What character meal do you think will work for a solo adult traveler?

Missy1961

Knows who did it and why
I've posted this on the restaurant thread, but it works here as well:
I'd like some opinions, please.

I'm thinking of doing a solo trip sometime next year---perhaps Sept. or Oct. I love character meals, but up to now, I've done them with kids (nieces & nephews). I have no problems with eating at a restaurant alone and I know I want to do a character meal. But I'm not sure which one I should do. So I'd love your opinions. I'm not that concerned about the quality of the food (but I won't be happy if the food is horrible). If you been to one where you noticed the character interaction was good with adults as well as kids, that would be perfect. Breakfast or dinner, buffet or sit down, that's not a concern either. I'd prefer one at the parks, but I can be swayed to go to one at a resort (especially a dinner). Thanks for your help!

Last May I went to Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace, and 1900 PF solo.

I felt really comfortable solo at Chef Mickey's everyone was really nice, character's all came up to me, it was great. I also had lots of people, other guests at other tables, as well as CM's offer to take pictures for me. It was definately the favorite of the three.

I liked Crystal Palace, but not as much. Most of the character's were good, but I did have one or two just ignore me. I wasn't ignored, but the CM weren't as helpful as Chef Mickey's.

I felt really out of place at 1900 PF though. I was put in a high traffic spot and pretty much ignored. The characters were focusing more on the children, and I had to motion them over several times, they were just ignoring me. I also had to practically beg people to take puctures for me. It was not a nice experience.

I plan on going back to Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace on my solo trip in Dec, but don't plan on going to 1900 PF any time soon.

I eat at Epcot's Garden Grill once or twice per month because I LOVE the character interaction there. A few of my visits were solo. They sat me in a booth and I got LOTS of attention from my favorite characters, who even sat down in the booth with me for awhile. The key to this is dining at an off time - late lunch/early dinner - and preferably on a weekday. If the place is packed with kids, the characters may give you a little less attention, but they won't forget you.

Another good place for solo character dining is Liberty Tree Tavern at MK. Again, it's best to choose a slightly off time.

I usually find Crystal Palace to be too crowded and the characters seem rushed, but perhaps I've just had bad timing.

Enjoy!

Went to Chef's Mickeys, and found the character interaction great, except Mickey forgot to stop by our table. We mentioned something to the server, and she ensured that we got a special private shot with Mickey for the forgetfulness.
Goofy and Chip met us (all adults) at the door and ensured that we got a photo with them before we sat.
Honestly, it was great to see how they ensured the adults were taken care of as well as the younger children.
Loved it, and plan on returning this September - Jo

I had a lot of fun at LTT solo. Dale sprayed me with water LOL but came back and sat across from me to "share" my food! Goofy also came and sat with me and pretended to share my dessert. my waitress was great and took a number of pictures, Goofy refused to leave until she took a picture of me kissing his nose:rolleyes: a grandma at another table with her children and grandchildren stopped on her way out to tell me how jealous she was of all the attention i got;)

i did not enjoy CP as much though. i have been there before with DD and had a great time, but on my solo trip it was very busy and the characters stopped by briefly but the waiter was never around to ask to take pictures. i did not get one picture. however, i really enjoy watching the characters interact with the other families so i was just a little dissappointed. this meal was at dinner.

i think it can really be hit and miss, it depends on how busy the restaurant is and who you get as a waiter.hope you enjoy wherever you decide to go.

katypop

I usually do CP, but tried Cape May last trip and LOVED IT!!! Goofy came and sat with me, Minnie stopped by and posed for a picture and Chip came to my table numerous times.

Also the location is great with easy access to Epcot or MGM to be at the entrance early for opening!!! :teeth:

I've never been by myself, but I have to recommend Chef Mickey's for adult character dining. It is just an overall fun atmosphere, and the characters do give adults a lot of attention, even when you're at the buffet line.

I was thinking 1900 Park Fare would be perfect for a solo diner.

We sat in a small table for two, which was in the center of the room, but had a wall between us and the buffet. I'd feel comfortable there alone.

The character interaction was wonderful. Cinderella and Prince Charming both stopped and talked with us (no kids) and both insisted on taking pictures with us.

The mice were the hit.

They came back several times. The CM couldn't have been nicer.

I would go there alone and before or after dinner I'd sit in the lobby and listen to the music.

Karen

Anybody ever tried Ohana's?

I went there with my dh some time ago for breakfast. The noise level was deafening (for example, they had kids marching around with instruments) and it was in general an exceptionally child-oriented meal with tons of kids swarming the characters. We had to get the CMs to get characters to even say hello to us. I am not saying I expect a sedate experience -- the atmosphere is part of the fun -- but we would not go back there and I cannot recommend it for adults or solos.

A good character experience that I don't think has been mentioned is the hard to get into breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table. The number of characters was very impressive and they all stopped by and spent time with us.

Interestingly, I recently had a chance to speak with a former CM, I mean character, who did meals and outside appearances plus parades. I don't want to spoil any of the magic, but the character meals are very challenging for the characters for a number of reasons. It made me more sympathetic for the characters who do pass adults over, but sympathy or not, if I am going, I want the character greeting and will still tell a CM if we don't get a visit.

:wave: Cupcake

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter