Wheelchair charge

Should wheelchair charge be included in ticket price?

• Yes. Handicapped people should not have to worry about bringing their own wheelchair

• No. Handicapped people are responsible to bring their own wheelchair

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clarification it is not Sophia who has the disability. Lauren is 29 years olds and has HSP(hereditary spastic paraplegic)

So how did Lauren who is paraplegic get on the bus? Did she leave her personal wheelchair at the bus stop? I would never rely on a company to provide for my disabled relative’s needs. I would research and make sure their needs were provided for even if it costs me a few dollars.

Last edited:
When my family and I arrive to Disney's Animal Kingdom to celebrate Sophia's 5th birthday we were all filled with joy and excitement. I got off the bus to quickly try to find a wheelchair for Lauren(Sophia's Mother). There was one wheelchair there at said complimentary wheelchair to the park. So I grabbed and then headed through security and the gate to enter the park. The guy at the gate said you can exchange your wheelchair over there and pointed to his right. I thought to myself that was really odd and that the wheelchair she was in was fine so we just continued through the park. About 20 minutes later one of the park workers comes up to me and says sharply you're not supposed to have this wheelchair. He explained to me that this was just a wheelchair to get to the park entrance and that we had to rent a wheelchair from the resort. I was speechless... I was finally able to muster some words by asking him if this was some kind of sick joke as I looked around for some hidden cameras to come out and say that I was getting pranked. But that was not the case he insisted that we had to go back to the main gate and rent a wheelchair. I said so you're telling me that Disney thanks it's acceptable to charge a fee that targets Disabled Vets, elderly, and anyone with a physical disability?! I immediately asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor offered to give us a wheelchair at no charge but I explained to her that it wasn't the charge that upset me. It's the fact that Walt Disney a quote-unquote family company is targeting disabled people to increase Revenue. And don't get me wrong I am all for increasing revenues where it is possible but I do not think we should target disabled people. I believe the fact that they have to live their life disabled a steep enough price itself and we should only want to help these people in any way possible and if that means paying a little extra somewhere else I would be happy to do so and I would like to think that most people with a decent heart would agree with me. I am sick of sitting back and watching Society allow stuff like this to happen because at the end of the day it's not Walt Disney's fault it's our fault for allowing it to happen. With that being said we will be trying to raise awareness and boycotting Disney with hopes that they will change their immoral policy. I invite you to take a stand with us and try to make this great country a better place for everybody. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Every amusement park charges for this. Not sure why you think boycotting WDW will change anything.

Last edited:
So how did Lauren who is paraplegic get on the bus? Did she leave her personal wheelchair at the bus stop? I would never rely on a company to provide for my disabled relative’s needs. I would research and make sure their needs were provided for even if it costs me a few dollars.
She has HSP (hereditary spastic paraplegia) sorry typo. It is similar to MS

I'm sorry your girlfriend has a disability that impacts her mobility. If this is a relatively new diagnosis, I recommend she learn about it and how to cope with it, and also teach you along the way. I'm sure her medical providers are more than willing to discuss her current and potential future needs with her.

I understand your point. But I disagree. And so does the law. No, it is not discriminatory against "the disabled" to require people provide for their own "tools" to assist with their personal needs. Such tools may be a wheelchair, a cane, a walker, a rollator, an ECV/scooter, glasses, hearing aids, braces, orthotics, slings, ... and the list goes on. Private companies do not have responsibility to make such items available free of charge. If her condition requires a mobility aid, her insurance should cover that for her. If for some reason her insurance does not cover it, there are other avenues of funding available to pursue. Some facilities may offer wheelchairs for free on a first-come first-served basis, but that doesn't guarantee one will always be available to someone who needs it.

There is a list of off-site vendors here on the disABILITIES FAQs thread (post #2): https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/.

WDW also provides info about vendors on their website: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/wheelchair-rentals/.

I hope you all have a wonderful vacation and Sophia enjoys all the magic of Disney!

Last edited:
For the record - I'm not at all saying that anyone with a disability shouldn't be provided adequate and affordable health care (including access to a wheelchair) - but a theme park providing a free wheelchair is not that. (Nor should this be the place for a discussion of the US health care system lol - it's a disney forum!)

Grocery stores, retail stores, airports, hospitals
All for very brief periods, and inside one facility only. Okay, the grocery store ones can go out to the parking lot.
Okay you are missing my point. I am saying that I think it is immoral to charge for a wheelchair. I understand that a lot of people will disagree but if I was not say anything I would not be able to sleep because I would feel like a terrible person.
Again it's not the $12 that upsets me it's the fact that they targeting disabled people to increase revenue.
Any charges for mobility equipment primarily pay for upkeep, rental staffing, item replacement.

The wheelchair you took from the parking lot was a courtesy chair. It's intended to be used by multiple guests throughout the day, to travel between the bus/parking lot, and the park entrance. By taking it for use inside the park, you deprived other visitors of the means to get to the rental location. In-park chairs can't be removed from the parks.

From wikiquotes:

Personal responsibility or Individual Responsibility is the idea that human beings choose, instigate, or otherwise cause their own actions. A corollary idea is that because we cause our actions, we can be held morally accountable or legally liable. Personal responsibility can be contrasted to the idea that human actions are caused by conditions beyond the agent's control.

May I ask why you visited a 580 acre theme park with a person with mobility challenges without any plan?

Last edited:
I understand your point. But I disagree. And so does the law. No, it is not discriminatory against "the disabled" to require people provide for their own "tools" to assist with their personal needs. Such tools may be a wheelchair, a cane, a walker, a rollator, an ECV/scooter, glasses, hearing aids, braces, orthotics, slings, ... and the list goes on.

I especially like this point. Following the OP's logic, Disney should provide me with the braces and athletic tape I need to get thru a day in the parks. Hopefully the OP can see how silly that would be. And where is the cut off? Many people need many different things in order to make it thru a day in the parks. What should Disney provide and what don't they have to provide?

Well it is immoral to me. I don't believe we should be charging disabled vets, elderly and physically disabled people. I think the rest of us able bodies should show a little compassion for those who are not as fortunate as us able-bodied. Again it's not about the money it's about the principle. This is my opinion and I thank you all for voicing your opinions too.

And most of these people have options of acquiring a mobility device to help in their everyday life in some way. If they do not have the money to acquire the device there are organizations and services that are willing to help.

I have a sister and mom that both have mobility disabilities. We have never gone anywhere with the expectations that someone else will make accommodations for them. Even going to the grocery store, you cannot expect to always find one of those scooters or wheelchairs available. We now have rollators, a wheelchair and an EVC to make sure we are prepared for any need.

You think we are missing your point, but we are not, we just disagree that a mobility device should automatically be available for FREE at any business.

I want to ask the OP a question: Would you be ok with the law being changed, and having to prove the disability? Because if any kind of medical device was made to be handed out for free, that is what would happen. Otherwise people would ask for them just for the "fun" of using them.

Heck, only a few years ago there was a group of dingbats on facebook who decided to rent scooters for the day at Epcot, and tool around on them, even though none of them needed a scooter.

I think you should re-read the post because you missed my point.

Parents can choose to use a strollers to make their experience easier. Disabled people need a wheelchair to make their experience possible.

Not all disabled people need the same thing - are you saying businesses should supply all needed equipment, etc, for every single disability out there? Or are you just talking about wheelchairs, because that's what you see as being disabled?

Okay you are missing my point. I am saying that I think it is immoral to charge for a wheelchair. I understand that a lot of people will disagree but if I was not say anything I would not be able to sleep because I would feel like a terrible person. Again it's not the $12 that upsets me it's the fact that they targeting disabled people to increase revenue. Again obviously this is my opinion and how I feel and have nothing but respect for you people who disagree with me just stating how it makes me feel.

You can choose not to pay for a wheelchair at the park, and bring your own. What you are expecting is for someone else to take responsibility for your well being, which is not the same as being targeted for revenue.

Well it is immoral to me. I don't believe we should be charging disabled vets, elderly and physically disabled people. I think the rest of us able bodies should show a little compassion for those who are not as fortunate as us able-bodied. Again it's not about the money it's about the principle. This is my opinion and I thank you all for voicing your opinions too.

I think it belittles and demeans people with disabilities to think they need to be handle as you described. Also, just because someone is disabled doesn't make them less fortunate than someone else - especially if they are going to WDW! I know so many families who could never afford to go on any vacation. There's no need to pity the disabled, and treat them like they are 'poor unfortunate souls'. They don't need handouts, they need opportunities to be independent and productive members of society.

I especially like this point. Following the OP's logic, Disney should provide me with the braces and athletic tape I need to get thru a day in the parks. Hopefully the OP can see how silly that would be. And where is the cut off? Many people need many different things in order to make it thru a day in the parks. What should Disney provide and what don't they have to provide?
I was thinking the same thing where is the cut off point I have some sensory problem and I use over the ear noise protector, they work best for me as I can not use the ones that go in your ears ( well on a good day I can use them for maybe 10 minutes) should Disney give them out for free because I have a disability and this is what I need for my disability. what about the fact I do not like certain smell and I use aromatherapy should Disney provide this for me for free, What about sunglasses to people that get bad head acks from the sun? Ok I will stop now, the question the OP asked is just plain silly

1) No - Disney has no responsibility to provide anything other than equal access. That means getting into the park and accessible lines. It has no responsibility to decide how anyone navigates the park and that includes providing mobility devices.

2) Why would anyone presume that Disney or any business would provide medical equipment? Especially equipment that anyone deems an absolute necessity.

3) Yes, some places have COURTESY equipment. It is there as a courtesy for patrons - not required. And even more, most place do not control it - you do not actually NEED a disability to use said equipment. Now most people are nice enough to realize that they should leave it behind for people who actually need it, but there is no restriction on it.

4) Do you realize that by taking the courtesy chair available in the lot, that you likely stranded many people there? That chair you decided you had more of a right to than any other disabled person is there to help people who rent in the parks get to and from the parking lot and/or bus. By taking that chair, you denied people access, not Disney. You are the only one in the wrong here.

I was born with Cerebral Palsy. I cannot do Disney without a wheelchair. That being said, I personally do not agree with your opinion at all. It is not a company's responsibility to anticipate disability related needs and provide for them for free. As others in this thread have already mentioned, should Disney also be expected to provide walkers, white canes, oxygen, or any number of a 1000 other things someone with a disability might need? To me, the answer is no. Having a disability does not make your life easy. No one disputes that. However, it also does not entitle you to special services or treatment. My opinion is that expecting a free wheelchair is the same as expecting a car dealership to provide a discount because you can't afford a car in an area where you need a vehicle to get around. I will end my comment here, before I end up writing an essay on why expectations like this do not help the fight for equal access.

I want to ask the OP a question: Would you be ok with the law being changed, and having to prove the disability? Because if any kind of medical device was made to be handed out for free, that is what would happen. Otherwise people would ask for them just for the "fun" of using them.

Heck, only a few years ago there was a group of dingbats on facebook who decided to rent scooters for the day at Epcot, and tool around on them, even though none of them needed a scooter.
Which would increase prices for Every. Single. Customer.

Businesses are not charities. There are, as someone above stated, charitable organizations that can assist disabled persons who can't afford their own equipment. Here, it's the Masons. Although, IMO, anyone who can afford a Disney vacation can afford to purchase their own stuff.

I gotta know - who's the person aside from the OP who voted 'yes'?

8FAD3506-B3A7-4C74-BC15-C46E9F466EF4.jpeg
Grocery stores, retail stores, airports, hospitals
I understand your frustration, but I don’t agree with you.
My daughter uses a wheelchair and other equipment; it would never occur to me to expect anything other than an accessible path.
We’ve also traveled with other guests whose need for a mobility device was not as vital as our daughter; we expectedto rent and did rent a device for them.

The ADA requires businesses to provide an accessible path, not to provide equipment for guests with mobility related disabilities, as other guests already mentioned.

Some businesses DO provide courtesy wheelchairs for guests, but it’s a courtesy (and one they feel is good for business).
Airport wheelchairs are usually not free to take; a Skycap is usually with it, pushing the wheelchair for the guest.
Grocery stores and retail stores wheelchairs are used for short periods, maybe 15 minutes, maybe an hour or 2 at the very most. Because they are short use, they turn over many times a day.
Places that expect guests may need/want a wheelchair for a longer time - like Malls - rent them to guests, the same as WDW does. The picture above is the Mall of America in Minnesota rental information.
Our local malls have similar rental policies, so WDW is not alone renting wheelchairs. As far as I know, they have always rented wheelchairs in the parks from when MK first opened in 1971, so it’s not new.

The courtesy wheelchair you used to get from the parking lot to where wheelchairs/ECVs can be rented is a more recent addition. They were added maybe 10 yrs ago as a courtesy for guests.

There are 3 kinds of courtesy wheelchairs at WDW - All are meant for short term use:
1) parking lot and bus courtesy wheelchairs meant to help guests get from those areas to the wheelchair rental area.
These are found in wheelchair ‘corrals’ by the parking and bus area; the corrals all have signs saying what those wheelchairs are for. The wheelchairs themselves have a high post sticking up so it can easily be seen what they are for and where they belong. They are first come, first served and as guests get into the park and rent devices, the courtesy wheelchairs get shuttled back to the corrals. If guests keep them or CMs can’t return them quickly enough, the corrals are sometimes empty.

2) attraction courtesy wheelchairs
Those are at attractions and are used attractions that are not ECV accessible for guests who need to leave their ECV outside the attraction, but can’t walk the distance.
They are also used for guests who want/need to use a wheelchair accessible ride car, but don’t have a wheelchair. Those are short term uses and if someone keeps an attraction wheelchair, it’s not available for guests who who need it.

3) Emergency or urgent use courtesy wheelchairs
These could be attraction wheelchairs, First Aid or Guest Services wheelchair and are used when someone has an urgent need. It could be someturgentlyandhing like a seizure, heat stoke/exhaustion, injury or something else where a guest needs to be moved urgently and can’t walk.

Very good question. I would suggest using the same way for handicap parking. When my girlfriend got her handicap parking she also got a card saying that she was physically disabled. I personally don't think able body people would want to con a free wheelchair but I could be wrong. And besides that would be a better way to deal with that problem than just saying hey let's charge the disabled people. As far as the complementary wheelchair you are a hundred percent wrong. I asked them about that and they said yes it was just a complimentary wheelchair to get her from the bus to the gate. And besides I would think they would have better medical equipment than a wheelchair because of someone hurt their neck, I don't think they're going to want to throw them in a wheelchair.
It is not consistent in the US for people with handicapped parking permits to have a card that says they are disabled. Also, many people with handicapped parking permits would not need/use a wheelchair.
Requiring a card would get into requiring proof of disability, which most disabled people would not want.

As far as wheelchair for injuries, of course, if they think that a wheelchair would not be appropriate for the situation, they would call EMS and get a stretcher.

Lots of people rely on lots of devices and medications to “exist” as you put it. By your rationale, every place needs to provide every tool and medication for free that a person needs to exist. I get why you feel passionate about this issue, but being passionate about something doesn’t make you right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!