What happens to Tomorrowland?

mummabear

DIS Veteran
After Star award land opens.
With Star Tours, the Payh of the Jedi, Launch bay, is the Star traders store and the show.
Do we think these things will stay? Move to SWL? To orrowland gets a refurb?

I have thought about this too. It doesn't seem like Star Tours is in the plans in the Star Wars Land mock-ups. Over in Orlando, at least Star Torus will be very close to the Star Wars area, but at DL it's really the other side of the park. I don't see them closing a popular ride though, so my thought is Star Tours stays where it is. I mean, it's not unprecedented to have a ride based off the same IP in a different area (maybe not int he same park though). Launch Bay will probably change though as it was always just a placeholder until the Star Wars lands were complete. I don't know what would go in there. The theater definitely needs a new show instead of Path of the Jedi.

Personally, I am looking forward to the "de-Star-Wars-ification" of DL's Tomorrowland as I felt it had taken over a bit too much. I do love Star Wars, but I love classic Tomorrowland as well.

We ALL dream of Tomorrowland getting a MAJOR refurb. We also dread that it might happen because it sounds like a logistical nightmare.

Star Tours won't move imho (where would they put it anyway?) and all the other things you mention are temporary type attractions/stores that are easily reconfigured to other lame temporary type attractions/stores.

I have wondered about this, too. It will be interesting to see what happens.

LOL. It is odd how a slow-moving, non-thrilling open air track ride has such a magical appeal to it. I have so many good memories from when I was a kid on that ride.
It was pure magic when I rode it for the first time in WDW during a Xmas party. (Admittedly my BFF & I had just ridden Space Mountain like 3 times in a row with no waiting so that might have influenced my magical feelings about that slow, calm ride...)

Some day they will do an overhaul of Tomorrowland. But rumors suggest it's a long ways out still with other projects getting green lighted first. I agree with the poster who said it will be a logistical nightmare. I just can't imagine how they could do a complete overhaul without closing it down, but then that would quarantine too many rides at once. Space Mountain doesn't need to go anywhere, but if it was closed so the whole land could be changed around it that would be disappointing. I guess they could do long maze like walls like they did at DCA and direct traffic to the few available attractions while they redo everything else.

Peoplemover! That would make me so happy to have it come back. The empty track is so sad-looking always. I have thought many a time it would be fun to plan a revamp perhaps Mickey and Minnie as tour guides around the park. A Mary Poppins ride...something cute :)

They could transport people in DCA, too! Put one over there, take your from Buena Vista street, to Screamin'! That is one LONG, HOT, WALK......

--Lori

I have thought about this too. It doesn't seem like Star Tours is in the plans in the Star Wars Land mock-ups. Over in Orlando, at least Star Torus will be very close to the Star Wars area, but at DL it's really the other side of the park. I don't see them closing a popular ride though, so my thought is Star Tours stays where it is. I mean, it's not unprecedented to have a ride based off the same IP in a different area (maybe not int he same park though). Launch Bay will probably change though as it was always just a placeholder until the Star Wars lands were complete. I don't know what would go in there. The theater definitely needs a new show instead of Path of the Jedi.

Personally, I am looking forward to the "de-Star-Wars-ification" of DL's Tomorrowland as I felt it had taken over a bit too much. I do love Star Wars, but I love classic Tomorrowland as well.

Yeah my family are not Star Wars fans either (nor am I), I do understand the theme deserving a land but I look forward to Tomorrowland not interim Star Wars land

I would love for ST to move to SW land and just pull everything SW out of TL (I'm getting sick of the hyper-focus on SW). Bring back the PeopleMover, upgrade Autopia to a hydrogen or solar power cars. Heck, build the Tron coaster over here too! (I would kill for a Tron themed land - I love those movies!!!!).

The problem with TL is that by the time the build new "futuristic" rides or attractions, the future is already here and it's old news. I like how DLP has themed their TL - a steampunk future based on the writings of Jules Verne and H.G. Wells.

TDA would do well to just bring down the entire land for months (let the focus go to SW land) and give the whole place a total reno. They are going to have to anyways to deal with the Peoplemover track - it's everywhere and part of everything!

I would love for ST to move to SW land and just pull everything SW out of TL (I'm getting sick of the hyper-focus on SW). Bring back the PeopleMover, upgrade Autopia to a hydrogen or solar power cars. Heck, build the Tron coaster over here too! (I would kill for a Tron themed land - I love those movies!!!!).

The problem with TL is that by the time the build new "futuristic" rides or attractions, the future is already here and it's old news. I like how DLP has themed their TL - a steampunk future based on the writings of Jules Verne and H.G. Wells.

TDA would do well to just bring down the entire land for months (let the focus go to SW land) and give the whole place a total reno. They are going to have to anyways to deal with the Peoplemover track - it's everywhere and part of everything!
I'm not sure SWL could absorb all the bodies out of Tomorrowland, especially with the increased traffic SWL will bring in on its own.

I would LOVE for them to bring the Tron coaster here!! And upgraded Autopia would be wonderful - I can't ride it any more due to the smells.

Tomorrowland is not really a "tomorrow's land"!

Finding Nemo Sub - not much submarine stories these days, seems to be used more often in the past Cold War
Autopia - tomorrow's technology is electric and possibly flying cars, yet they're still using gasoline
Star Tours - "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." ('nuff said :D)

The only rides made sense to have there are the Astro Orbiter and Space Mountain...

Just my 2 cents... :)

They really are stuck between a rock and a hard place with Tomorrowland. Technology is always changing and planning and construction takes so long that major renovations are likely to be obsolete shortly after they open. They cant scrap it altogether because it's such an iconic and original part of the park. Adding the Star Wars stuff was a stop gap measure that will no longer work when Galaxy's Edge opens.

I'm really not sure what the answer is. I'd love to see the Tron coaster go in, but I'm not sure that will ever happen with it already set to open at the Magic Kingdom. Autopia needs to be updated to electric vehicles, you would think they could get Tesla to help them out with that. I think a dark ride based on a futuristic city on Mars would be cool. Maybe a top notch VR attraction? Whatever the answer is, they need to do something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter