What is your favorite do ahead recipe?

mrsboz

DIS Veteran
With Easter coming upon us rapidly, what is your favorite do ahead recipe? Either do ahead and freeze or you can do it a couple of days ahead? So far I've done lasagne, meatballs, sugar cookies and cupcakes. Anyone else have any appetizers or side dishes or anything else they can think of that can be done ahead?

:confused3

I like to freeze poundcakes ahead.
they can be simply dusted w/confectioner's sugar or split & filled with preserves, fresh stewed fruits, fresh fruits &/or whipping cream-
I make chocolate truffles ahead. They're so easy & the coatings can be varied, makes a fewer number seem more plentiful-
A nice sour cream coffee cake can be done ahead & can serve for breakfast or as a dessert-
Like to do the green beans, bacon & onion combo ahead, the flavors just seem to do better when made ahead~Veggie casseroles are nice to do ahead, too

We do shrimp cocktail ahead. the shrimp the day before & the sauce a couple of days before
You can make the fillings for eggrolls or dim sum a couple of days before~
I'm big on freezing cookie doughs, too as well as pie crusts. what is super simple is a fruit tart~

Jean

jonestavern: would you care to share any of your vegetable casseroles? This is what I am most interested in ideas for? I would be very thankful.

This is great when the garden comes in:
Squashes Casserole
grease 1 qt casserole dish Set oven @ 350

a) 2 cups of rough chopped yellow &/or zucchini squash. Can add some pimento or contasting bell pepper, too
b) 2 cups good bread, or stuffing cubes or Ritz Cracker crumbs
c) 1 cup evaporated milk, or 1/2 & 1/2 or whole milk
d) 1 cup shredded cheese, cheddar is good, but try those new Bistro shreds, too
Mexican shreds or pizza shreds(if using seasoned stuffing mix or robustly
flavored bread, be sure the cheese mix goes with it
e) 1 cup diced onion
f) 2 eggs beaten
g) 1 tsp salt--you might want to skip this if the cheese is salty
h) 1 tsp pepper
i) dash of sugar
j) 6 tablespoons of butter

Place A into a big bowl. Add B-E, mix well.Stir in F-J. Pour the whole thing into your greased casserole. At this point you can store it, covered, in the fridge for a couple of days. Pop into a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.

Broccoli &/or Cauliflower & Cheese
I don't have quantities on this, I just do it 'til it looks right :goodvibes

a) steam some broccoli &/or cauliflower florets--we like them in larger chunks--you don't want too small
b) can saute some fresh 'shrooms/can add diced sauteed onion, too
c) make a white sauce & add 2 cups of your favorite cheese or cheeses--yep, we like Velveeta(it melts easily) but cheddar is good & cheddar mixed with jalapeno jack, when using all cauliflower, is good eating, too!
topping:
2 cups or so of rougly crumbled Ritz or potato chips (or a combo of)
some cold stick margarine or butter
I pulse these in the food processor--just a few pulses will do--you don't want it fine

Put A & B into a greased casserole dish., I like to use an 8" x 8" baking dish or a 2 qt 3" high casserole.
Pour cheese sauce over--should not be swimming, but well coated. Add topping. At this point you can put into 'fridge, covered, for a few days.
Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes~

Italian Spinach

spinach greatly reduces when cooked down so buy much more than you think you'll need

a) 2 - 14 oz pkgs of fresh baby spinach
b) 1 large onion, sliced
c) 1 or 2 contrasting color bell peppers, sliced
d) sliced 'shrooms
e) massive amounts of minced garlic--for convenience I used jarred
f) olive oil, for sauteing
g) 1 or so tsp of oregano
optional
bacon--4" lengths, Italian sausage--2" chunks, chourico--nickel-rounds or diced--
crushed red pepper

slice B & C & if you choose to use it, the meat.
Day before(or of)
saute in olive oil( & optional crushed red pepper, if you go that way & optional meats) B & C & D, add in minced garlic. When those things are soft, add spinach until it wilts down. Add oregano
Will stay fine in the fridge for a couple of days, micro warm or it serving without the meat, can serve chilled

Enjoy! :sunny:

Jean

I posted this on a side dish thread, but thought you all might enjoy it. :) I have only made it the night before, but you could probably do it 2 days before and not top with the cheese & chives until baking.

Twice baked potato casserole

5 lbs. of yukon gold potatoes (peel, cube, boil until tender, drain well)
2 cloves of garlic minced or 1 Tbs. of jarred chopped garlic
1 medium sweet onion diced
2-3 Tbs of butter
2 16 oz. tubs of sour cream
2 cups shredded colby jack (finely shredded) - reserve 1/2 cup
4 Tbs. chives (dried from the spice section)
salt & pepper to taste

In saute pan place butter (adjust amount as necessary), onion, and garlic. Saute until onions begin to brown and are tender. Mash potatoes very well with hand mixer. Mix in sour cream (can adjust for desired thickness), 1 1/2 cups of cheese, onions and garlic. Place in a shallow casserole dish. Top with chives and remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes until cheese is melted and edges are lightly browned.

If you make the night before you will need to bake it at 350 for about 1 hour. Baking time is dependent on the depth of your casserole dish. The one I use is about as deep as a standard 9 x 13 pan, so the times I have written down are based on that.

Thank you for your recipes. I haven't done much at all in the way of our party. I must get started. I'm also looking for easy do ahead appetizers if anyone can think of any. Thank you.

The items that I am able to make ahead for sunday is-
Kalbi-marinated short ribs-I marinated it and froze it.
Mud pie-It needs to be made ahead of time so that it can be set.
Pasta salad make ahead so that all the flavors marinate.

Easter Sunday has come and gone but for other times...I like to do make ahead breakfast items-like egg casseroles or a sausage ring. Its really nice when you have company and don't want to be in the kitchen alot. Also I have done lasagna ahead of time-made with uncooked noodles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter