What is going on with JetBlue?????

kandb

DIS Veteran
I have been tracking JetBlue flights out of the NY area since a friend of mine was delayed a few weeks ago. The flights have had so many delays and cancellations and sometimes NOT related to weather. Our flight at the end of August leaves Newark at 1:19. That flight today, still has not taken off. It is estimated to take off at 9pm tonight and get in at 11:35pm. There is almost a daily cancellation of an entire flight from Newark and also from LGA and JFK. What is going on? We have been flying JetBlue to/from Florida and have never seen such delays/cancellations. I feel so bad for the people who have been waiting at the airport today for 10 hours waiting for their flight to take off. Who wants to start a vacation like that?

In my experience this is normal for Jetblue out of JFK. We avoid layovers there having had flights delayed for extended periods. Watched several families sitting in the terminal waiting for their delayed flight to depart knowing that when they get there the cruise ship they had booked on would already be gone. What a nightmare!

I have friends who fly out of Newark and seems the flights are always delayed

We've always flown JetBlue out of JFK (and LAG once) and only had one problem: in 2008, our return flight was delayed by something like 3 hours. But we were in the terminal at MCO, not on the plane, so it wasn't a crisis.

We flew from Orlando to LAG on Jet Blue in February. We got a text that our flight that was supposed to take off at 10 PM was delayed until after midnight. We called and changed to a 5 PM flight that wound up being delayed until after 10 PM. When we asked what was causing the delay they told us fog that morning delayed all of their flights for the day. We were in Orlando all day and saw no fog and all of SW flights to NY got out on time that day. It was odd.

Flew JetBlue in July, JFK to LAX, nonstops. Delays both ways. The early morning flight out of JFK was delayed because the captain called out sick, they repeatedly announced that as the reason over the loudspeaker, to my surprise. It was about 60-90 minutes. Flight home was delayed about an hour as well, no reason given.

Also, it doesn't seem uncommon to cancel at least one flight daily from Newark to Orlando. It's just says, flight cancelled, call the airline. It's ridiculous.

The 9:47am plane they cancelled today was a smaller plane (only 4 across) and now all the other flights for today are sold out. I wonder if they do this to keep the planes full and not run plans that have empty seats? Cancel a flight and put all those other people in the other planes so they are not running planes that are not full?

We have had 2 flights cancelled in the last 3 years. Once to Orlando from Buffalo, once to Buffalo from Orlando (different trips). Both were on SW & due to weather. We were able to book on Jetblue the same day for both trips & those flights went off ok with no problem. I think things can happen with any airline.

Last edited:
With LGA and JFK it could be construction. The airports are a mess and if Jetblue gets too backed up they have to cancel a plane to fix it. Also could be FAA telling them that there isn't going to be a runway or take off time for thay specific flight so they have to cancel. We sat for 30 minutes leaving LAX to JFK because once weather passed air traffic control said there was going to be a spot for us. I think airlines know this is an issue but are trying to fly the same nunber in and out as before even though the airports can't currently handle it.

I believe there is some runway construction going on at JFK. Limited access would certainly lead to delays on all airlines flying out of there during peak hours.

We had a round trip flight from Bos to MCO in July with a two hour delay on the way down (no explanation, a beautiful sunny day..) and a 40 minute delay on the way back. Our flight the month before was about 30 min delay each way. Until this year, we were pretty happy with Jetblue.

I just flew JetBlue for the first time this week -- Boston to LAX. On outbound and inbound we waited over 2 hrs for a drink. Is that typical? I can't say it was my favorite airline experience.

I just flew JetBlue for the first time this week -- Boston to LAX. On outbound and inbound we waited over 2 hrs for a drink. Is that typical? I can't say it was my favorite airline experience.

We fly JetBlue yearly from NY to Florida and they start taking drink orders as soon as the "fasten your seat belt" sign goes off. Maybe because it's a longer trip they try to spread it out? or maybe there was bad weather and the stewardess/stewards could not get out of their seats? That's strange.

We fly JetBlue yearly from NY to Florida and they start taking drink orders as soon as the "fasten your seat belt" sign goes off. Maybe because it's a longer trip they try to spread it out? or maybe there was bad weather and the stewardess/stewards could not get out of their seats? That's strange.
Interesting. I guess I will give them another chance. They were no Southwest!

If there was a delay, was your plane there? When I've had delays it's usually because the plane we will get on hasn't arrived yet. Bad weather elsewhere has a trickle-down effect.

Spent most of my recent flight years doing coast to coast or international so traveling to MCO makes me feel like a newbie.

I keep hearing relative good about SW but it's not a direct flight from the closest airports to me which puts JetBlue in the number one position.
My limited experience with this route had us on an early morning flight from LGA -MCO that actually arrived 10 minutes early. Lost that time aimlessly wandering the airport in Orlando but I accept that as a learning curve. Returning is when the fresh hell began. Pretty sure the flight left and arrived on time but we sat on the tarmac @ LGA for what seemed like ages before we were allowed to deplane. We were due to arrive around 10:00 PM which gave us an ETA of 11:15 PM to our front door. We dinna get home until almost almost 1:00 AM.

Was it JetBlue's or LGA's fault we sat in the enclosed plane breathing reused air? Don't know for sure but begrudgingly think it was prolly on LGA. 'Course who cares at that hour of the day?

I found the flight attendants polite, the snacks acceptable albeit uninspiring (I stuck to tomato juice which came with powdered lemon juice packet, a something new to me, and water) and the seats not too tight. At the gate waiting area during an iron fist in a velvet glove moment we were politely informed that there wasn't enough space for overhead storage and w/o the airline would assign luggage to the cargo area. We volunteered just fine and it amused me that in the 21st century what used to be a given had become something to avoid. I left my earphones at home so had to buy a pair to listen to the free TV. The internet was also free when available. Had to pay for a blanket. I refused it what with having an extensive collection from now mostly defunct airlines (Laker, US Airways, TWA) at home. Wait!? Does that mean I'm the reason we now have to pay to rent a binkie?!? Ohhh the shame.....

All in all the ride was kinda a domestic "dream flight" for a short haul and I'll probably stick with the devil I know UNLESS there's a massive price reduction out of SWF ;).

We flew from Newark To Orlando 2 times this year, both with delays around 2-3 hours long.
When we flew home from Orlando in September, the pilot literally walked off the plane and walked out of the building (we believe he quit). The crew spent around an hour looking for another pilot to cover the flight.
Our trip back home in March I believe was delayed 30ish minutes, but I can't remember the exact time.

That being said, the crew was very helpful and kind. For the September trip, we were all credited and they made the movies free.

Yikes! All these stories have me worried. We are flying Jetblue to Tampa soon...We usually fly SW. I hope I dont get a delay as we already wont be getting in until Dinnertime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter