Where to stay in San Diego

Rubygoose

Everybody's got a laughing place
Planning a 7 (or 8) day trip to Disneyland, and thinking of flying into San Diego and starting our trip there. I think we'll probably do 4 full days in Disneyland at the end of our trip. Our flight will get in at 1, and then we'll either do half a day at the zoo or lego land or just relax on the beach. Any suggestions of where to stay with a 6 year old and a 3 year old? We'd like to be walking distance to a beach, but don't want to spend a lot of money on this leg of the trip. Also, we likely won't be renting a car, so we'd need something easy to get to by taxi/shuttle.

Can you just clarify your plans a bit more? You say you're doing a 7 or 8 day trip but only 4 at Disneyland. Do you intend to stay in San Diego for the rest? I'm just trying to figure out my recommendations to you. The zoo is a full-day park so I wouldn't do that on the day you arrive (especially since it closes at 5), an Legoland is about 45 minutes north of the airport, so you definitely don't want to do that on your half day!

Probably flying in to San Diego on July 16th or 17th (this day is flexible) and flying out of SNA on Tuesday July 23rd (found a good flight using miles from Alaska airlines, so this day is not flexible.) We'll likely take Amtrak up to Anaheim on the 18th in the afternoon/early evening. So we'd be staying in San Diego for the night of the 16th and the 17th. Then arrive in Disneyland on the 18th in the evening and be in Disneyland for the 19-22nd.

If we did Lego Land on the 17th, would we have enough time to do the Zoo on the 18th before heading up to Anaheim? (We've been to Sea World before, so will probably skip it this trip.)

Probably flying in to San Diego on July 16th or 17th (this day is flexible) and flying out of SNA on Tuesday July 23rd (found a good flight using miles from Alaska airlines, so this day is not flexible.) We'll likely take Amtrak up to Anaheim on the 18th in the afternoon/early evening. So we'd be staying in San Diego for the night of the 16th and the 17th. Then arrive in Disneyland on the 18th in the evening and be in Disneyland for the 19-22nd.

If we did Lego Land on the 17th, would we have enough time to do the Zoo on the 18th before heading up to Anaheim? (We've been to Sea World before, so will probably skip it this trip.)

Ahh okay. Well, first of all knowing that you're going in July, the zoo will be open later in the summer so it won't close at 5.

I'm guessing if you're doing Amtrak then you won't have a rental car? In that case I'm not sure how you plan to get to Legoland unless you book some type of trip through your hotel? As I mentioned it's about 45 minutes away from the rest of San Diego. For hotels near the zoo, look into the Hotel Circle area. If you want beach, look into Mission Beach/Bay.

We are doing something similar, and I have chosen to stay at The Dana at Mission Bay. We will fly into SD, and the Dana will pick us up for a small fee. Once there, we can walk or free shuttle to Sea World, and walk or bike to Mission Beach. There is also Mission Bay Park right there with marina and bike rentals right by the hotel. I figure that all will be enough to keep us entertained for 2.5 days. Then the hotel will shuttle us to Amtrak for a small fee.

There is also a bus stop outside the hotel you could use, but we don't plan to, so I haven't looked into it much. It might get you to the zoo, or maybe a taxi would work.

Now if you aren't interested in Sea World, this may not be your best bet. Our priorities were SW, beach, and no car, and this fits the bill.

Mind you, we haven't actually done this, it is just a plan, so I can't speak to how well it will work! There are other hotels with free shuttles to SW and the Zoo, but I haven't researched any that are walking distance to a beach.

Another great place to post this is the San Diego forum on Tripadvisor.com.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter