Where the magic lives! An August solo dining adventure! Final thoughts and cost analysis 11/12.

We haven't been to BoG in a while, but the french onion soup is always on my list. Between all the cheese and the onions I didn't even miss the beef stock :-)

We, too, enjoy Jiko a lot. And Sanaa has exceptional food, too, with much better prices. Between those two, the Boathouse, and Tiffins, already loving the focus of the report.

We haven't been to BoG in a while, but the french onion soup is always on my list. Between all the cheese and the onions I didn't even miss the beef stock :-)
The cheese was heavenly but it was so rich I wasn't hungry until dinner at 8 pm! Of course, I had room for a beverage though........

We, too, enjoy Jiko a lot. And Sanaa has exceptional food, too, with much better prices. Between those two, the Boathouse, and Tiffins, already loving the focus of the report.
Jiko and Sanaa stayed on the list but there were some changes to my Boathouse and Tiffins plans. I did enjoy the alternatives though. Thanks for joining in with my report! :)

I'm a little late to the party but joining in!

the Coco-Jito. This was so delicious with the combo of lime, coconut rum and mint. Mmmm!

That looks delish. Love me some rum drinks.

Nasser brought over the awesome dinner rolls with honey spiced whipped butter. These were excellent and the butter was out of this world!

OMG that sounds like something you could make a meal of in itself.

Looks like you had a great first day, can't beat BOG lunch! Also love the Cheshire cafe...always good things to be had there!

I'm a little late to the party but joining in
:welcome:, glad you're here!

OMG that sounds like something you could make a meal of in itself.
I know! I only ate one as I wanted to pace myself for all the yumminess to come!

Looks like you had a great first day, can't beat BOG lunch! Also love the Cheshire cafe...always good things to be had there!
Yes, so glad I finally had lunch at BOG. The raspberry lemonade slushy was so, so good!

Great reviews so far!
Thank you! So nice to have you along! :)

Enjoying your report so far!!

I did my first solo trip in May, also at AKL, and I'm excited to relive a little of it through your report! My one regret is that I didn't do more TS dining. I did a few things, but got tired of QS! The Mara was great though, and I'm glad I had it to balance out some of the not-so-great in-park QS.

Looking forward to more!

Time to head off to Epcot! After enjoying a ride through history on Spaceship Earth, it was time to head over to Mexico and watch the Mariachi band. There is only one thing you need to appreciate a Mariachi band and that is a perfectly delicious margarita! I popped into the small booth set up outside the pavilion and ordered the Cucumber Lime margarita. While this was pre-made, it was delicious and strong!
IMG_0593.JPG
The flavours were excellent....subtle cucumber and bright lime paired with the spicy and salty rim. So good!

After enjoying FEA and taking in the acrobat show in China, I strolled over towards Morocco for my first ever dinner at Spice Road Table. I had asked if I could be seated with a window view and had a great table with a perfect view for Illuminations. My waiter was new to the restaurants, in fact it was only his 4th day working for Disney! He was very attentive though and was quick to bring over ice water with lemon while I looked over the menu. I decided to go with the Spice Road white wine flight for a beverage and the Mediterranean vegetable platter for dinner.
IMG_0600.JPG
These were about 2-3 oz pours. Starting from the left was the Moroccan Ksar white, followed by a Spanish La Cava and then finally the Lebanese Ksara Blanc de Blanc. My favourite was the Lebanese wine as it was a little more full bodied with a nice fruity finish. My only complaint would be that the wine wasn't really cold, although that may be a personal preference on my part as I like my white wine well chilled.

Next up was the Mediterranean vegetable platter. This was composed of stuffed grape vine leaves, toasted pita bread, baba ghanoush, harissa fries and couscous salad.
IMG_0602.JPG
My favourites on the platter were the stuffed grape vine leaves and the couscous salad. Both were just bursting with flavour. I didn't care for the harissa fries as they were very dry and didn't have much flavour. These could have been so much better. The baba ghanoush was creamy with a nice tomato and onion topping. I would have like more of a smoky flavour to this though. The pita was nicely seasoned with parsley and served warm. I felt the presentation was really lacking with this platter, it feels like a plate you would set out for a toddler with everything compartmentalized. I'm glad I tried it but I don't know if it's something I would order again.

The view for Illuminations was perfect and they lowered the lights and piped in the music. It was really beautiful. Overall, this was a really nice experience. :)

So happy at the end of a perfect day!
IMG_1193.JPG
Total for today:
Banana at the Mara: $1.80
Raspberry slushie at Cheshire Cat Cafe: $4.99
French onion soup and grey stuff at BOG: $12.23
Cucumber Lime Margarita: $14.25
Mediterranean Vegetable platter at Spice Road Table: $22.99
White wine flight at Spice Road Table: $14.99

Food total:$42.01
Alcohol total:$29.24
Savings vs using DDP ~ $69.35-$42.01=$27.34

Last edited:
Enjoying your report so far!!

I did my first solo trip in May, also at AKL, and I'm excited to relive a little of it through your report! My one regret is that I didn't do more TS dining. I did a few things, but got tired of QS! The Mara was great though, and I'm glad I had it to balance out some of the not-so-great in-park QS.

Looking forward to more!
Thanks for joining in! I was inspired to do a TR based on your solo TR from AKL. I just loved the resort and of course, the Mara was great with lots of good options. I ended up cancelling or moving around some of my TS plans to suit my touring schedule but overall I was pretty pleased with how everything worked out.

Thanks for joining in! I was inspired to do a TR based on your solo TR from AKL. I just loved the resort and of course, the Mara was great with lots of good options. I ended up cancelling or moving around some of my TS plans to suit my touring schedule but overall I was pretty pleased with how everything worked out.

I'm so glad you decided to write this, because I need to live vicariously through your dining, LOL!! I recognized your user name after I posted and then got excited all over again b/c I remembered you from my TR and was excited to hear how everything went.

ordered the Cucumber Lime margarita. While this was pre-made, it was delicious and strong!

That looked really good!! I don't think I would have thought to order that but the way you described it I actually want one next time!

I had asked if I could be seated with a window view and had a great table with a perfect view for Illuminations.

Your lucky day!! The dinner looked good too. Glad it all worked out well for you.

Also thanks for thoroughly sharing the details about the cost vs the DDP because I always knew it wasn't for me, but you are further reinforcing that I don't eat the way the DDP works for some people.

Also thanks for thoroughly sharing the details about the cost vs the DDP because I always knew it wasn't for me, but you are further reinforcing that I don't eat the way the DDP works for some people.
I know, right??? I had 2 snacks, a CS meal and a TS meal and still came out $27.00 ahead of what it would have cost me with the DDP. The only way I would have come close to the cost would have been if I drank pop (which I don't like) and had dessert at the end of the meal. While I do enjoy sweets, I often want a little break between my meal and a treat.

I didn't care for the harissa fries as they were very dry and didn't have much flavour. These could have been so much better.
I'm glad you liked your food. It looks great. I think I had tried these harissa fries when I went to the food and wine last year and felt the same that they were dry without much flavor.

I know, right??? I had 2 snacks, a CS meal and a TS meal and still came out $27.00 ahead of what it would have cost me with the DDP. The only way I would have come close to the cost would have been if I drank pop (which I don't like) and had dessert at the end of the meal. While I do enjoy sweets, I often want a little break between my meal and a treat.
It took us a time to realize that when we eat like we do at home, then the dining plan doesn't do us any good and, in fact, cost us money. We haven't used it for several years now.

I'm back and love your dining report so far, we tried SRT a couple years ago and we enjoyed the lamb sliders and calamari there! It was very nice to meet you, I am sorry I was dreadfully sweaty and tired! I hope your last couple days were awesome, we had a great trip. I am going to try and write a trip report with my dining included!

I'm glad you liked your food. It looks great. I think I had tried these harissa fries when I went to the food and wine last year and felt the same that they were dry without much flavor.
Yes, Could have eaten my weight in the couscous salad and stuffed grape vine leaves.....they were both so yummy!

It took us a time to realize that when we eat like we do at home, then the dining plan doesn't do us any good and, in fact, cost us money. We haven't used it for several years now.
Yes, we feel exactly the same way! Even on family trips with our three teenage boys we still go OOP. We eat extremely well and last trip saved $568 over using the DDP.

I'm back and love your dining report so far, we tried SRT a couple years ago and we enjoyed the lamb sliders and calamari there! It was very nice to meet you, I am sorry I was dreadfully sweaty and tired! I hope your last couple days were awesome, we had a great trip. I am going to try and write a trip report with my dining included!
You were probably tired but you looked fresh as can be. It was so nice to meet you and I cannot wait to hear all about your trip!

Time for a super fun 4 parks/1 day challenge! I started off the morning with a peaceful breakfast and coffee on my balcony enjoying the view. I mean, how could you ever get tired of this??
IMG_0634.JPG
Soon I was packing my park bag and getting ready to head off to my first park of the day! Time for fun at Animal Kingdom! I never tire of the beautiful Tree of Life.
IMG_0606.JPG
After walking around the trails, meeting Devine and enjoying some time at Rafiki's Planet watch, I was getting a little peckish. It was almost time for my FP for Festival of the Lion King so I thought I'd pick up something small that I could munch on during the show. I decided to go with the Cinnamon Glazed Almonds from one of the treat carts in Africa.
IMG_0610.JPG
To be honest, I was disappointed with these. There was so much sugar in the coating you couldn't even taste the cinnamon. I was hoping for more of a savoury snack but these were way, way too sweet. I ate about 1/2 before giving up on them. Oh well!

After the show I headed down to Pandora for the first time. I love the level of detail that went into this land. It truly is spectacular. My plan for lunch today was Satu'li Canteen. Again, perfect theming was evident throughout.
IMG_0633.JPG
After perusing the menu, I decided to go for the Steamed vegetable curry pods with vegetable chips and vegetable slaw. The curry flavour was delicious with the slightly sweet and soft bun. I would have preferred a higher vegetable to bun ratio as I did find the buns a bit doughy. I ended up just scooping the veggies out of the second bun and ate them separately. I got about one tablespoon of the vegetable slaw which was yummy but a very skimpy portion. There were a ton of the vegetable chips. The purple (beet?) and orange (sweet potato?) were so good but the plain ones tasted like cardboard. I think I'll go for one of the bowls on my next visit here. I love all the options here and think it is a wonderful addition to Animal Kingdom.
IMG_0630.JPG
It was a fabulous morning and I was excited to see what the rest of the day would bring! Now it was time to head back to AKL for a rest and a swim before getting ready to head out to Hollywood Studios!

Last edited:
img_0593-jpg.266932

The flavours were excellent....subtle cucumber and bright lime paired with the spicy and salty rim. So good!
What a great way to welcome yourself to Epcot:-) Is this from the new margarita pavilion. I remember talk of them putting in a new one, but don't recall ever hearing that it had come to fruition.

img_0600-jpg.266941

These were about 2-3 oz pours. Starting from the left was the Moroccan Ksar white, followed by a Spanish La Cava and then finally the Lebanese Ksara Blanc de Blanc. My favourite was the Lebanese wine as it was a little more full bodied with a nice fruity finish. My only complaint would be that the wine wasn't really cold, although that may be a personal preference on my part as I like my white wine well chilled.
I had to do a double take as I thought this was a water flight at first from the color of the wine :P Glad to see they are serving some actual authentic wines from the region though.

The fries aside, this looks great. When we do middle eastern or indian food I almost always go vegetarian as it seems to be better. Good to hear spice road is continuing that tradition. We'll definitely have to give it a go one day

After perusing the menu, I decided to go for the Steamed vegetable curry pods with vegetable chips and vegetable slaw. The curry flavour was delicious with the slightly sweet and soft bun. I would have preferred a higher vegetable to bun ratio as I did find the buns a bit doughy. I ended up just scooping the veggies out of the second bun and ate them separately. I got about one tablespoon of the vegetable slaw which was yummy but a very skimpy portion. There were a ton of the vegetable chips. The purple (beet?) and orange (sweet potato?) were so good but the plain ones tasted like cardboard. I think I'll go for one of the bowls on my next visit here. I love all the options here and think it is a wonderful addition to Animal Kingdom.
img_0630-jpg.268131
I've only ever seen reviews of the burger buns so good to hear the veggies are good too. Though strange the portion size was so far off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter