What is OKW like?

We loved it there. My daughter can show you around one of the apartments.....

Loved the video, thank you! :sunny: I’m staying in a 1 br villa so I guess it’s exactly the same just without the second bedroom and bathroom? Can I just ask if the villas have any air-con or fans in them please? Thanks for all the info :thanks:

We loved it so much, we bought a DVC resale contract there! Be sure to take advantage of the clubhouse activities and the pool parties!

We stayed in a 2-bedroom villa last month for two weeks as we each wanted our own bedrooms (there were only two of us). We used the washer/dryer every other day and it was very convenient. We really enjoyed the bus transportation and how we never waited more than 15 minutes for any bus. The boat ride to DS was a definite selling point for OKW.

To take full advantage of the villa, be sure to get groceries and cook as much as you can; why else pay for full sized appliances and not use them? This freed up our resources to book several signature restaurants.

The rooms are a little dated and need the impending/current refresh.

We are DVC members, stayed twice at OKW, December 16 Ok, May 2017 a bit of a disaster. Only in a studio, but the first room they put us in was the furthest away you could get from the main building and the furthest away from where we had requested to be. I asked if we could be moved the following day as we did not have a car and it was just too far away from where you get the boat to disney springs etc. We had checked in early as were transferring from AKL. They text the room number to me whilst we were at the parks and we returned late evening.
First issue the cast member took us to our room with the luggage which then dropped into the road at some speed (fortunately the iPad was not in the bag).
Then on entering the room it was dirty, dusty the wall was falling down around the window, yes I mean literally and there was mould on the windows and the cills. I have never stayed in such a terrible room anywhere in the world. If I showed you the photos you would be horrified.
Fortunately we had already arranged for a room transfer the next day.
The cast member when we first checked in was not helpful at all, worst experience with Disney check in.
When I showed them the pictures of the room, they just thanked me for bringing it to my attention.
On returning home I took this up further with DVC and as a result have a free night on Disney.
Compared to AKL and Port Orleans, I found the cast members were just a bit too laid back, not so keen to insure you have a perfect stay.
Having said that we are booked to stay again at OKW in June for part of our holiday, keeping fingers crossed for a better experience.

Also should mention, never had a good experience with buses at this resort, we sit waiting at the bus stop and looking at the board for info, only to find the time of arrival keeps getting later. So bad on a couple of occasions we missed our fast passes and so reception had to give us free ones!
The resort is not noisy which is a plus, certainly geared towards families with older children as not heavily themed for young children.

Sorry you had issues at OKW. As I said previously we have been DVC owners there since the early '90's. In many stays we have always found cast members to be some of the most helpful and accommodating on property. I would not have stayed in the accommodation you described and would have expected to be moved to an alternative immediately. As you know a request for a particular area is just that - a request. I have stayed in all areas and found they all have positives.
Buses are what they are, at any resort but again we have never had particular problems at OKW. I'm sure you are aware there is an internal shuttle which runs frequently should you need transport within the resort. I really enjoy walking around the resort.
My children 'grew up' at OKW and now my grandson loves it. There is so much going on in community hall, activities at the main pool, campfire singalong - we find it hard to fit in park time! We have, over the years stayed at most resorts from value to deluxe both DVC and non DVC and have lived most of them. But OKW always feels like home to me.
I agree that some decor is dated, refurb begins this year, I hope they don't lose the character.
Hope you enjoy your stay in June.

We stayed at OKW last month for 11 nights and loved it.
Our home resort is the Boardwalk and we've stayed there many times. We've also stayed at Bay Lake Tower, Beach Club Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge and Kidani Village.
Although we enjoy the hustle and bustle of the Boardwalk (and its position) we all thought that OKW was the most relaxed DVC property we have stayed at in WDW. It helped that we were given the perfect position for us, building 46 top floor, which looked out on the canal. The room surprised me as I was expecting it to look a bit tatty, but it was clean with no obvious damage, if a little dated.
No problem with the buses, although we did use Uber a few times when we wanted to be somewhere fast. I didn't like that you now have to change buses to get to a water park, not good customer service Disney.
I would definitely stay there again, especially after the upcoming refurb.

Kev

We had a disappointing experience at OKW in August this year !!

In fact we only stayed one night of the seven we had booked.

Firstly the positives. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Our unit was ready early. We were happy with the location. We were in block 18 on millers road, on the 1st floor. We were initially pleased with apartment. It appeared clean and was very spacious.

I can’t comment on the amenities as we didn’t use any except lunch at the quick service restaurant. Food was good tables could have been cleaner and it started to rain, which isn’t great as there is no inside seating.

Now the problem!!

We came back to our apartment after dinner probably about 09:30 and 10pm and there were 2 rats at the bottom of the stairs - I really hate rats!! (Possibly a bit phobic)

I called the front desk (call centre) and they said they would get pest control right out!!

I appreciated that it’s tropical, outside, lots of undergrowth, near water etc etc and tried to not stress about it - although I wasn’t very happy and it made me feel apprehensive whilst I was in bed - but as I say I thought I’d just have to get over it!

However when we went out of the apartment in the morning, there were rat droppings all over the door mat (ie right outside the front door) all along the outside corridor and down the stairs - that was too close for comfort for me!

I went to the front desk and told them about my problem - they immediately asked if I wanted to change resorts (without me having to make any fuss at all!!) and said I’d probably be more comfortable at a resort with inside corridors - I agreed!

They moved us to the boardwalk - that was great. They gave us an hour to pack and then sent bell services and a customer services lady in a minivan who drove us over to the boardwalk. So as I’ve already said I can’t fault the customer service that we received.

I probably wouldn’t choose to stay at okw again

We had a disappointing experience at OKW in August this year !!

In fact we only stayed one night of the seven we had booked.

Firstly the positives. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Our unit was ready early. We were happy with the location. We were in block 18 on millers road, on the 1st floor. We were initially pleased with apartment. It appeared clean and was very spacious.

I can’t comment on the amenities as we didn’t use any except lunch at the quick service restaurant. Food was good tables could have been cleaner and it started to rain, which isn’t great as there is no inside seating.

Now the problem!!

We came back to our apartment after dinner probably about 09:30 and 10pm and there were 2 rats at the bottom of the stairs - I really hate rats!! (Possibly a bit phobic)

I called the front desk (call centre) and they said they would get pest control right out!!

I appreciated that it’s tropical, outside, lots of undergrowth, near water etc etc and tried to not stress about it - although I wasn’t very happy and it made me feel apprehensive whilst I was in bed - but as I say I thought I’d just have to get over it!

However when we went out of the apartment in the morning, there were rat droppings all over the door mat (ie right outside the front door) all along the outside corridor and down the stairs - that was too close for comfort for me!

I went to the front desk and told them about my problem - they immediately asked if I wanted to change resorts (without me having to make any fuss at all!!) and said I’d probably be more comfortable at a resort with inside corridors - I agreed!

They moved us to the boardwalk - that was great. They gave us an hour to pack and then sent bell services and a customer services lady in a minivan who drove us over to the boardwalk. So as I’ve already said I can’t fault the customer service that we received.

I probably wouldn’t choose to stay at okw again

That's an absolutely hideous thing to happen on holiday!!!
I'd be screaming.

:offtopic:
Many years ago, arriving at our fave restaurant we couldn't get parked.
We ended up driving around the back of the restaurant and discovered rats the size of cats-
I was freaked beyond belief ...needless to say we did not get out of the car & never returned. :sad2::sad1:

Love OKW. We always spend 2 weeks there in March. In a one bedroom which for 4 is just fine because it is so large. The kitchen, laundry and bathroom are all large as is the balcony. We rarely go to parks anymore but we love the pool, Olivia’s, the boat to DS, shuffle board, tennis, etc. I have a disabled adult daughter and she always brings her best friend. The staff in the community center is outstanding and are so kind to them. Plus the pool staff is great too with lots of activities planned. We have been there without a car many times and it works well. If you are going to another resort for dinner you can take boat to DS and catch a bus. Or take a cab.

I stayed in a 1 br villa for 3 weeks last year and fell in love with it! It was so homely and i loved going back to the villa from a Disney filled day in the parks!

The balconys are such a good size so perfect for having breakfast in the morning on, or coming back and having a beer at night time!

I’m booked to stay there again next year, this time in a studio and I can’t wait! 359 days and counting!!

OKW is undergoing refurbishment, so bu next September you may be able to request a refurbished room.

It's Florida, animals live outside including rats probably.
Someone took a photo of a Bobcat walking past their villa at OKW the other day, looked rather large it did.
I've been in a cabin in the Smokies and had a bear go at the bins, and wolves on the back porch.
I've had large gators at the back of the villa in Naples and and Rotunda.
Snake around pool.
Racoon in the bins.
Hundreds of sting ray swimming around my legs in Fort Myers.
Barracuda and sharks near me snorkeling in the Keys.
So much more interesting than UK.

It's Florida, animals live outside including rats probably.
Someone took a photo of a Bobcat walking past their villa at OKW the other day, looked rather large it did.
I've been in a cabin in the Smokies and had a bear go at the bins, and wolves on the back porch.
I've had large gators at the back of the villa in Naples and and Rotunda.
Snake around pool.
Racoon in the bins.
Hundreds of sting ray swimming around my legs in Fort Myers.
Barracuda and sharks near me snorkeling in the Keys.
So much more interesting than UK.

I fully appreciate the wildlife is very different and varied in Florida and have also been lucky enough to experience it first hand. However rats are vermin and I’d rather not have them pooing on my doormat! Likewise I wouldn’t want a cockroach in my kitchen just because it was a Florida Cockraoch - some wildlife is undesirable wherever in the world it is.

We absolutely loved our stay at OKW, the only thing we thought it was lacking was a decent counter service restaurant.

Olivias restaurant was quite reasonably priced based on Disney prices x

I have owned points at OKW for a long time .
It is a different accommodation to the rest of the DVC RESORTS
Its style of resort is very different .
As others have said it was the first DVC and the rooms are huge.
Buses work very well but it was designed with car use in mind .
drive up to your room rather than walk the long hallways as you would do in my beloved BWV where I also own .
Have never had a bad stay and have had many happy renters enjoy the wonderful space and ambiance .
Just love the closeness of the golf course and my wife likes the ability to shop at Disney Springs .
Has to be the most laid back resort of all
Enjoy the shade and the trees and natures animals one and all.
Patrick

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!