What do you consider a fever?

How long has it been since you first came down with symptoms?
4 days since I noticed the first symptoms, 3 days since it peaked. I’m taking it easy, avoiding the kids as much as possible, disinfecting everything, and wearing a mask when I have to do something for them. And washing my hands like crazy!!! I’m not coughing or sneezing, I’ve just had a sinus headache. We’ve all been vaccinated, and the doctor said that is probably why my case was mild.

i tend to ruun 99.9 for a normal temp, so my fever is usually 101=102 - but can still function like a normal person

its when i hit a low grade fever - 99 or below that i get super sick

100.4F is what I think most healthcare providers consider a fever.
Personally if I feel like crap and my temp is 99.9F I have a fever.
If I feel fine and my temp is that then its not a fever.
I'm sure you're fine if your temp has not spited at all in the last 36 hours.

Depends what your normal temp is, mine is 97 so if I reach the "normal" 98.6, I have a fever. I don't think there's a one size fits all even though a lot say 100.4. If mine was 100.4, I'd feel like crap and certainly not well enough to work.

I'm the same as well. My normal temp is also 97 so for me, I consider 99 a fever. So does my thermometer. Once it hits a high enough temp, in this case 99, it has a faster beep to let me know my temp is elevated.

I want to get back to regular life and taking care of my kids. I’m worried I will give this to them.

I hit 100 after going shopping. But I am wearing a mask and washing my hands like crazy when I get near anyone.

I'm confused. Are you saying you are worried about giving what you have to your kids but you went shopping?

Just curious, OP, do you know where/how you picked it up? You seem (like me) to be a very careful person with this stuff.

Just curious, OP, do you know where/how you picked it up? You seem (like me) to be a very careful person with this stuff.

My rheumatologist was wearing a mask for the sniffles when I saw her Monday, but she took it off when she was examining me. Hubby had a 24 hour thing Wednesday. So I’m betting one of those 2.

I've always felt it was a personal thing. My kids and I will measure very close to 96.8 as our normal every day temp, which seems low to me, but I've had so many nurses retake our temp and that's where we are consistently. Soo if we were 99.5 I would be worried. But my husband seems to be the expected 98.6 so for him to be 99 wouldn't be as big a deal. If you're super concerned about it, take another day of precautions, better safe than sorry.

I'm the same as well. My normal temp is also 97 so for me, I consider 99 a fever. So does my thermometer. Once it hits a high enough temp, in this case 99, it has a faster beep to let me know my temp is elevated.
This is me as well. As in, it's been noted by my doctors multiple times throughout my life that my temp run below what is considered "normal" and, as such, what would be considered a low grade fever for others would be a real fever for me. Just the way my body works.

OP, whenever you get better, it might be worth your while just to see how your temp runs normally. Everyone's different. I've done this before. I find I generally run between 98.3 and 98.7. A few times during the day (and it seems to be mid-day), I'll get up to 99.2 here and there. There's not rhyme or reason to it (not overly active, not doing anything special), but it generally comes back down. For me, if I hit 99.5 and I feel unwell, I consider it a fever. Low grade, but a fever nonetheless. It would also be a normal fever/temp for a cold.

If you really do have influenza, I believe that you shed for 5-7 after the first symptoms regardless of fever.

OP, whenever you get better, it might be worth your while just to see how your temp runs normally. Everyone's different. I've done this before. I find I generally run between 98.3 and 98.7. A few times during the day (and it seems to be mid-day), I'll get up to 99.2 here and there. There's not rhyme or reason to it (not overly active, not doing anything special), but it generally comes back down. For me, if I hit 99.5 and I feel unwell, I consider it a fever. Low grade, but a fever nonetheless. It would also be a normal fever/temp for a cold.

If you really do have influenza, I believe that you shed for 5-7 after the first symptoms regardless of fever.
You sound like me exactly. I used to be 97.6 before kids, but I’ve been running high 98’s and even 99 sometimes during the day for the past couple years.

I normally run low 97.5 on average. So if I was feeling ill and my temp was 99.5 then I would have a fever. It wouldn't be high enough for me to treat but it would mean there was something going on. I would listen to your doctor but you know how you feel and you know if you are sick. Even without a fever you could pass something to your kids.

Ok so you are currently diagnosed with the flu and your temp has gone down to 99.5?
I misunderstood, but still I think it depends on what your regular temp is on average.
That could still be a fever for you so I'd just continue to do what you are doing as far as the kids and wait another day to see.

I'm a hypochondriac & a germaphobe, so I wouldn't want you around *my* kids if your temperature was 99.5 & you'd been recently diagnosed w/ the flu.

However, I think, according to the CDC, a person is contagious w/ the flu for 5-7 days, & children can be contagious for longer.

Do you still feel ill?

I run cold (around 97), so if I hit 99 then I consider myself to be slightly feverish. My mom is a nurse, though, so I grew up in the mindset that you're only sick if you're dying. So I would probably only seek out a doctor if I hit 100+

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter