Where to stay the first night...sshhh its a suprise!

eeyorepatty

Earning My Ears
Here is my new delemia:
We are suprising our DS's with this trip--they think we are going to the panhandle to visit "old" friends. Now we will be driving down from the Atlanta area and we are trying to figure out where to stay the first night before we check into Animal Kingdom. (thought it was silly to pay the $149 and check in after 5pm on a Sunday night) We were thinking Clermont area, hoping it was not all Disney Hype. We really want to suprise them in the morning as we pull on to Disney property. Does anyone have ideas? Should we just go stay in Orlando? HELP PLEASE this is my final plan I need to make, the trip is 3 weeks away. : :bounce: :bounce: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :bounce: :bounce:

Are they old enough to know they will be in Orlando? because you can stay somewhere on Rt.27 then go up the back way on 192 to the AKL. Although Cleremont might be the closet town to stay in that has a hotel, so that might work out just fine!

They are 7 and 10, that is one of my problems, I think they will figure it out if we stay in Orlando.

How about Ocala? It has silver springs - so you can act like that is the trip.

If you come in the back way - US 27 and US 192 you are in Kissimmee not Orlando - there are a bunch of cheap hotels - plus this way the signs to WDW are at a limit - but they would probably still see them.

They eventually will see Orlando signs as you approach (and maybe WAY ahead of time). I lived in Gainesville for three years and it's about 1 and a half to two hours from Disney (right off of I-75. There are some places right off the highway to stay (about 3 exits worth). Do they know that your "friends" live no where near Orlando??? What I mean is that I live in south Fl , over 200 miles from Orlando, but guess what the sign says when I get on to the turnpike heading North ? You guessed it!

Hi Eeyorpatty
this will be of absolutely no help in your dilemma.............
but my 13 year old was reading your post and remarked that he thought it was sad, as one of the best things about going to Disney is looking forward to it.
I tend to agree that the excitement and build up is all part of the fun.
However, I'm sure you'll all have a wonderful time. Not been to AKL but it sounds really good

cheers
Bridd

The more I thought about your dilemma, the more I'm thinking that if you can swing it, you should drive straight to AKL!! You may get more than you bargained for, getting sidetracked somewhere else. As you get close to Orlando you could make up some guessing game to play-with animals. Maybe hangman ... and then have the last answer be... "We're going to Animal Kingdom Lodge". Imagine pulling up to the Lodge and not having to run off to any park. Enjoy a wonderful diiner at Jiko, Boma, or Mara, and then walk around and soak it all in. Don't forget the storyteller!!!

Thank you all for the wonderful information, we have made a reservation in Davenport FL. We will be coming in late and spending $40.00 a night compared to 150 was much better. We figure that the kids may figure it out, but then again they may not. We have a tv/vcr in our van and we do plan on bringing a few movies they really want to see, so maybe this will keep their eyes off the road! Which ever way it turns out it will be great just to see the expressions on their faces when we say Here we are or We are going to ------DISNEY!

Have a great time!!!!! Wish I could keep a secret from my 4yoDS. He already knows about our trip in May...

What a terrific idea you have. maybe you can secretly pack the WDW vacation video and slip it into the VCR before you arrive there. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter