spacious and have a nice large deck. If they want to take time off from the parks it is the perfect place!!!:Pinkbounc

Hey, my "old people" take us to Disney.

They are DVC'ers at OKW. I think a DVC unit is the way to go.

herc.

The Poly would be my first choice although we have stayed at the CBR with my parents and they have done okay but they tend to be more isolated there. The best thing about the Poly is that the grounds and so comfortable to walk around and they love the Kona Cafe and the little coffee shop outside of the Kona. The monorail makes life a lot easier and the boats are a fun alternative. The biggest problem we have is with my mother who is 80. She can't walk very far and won't use a motorized chair. The walks into the parks are quite difficult for her and by the time she gets in she is pooped. By cugtting down on the extra walking with the monorail or the boats she seems to do much better. Also going when it is not so hot helps a lot. They like to sit and watch the electrical parade and the fireworks from the hotel and the great grandbabies in the pool. If you stay at another resort, try to get a room as close to the action and bus lines as is possible. It makes a big difference in their ability to enjoy things more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter