What we like better about Universal.

nighttowll

DIS Veteran
There have been so many threads listing why people like / think Disney is so much better than Universal. I’ve lost track of how many people go to Universal and then compare it to Disney. They complain how it isn’t like Disney or how Disney does X better.

So I thought I’d turn the tables. Don’t get me wrong I like each in its own way. I think they each have their own pros and cons. However, on our last trip to Florida, we spent a week at Disney and found ourselves commenting more than once that X is better at Universal. The trip actually made us realize how much we really enjoy Universal.

So here are some of the things we like better at Universal:

Food
This is probably the biggest thing we like better about Universal.

First off, Auntie Anne’s pretzels verses those nasty Mickey heads, need I say more!

For us, there is no contest between the two as far as food. The quality and price are ten times better at Universal, and we don’t have to make a reservation in advance. We can decide in the moment when and where we want to eat, and we actually like the food on the menus at Universal. Oh, and they have butter beer and sweet tea at Universal as well!

We aren’t big fans of most of the menus at TS restaurants at Disney and usually struggle to find things to eat. For instance, at CRT, the chicken is the only thing on the menu I’d eat, and even that isn’t something I’d normally order. I also thought the dessert was gross, beautiful but bad tasting. Then when you factor in the high cost. It just isn’t for us. I’d rather eat cheap pumpkin pasties then fancy Disney desserts any day.

We really love most of the bakery items at Universal, but have ended up throwing away most of the snacks we’ve tried at Disney.

Starbucks
This deserves its own point. Universal has Starbucks at each of its hotels. Then they have Starbucks in each park, and they have Starbucks in Citiwalk. That’s 8 Starbucks in a fairly small area at Universal, verses 6 at Disney spread over a huge area. For the size of Disney, there are just not enough Starbucks to go around, especially when you can use a snack credit for a drink. We aren’t big Starbucks people, but when we go on vacation it is one thing we tend to like to splurge on a couple of times. It’s just not worth it to us to fight the crowds at Disney for a drink. It isn’t worth the 30 + minute detour that takes most of the time. We really like being able to grab a quick drink at universal without a long line or huge crowds.

Atmosphere/ Theming
We prefer the theming in IOA to anything at Disney. At Disney, I feel immersed in the movie or world when on the ride, but not so much when I’m just walking through the park. At IOA, the theming feels immersive outside of the attractions. There is so much attention to detail, and one of our favorite things to do at IOA is to simply stroll around with a snack or drink and really explore all the little details. There are interactive areas you can touch to activivate effects as well as hidden picture ops and Easter eggs. We really do enjoy simply strolling around IOA, not so much at Disney.

I will agree that US outside of Simpsons and Diagon Alley is lacking in overall theming. US really reminds me more of how I feel at Disney with each ride having its own theming, but me not really feeling like I was transported into another world like I do at IOA.

Size / Ease of Access
It might not seem like a benefit to some, but we like that Universal is so small. We love how close together everything is. We love being able to walk everywhere and not need to take transportation unless we want to. We love how easy and convenient it is to change parks, return to the hotel, or go to Citiwalk for a meal. Within 20 minutes you can pretty much get anywhere on property. Buses and boats are also frequent and take very little time to arrive at their destination.

During my hour + transits this last trip at Disney, I was really missing Universal transportation and the ability to walk.

Hotels
Not going to go into a lot of details, but in general, we find the quality of the category a step up at Universal. For instance, a value at Universal seems more like a moderate at Disney. I especially liked the fact that at CB at Universal the rooms open to an interior hallway. Even at the moderate we stayed at at Disney the rooms all opened outside, and you had no option for walking inside if there was bad weather.

TMs / Customer Service
Again not going into a lot of details, but overall we have had much better interactions at Universal than at Disney over the years. Better general interactions as far as check in and just general park interaction and better customer service in regards to issues. We have also had a few medical problems at each place and Universal handled everything so much better.

Early Park Opening and What’s Available
I’m not sure how this compares at each park, but AK opened early on our last trip (not referring to EMH). I didn’t expect the rides to be open which they weren’t, but I expected the shops and restaurants in the area you’re confined to to be open. What’s the point of getting in early if I can’t go ahead and grab breakfast, maybe do some shopping, get ready for the day to begin? We realized we’ve been spoiled by the fact that Universal lets you in early every day, and you can do all that stuff before official opening time. It was so frustrating having to waste park time to eat when we could have been riding. Again, we’ve been spoiled by the dark side where they don’t hold your coffe and pastries hostage until official opening time.

Interactive Queues and Single Rider Lines
I know Disney does have some interactive queues, but I’ve got to give the points to Universal as they did it first. I really enjoy the preshows and setup for the Universal rides, plus the optional free “tours” they have at some. I usually prefer to skip the Disney queues and preshows and don’t feel I’m missing out. However, with some of the Universal queues, we will actually make a point to make time during our trip to do standby solely to experience them.

I like the single rider option at Universal. Almost every ride offers it. At Disney, only a handful offer the single rider option.

Please note, this isn’t meant to be a bash Disney or a Universal rules type post. I could easily make a what I like better about Disney post, but we see those all the time. I know I’m not comparing apples to apples here and many of the things I like best about either place, wouldn’t necessarily be possible to replicate at the other. These are just some of things we noticed that we prefer, and why we plan to spend more time at Universal than at Disney in the future. We still had a wonderful Disney trip and wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I appreciate your feedback!! I am thinking of doing a split Universal/WDW trip for 2019 and did not realize how cool Universal is!! It looks amazing!

Also, the hotels and pools look really cool (especially Cabana Bay). Also, while I love WDW it appears the quality may be going down while the cost is absolutely going up. I am absolutely leaning toward a split trip.

I know this is a very complicated question, however would you say that Universal is overall much less expensive than WDW? It appeared to be the case based on the little bit of research I did (especially for the hotels).

I know this is a very complicated question, however would you say that Universal is overall much less expensive than WDW? It appeared to be the case based on the little bit of research I did (especially for the hotels).

A few years ago, I’d definitely say it was less expensive. We spent next to nothing our first trip to Universal, and we’ve been lucky enough to take a number of low cost trips since. However, I’ve noticed as the popularity increases it has become harder and harder to do Universal at a reasonable cost.

Now, it’s more of hit or miss than anything. It really depends on your ability to work the system, when you’re going, and if EP is a must for you. The main reason we did the week at Disney in January instead of Universal was that I felt priced out of Universal in the peak season. There were a number of factors that contributed to that, and I don’t feel priced out forever, but I was for that trip.

It was going to cost me more for the hotel alone at Universal for the week (a deluxe), then the entire Disney package cost including moderate hotel, tickets, and food. I will say I did catch a really good deal at Disney, and I could have stayed at CB or Vista Cay for less, but I knew crowds would be bad, and I’d miss out on EP which I knew would be needed that week.

In general, I’ve found the two to be about the same price-wise. I think overall you get a little more for your money at Universal. For instance, I find both Disney and Universal deluxe rooms expensive, but Universal’s deluxe hotels seem nicer and a better deal for the money to me. Also if you can catch deals, you can get Universal deluxe rooms at Disney moderate prices. Park tickets run about the same, although season and AP passes are much less at Universal.

Food and souvenirs is where you see the biggest differences in pricing. Let’s say in the real world something costs $2, Disney is probably charging you $10, and Universal $2 to $5. At Disney, I find most of the prices 2 to 3 times if not more what I’d pay at home. However, at Universal, I find the prices for souvenirs and meals to be similar to or slightly more than what I’d pay at home. For instance, I’d expect to pay $15 to $30 for a sit down meal at home depending on type of meal and what I order. This holds true for Universal as well. Not so at Disney where the norm can run you anywhere from $50 to $150 a person per meal. So in that regard, Universal is definitely cheaper. Of course, there will always be exceptions, but overall this is what I’ve noticed.

Also, the hotels and pools look really cool (especially Cabana Bay).

Yes, CB is very nice for a value hotel. It feels way more like a moderate to me. I stayed at POP once and that was all it took for me to say never again. But I’d definitely stay at CB again.

I thought the rooms were done very well. I had a great view of the volcano out my window. Loved the interior hallways. The theming is extremely detailed and very good around the whole resort. The lazy river is also nice. The buses are prompt, clean, and a quick trip over.

On top of that, you can still walk if you don’t mind taking your time. I feel like not everyone realizes this. It’s only about 20 minutes. You can also walk over to one of the other hotels and then take the boat from that hotel, or they have bicycle cart drivers you can pay. Though you usually have to get those from Citywalk, not to.

The walkway between the resorts and the parks is one of our favorite parts of going to Universal. It is so beautiful and peaceful to stroll along the water to the parks in the mornings. Also it is really easy to pool and resort hop this way using the path.

Last time I stayed at SF I hopped over to the pool bar at RPR. It took me about 5 minutes to get there. My room was on that side of the hotel, so the RPR pool was actually a quicker walk than the SF pool from my room. I ordered the amazing nachos to go, took them back to my room, and had a feast. It was the best decision ever. If you haven’t yet tried the nachos, they are a must do. They can easily feed a family of 4 and only cost $15. Just one more great Universal deal.

Here’s my thoughts on Universal Resorts:

Least Expensive: CB
Closest to parks: HRH
Best Value: RP
Nicest Rooms: PB
Newest: SF

My wife and I were/are HUGE Disney fans...until Universal happened :P

1. Express Pass
2. Express Pass
3. People love to talk about the Disney Bubble, but Universal has a bubble all it's own. And it's SO much easier to move around the ENTIRE resort area.
4. Ride innovation/implementation. Seems like they have taken the technological lead in this category and they also seem get things done in a much tighter time frame the the Mouse. And with Potter, they really stepped up their theming game.
5. Express Pass
6. We love Disney, but it's nice to have more thrilling rides.
7.-10. Express Pass

Being a local, well about 50 miles away, I must say my Premier Annual passes are the best. free Valet park at Citywalk, No line for Scanning, Short walk to the parks, One time Entrance for EP for all rides after 4 PM, Do about 5 or 6 rides Head to Dinner at City Walk about 6 or 7 PM Discount on Dinner, back to the Valet, on the way home shortly there after. Arrive at 3:30 in the car back home between 8 and 9 PM. Oh by the way the Giant Pretzel at NBC Grill and Brew is excellent so is their French Dip.

No arguments here. I would say they are very similar cost wise, but Universal is a better value for us. For example, for a family of four, we spend about $1,000 per day for our vacation - flights, hotel, tickets, food, souvenirs. I can do a week at each for $7K - but we eat better, feel more rested, spend more time swimming/relaxing, and enjoy the rides better at Universal. Again, we like Disney, we love Universal.

No arguments here. I would say they are very similar cost wise, but Universal is a better value for us. For example, for a family of four, we spend about $1,000 per day for our vacation - flights, hotel, tickets, food, souvenirs. I can do a week at each for $7K - but we eat better, feel more rested, spend more time swimming/relaxing, and enjoy the rides better at Universal. Again, we like Disney, we love Universal.

This is exactly how I feel!! Its not really less expensive but I feel the quality of my vacation is higher. This is particularly important to us coming from Canada where we have to contend with adding ~30% to every dollar we spend!

As another posted already mentioned, I also love the "Universal bubble"!

So, with all this positivity being expressed for Universal, can we, once and for all, stop referring to it as "the darkside"? :cheer2:

I think the new Universal commercial sums it up for our family- they say your kids grow and your vacation should grow, too. I guess our family has "grown into " Universal . We still like Disney but as we are all adults and we don't travel together much anymore, my husband and I can really have a relaxing vacation at Universal.

Wow, sums up my thoughts exactly. Last year we did 2 weeks and Universal and 1 day at Magic Kingdom (MNSSHP). It was perfect. I wouldn’t want to skip MK either. For me that place is magical in its own way.

But Universal just offers so much freedom, such a relaxing vacation. Weaving through the parks early in the day, going back to the hotel at the hottest part of the day and maybe jumping out to Volcano Bay (best themed park I have been to) and then coming back into the parks during the later stages of the day. Just a perfect vacation.

We just returned from a great stay in Dubai. We visited the biggest indoor theme park in the world. It made me realize how spoiled we have been, by going so often to awesome parks with great staff in Universal and Disney.

And as luxurious as our five star hotel was in Dubai, I am already counting down the days until next September, when we return to Universal and will purchase our first Annual passes even though we live about 4000 miles away. Universal is our favorite spot on planet earth right now :)

As another posted already mentioned, I also love the "Universal bubble"!

So, with all this positivity being expressed for Universal, can we, once and for all, stop referring to it as "the darkside"? :cheer2:

It’s been affectionately referred to the darkside as it meant venturing into the unknown

Years ago, the darkside started and has grown and enjoyed by many

I always will call it the darkside

Yes, CB is very nice for a value hotel. It feels way more like a moderate to me. I stayed at POP once and that was all it took for me to say never again. But I’d definitely stay at CB again.

I thought the rooms were done very well. I had a great view of the volcano out my window. Loved the interior hallways. The theming is extremely detailed and very good around the whole resort. The lazy river is also nice. The buses are prompt, clean, and a quick trip over.

On top of that, you can still walk if you don’t mind taking your time. I feel like not everyone realizes this. It’s only about 20 minutes. You can also walk over to one of the other hotels and then take the boat from that hotel, or they have bicycle cart drivers you can pay. Though you usually have to get those from Citywalk, not to.

The walkway between the resorts and the parks is one of our favorite parts of going to Universal. It is so beautiful and peaceful to stroll along the water to the parks in the mornings. Also it is really easy to pool and resort hop this way using the path.

Last time I stayed at SF I hopped over to the pool bar at RPR. It took me about 5 minutes to get there. My room was on that side of the hotel, so the RPR pool was actually a quicker walk than the SF pool from my room. I ordered the amazing nachos to go, took them back to my room, and had a feast. It was the best decision ever. If you haven’t yet tried the nachos, they are a must do. They can easily feed a family of 4 and only cost $15. Just one more great Universal deal.

Here’s my thoughts on Universal Resorts:

Least Expensive: CB
Closest to parks: HRH
Best Value: RP
Nicest Rooms: PB
Newest: SF

I really appreciate your feedback!! Especially in regards to the walking everywhere if you so choose. I did not previously realize that, and for me is a huge draw. I am seeing other threads and absolutely leaning toward a half Universal half Disney trip next year. I also love the idea of pool hopping. This is much friendlier than Disney's having gates at pools (although I understand why).

Others I know have reflected your thoughts in regards to cost, in that the gap is closing. Also, Volcano Bay looks amazing.

I think I know who to reach out to if I have questions. :D

This post has made me so excited for our first trip to Universal. I LOVE Disney! But my husband is getting a bit over it because we have been so many times in the past few years. We are going sans kids and looking forward to more thrill rides!

I really appreciate your feedback!! Especially in regards to the walking everywhere if you so choose. I did not previously realize that, and for me is a huge draw.

Yes, the walking everywhere has spoiled us. We stayed at HRH for the first time last year, and it’s under 10 minutes from hotel room to the park entrance. I read somewhere that someone timed it at 4 minutes something from pool gate to US entry gate. You can’t beat that.

We also enjoy the boats which go along the same route as the walkway. It’s a beautiful trip and very relaxing and quick.

Which reminds me, something else Universal does better, security. There’s no security at the gates to enter. This makes park entry so much faster, and getting through the security itself is faster as well. You generally don’t have to wait in any lines to go through.

You go through security at one of 3 spots. Really it’s more than 3 spots, but there are 3 types of spots. Either before boarding the boat at the hotel, at the entrance of one of the walkways to Citywalk from the resorts, or at the entrance to Citywalk from the drop off area and parking garage. By spreading out the check points like this, it really helps to keep the crowds from forming.

Also, having security before the boat was a great idea in my opinion. You have to wait to board the boat, so why not kill 2 birds and use that time to go ahead and get screened.

Thank you for the info about the ability to walk into the parks easier. One thing I love about DL is that I can walk everywhere and get back to hotel, Downtown Disney, etc without taking a million trams, boats and buses to get everywhere.

The biggest thing I like about Universal over Disney is just the ease of use. It's so much easier to just book a last minute trip and go for a weekend than it is at Disney, where everything is booked way ahead of time. It's also easier to get around the parks since they're right next to each other, whereas Disney transportation is an adventure in and of itself. We bought an Annual Pass at Universal for this reason. We've gone twice this year already and likely will go again later in the year.

I also think the Harry Potter lands inside Universal are far better than any land that Disney has in any of its parks.

However we generally prefer the shows, parades, and variety of experiences at Disney. Universal is somewhat hamstrung in that they can't put fireworks up every night due to residential areas, and my chief complaint about the rides is they all start to feel the same. Far too many screens, far too many simulators, and at some point in the ride they'll spray water at you. At Disney they have a large variety of rides and while some feel similar, it doesn't feel like you're on the same ride over and over again just with a different lead character. For example, at Animal Kingdom you have a rollercoaster, simulator, boat ride, river rapids ride, safari ride, dark ride, a few carnival rides (by far the worst area), two high production stage shows, various animal exhibit walkthroughs, and a water and light show. And that's just one of the three parks that has that variety (Hollywood Studios is a mess at the moment, although it'll be a great park after Star Wars opens).

Food is kind of a wash. We've had amazing food at Disney and bad food at Disney, as we have at Universal. Starbucks is a huge plus for Uni though (although I wish RPR had one in the lobby like CBR!)

Hotels I'll also go with a wash, mainly because of price. Universal has nothing that compares to Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, or a few of the others, but Disney's resorts are just so expensive for what you get that it's not really a fair comparison. Of course they should be better, they're $500+ a night!

We are planning our first non-Disney Orlando trip for 2019. One night at Legoland and then about a week at a Universal Hotel with three days in the parks (and trips to Discovery Cove and Sea World as well). We'll probably "cheat" and go to Disney Springs one day, if I'm being honest.

We haven't been since 2003 (Disney is good at keeping you in its clutches) and so we're excited for Harry Potter and all the other new stuff (not to mention Spider Man and some old stuff as well). We really really liked it way back then and I imagine it is only better now.

This list was very insightful and I am wondering how much my then-8yo son will decide that Universal is more his speed than is Disney.

We are planning our first non-Disney Orlando trip for 2019. One night at Legoland and then about a week at a Universal Hotel with three days in the parks (and trips to Discovery Cove and Sea World as well). We'll probably "cheat" and go to Disney Springs one day, if I'm being honest.

We haven't been since 2003 (Disney is good at keeping you in its clutches) and so we're excited for Harry Potter and all the other new stuff (not to mention Spider Man and some old stuff as well). We really really liked it way back then and I imagine it is only better now.

This list was very insightful and I am wondering how much my then-8yo son will decide that Universal is more his speed than is Disney.
Sounds like an excellent trip! Definitely look into the hotels with Express Passes. They're definitely worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!