What's happening to Aulani??

Always loved the breakfast at AmaAma. But the dinner was so overpriced compared to the other nice places around there relative to what we were served. Now, that in itself is not a deal breaker, but the kids are so bad at that restaurant and the staff don't care. The buffet staff do better at controlling kids to an appropriate level. AmaAma was always awful with kids running around the restaurant next to our table, screaming, etc. I have no issue with kids, but when eating there costs more than Mina's, you have to at least try to control the guests.

As far as I'm concerned, I hope it gets totally redone with a new staff, adjusted prices or food worth the price compared to the competition next door.

Yikes, I don't even know how to go about this. No restaurant employee is supposed to "control" kids. In fact, most places tell their employees not to engage with kids unless there is an imminent threat. PARENTS are supposed to control their kids or be asked to leave. We did not have the issues that you did with kids running around. But if a kids was getting close to our table and in danger of running into us, I would most definitely say something and not expect the employees to do so. What I would do is talk to the manager about it to have them ask the unruly family to calm down or leave. Servers should not have to control anyone, they have a job to do. Why any parent would allow their children to run around in a restaurant is beyond me. People are carrying hot food and it is dangerous. I guess they don't care if little Johnny gets scalded by hot soup and is scarred for life.

Yikes, I don't even know how to go about this. No restaurant employee is supposed to "control" kids. In fact, most places tell their employees not to engage with kids unless there is an imminent threat. PARENTS are supposed to control their kids or be asked to leave. We did not have the issues that you did with kids running around. But if a kids was getting close to our table and in danger of running into us, I would most definitely say something and not expect the employees to do so. What I would do is talk to the manager about it to have them ask the unruly family to calm down or leave. Servers should not have to control anyone, they have a job to do. Why any parent would allow their children to run around in a restaurant is beyond me. People are carrying hot food and it is dangerous. I guess they don't care if little Johnny gets scalded by hot soup and is scarred for life.
We did say something to them. Did nothing. Party of 8 adults with kids. So we asked to move and got told we could not. Asked manager why this is allowed and they just said "sorry, we asked them to stop." Gossip between tables was the manager did not want to jeprodize the massive bill they were gonna get so they let them run do whatever.
Kids literally running around the entrance to the kitchen and by the servers. If you were spending hundreds of dollars on dinner, I'd imagine you'd be pissed off too.
Manager/Staff have a responsibility to guest safety and safety of the whole staff. Instead the manager did literally nothing. And we were not the only table complaining. Or trying to get away. When this group left, everyone applauded.

I dont mean they need to actually corral kids, but they do have the power to do something. Ppl get asked to quiet down or even get kicked out all the time in restaurants if they are behaving in a ridiculous manner. I've literally seen Disney staff police children and warn families at less fancy places without us or anyone even saying anything.

Never have issues with kids at any other place at aulani or the other resorts. Just here. No idea why its happened multiple times. Though none as bad as that one time. But unlike literally every other restaurant I've experienced, they just don't care here. And its a problem.

Last edited:
We did say something to them. Did nothing. Party of 8 adults with kids. So we asked to move and got told we could not. Asked manager why this is allowed and they just said "sorry, we asked them to stop." Gossip between tables was the manager did not want to jeprodize the massive bill they were gonna get so they let them run do whatever.
Kids literally running around the entrance to the kitchen and by the servers. If you were spending hundreds of dollars on dinner, I'd imagine you'd be pissed off too.
Manager/Staff have a responsibility to guest safety and safety of the whole staff. Instead the manager did literally nothing. And we were not the only table complaining. Or trying to get away. When this group left, everyone applauded.

I dont mean they need to actually corral kids, but they do have the power to do something. Ppl get asked to quiet down or even get kicked out all the time in restaurants if they are behaving in a ridiculous manner. I've literally seen Disney staff police children and warn families at less fancy places without us or anyone even saying anything.

Never have issues with kids at any other place at aulani or the other resorts. Just here. No idea why its happened multiple times. Though none as bad as that one. But unlike literally every other restaurant I've experienced, they just don't care here. And its a problem.

Dang, I am sorry that you had that experience. What bad luck. I have not had this issue at Aulani so can not comment that it is somehow more prevalent there then anyplace else. I can tell you that after 30+ years of working in food, that you get all kinds of people. Some days, it seems that every bad parent on the planet brings their kids in and other days, all of the kids are angels. The problem is that now it is taboo to tell parents that they are doing something wrong, even when it endangers their children and others. This is what we get for being "non judgemental" of how parents want to raise their kids, even though that was not the intent of being non judgemental. I think that if it happens again that you take a video of the dangerous behavior of the children and post it Disney's twitter asking why they are allowing this kind of dangerous situation to continue. That seems to be the only thing that gets Disney to do anything now about any situation.

Am I the only meanie who will scold other people's kids?

If my kids were misbehaving, I'd want someone to scold them!

You sound like a responsible adult to me. Funny how some people think that you should "mind your own business" but then if something happens, get mad at you for not preventing it. It is not mean to keep kids from doing something stupid and dangerous. That is how most kids survived childhood because adults everywhere looked out for them. Sad that there are so many that feel otherwise now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter